Pain in lower left pelvis, NO ORGANS LEFT??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in lower left pelvis, NO ORGANS LEFT??? Pain in lower left pelvis, NO ORGANS LEFT???

Unread 02-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Pain in lower left pelvis, NO ORGANS LEFT???

I was just wondering is anyone has had pain in the lower left pelvic area and what it is caused from. I have a total hyst in 2001 and BSO and I feel like I did when I had cysts on and in my ovaries. I am having alot of bowel problems and bladder incontinence and severe hemmeroids and am in the process of finding out what the next step is. I just started having this left pelvic pain a few days ago and it shoots down the front of my leg and then radiates to the right side sometimes. None of my Dr's know about it yet. I see my PCM Wednesday and will let her know, but what could possible be causing the pain there? I have a million questions and the problems just keep popping up and getting worse every day. I am going to post a couple of more questions, I hope I dont drive you all nuts!!! I just cant stand not knowing what the heck is wrong, or how it will be fixed. I know I am in for another surgery, I just dont know exactly what else needs to be done besides the Bladder sling.

I have now, after being diagnosed with severe stress incontinence started leaking uncontrolably without any force to cause it. I get up from going and feel it still coming out and sometimes feel it when I am just sitting. Am I making it worse by straining to have a BM and urinate?? I can not go unless I strain. It is causing my insides to feel sore. Sorry to go on and on. I am just really confused and thought after my hyst I would be a new woman. Well I am a new one, just a messed up one. I need to trade in for a new model, I seem to have a lemon!!!

Thanks.. Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 10:27 PM

Oh (((Pam))) you sound so uncomfortable! Straining is definitely not a good thing, especially if you suspect bowel problems.

Do you do your kegel exercises regularly? Here is a link to an explanation about kegels:

All About Kegels

Are you on any kind of HRT? One cause of urinary incontinence is low estrogen level. It can cause urethral atrophy as well as vaginal atrophy (which would cause pain and possibly bleeding during sex).

I had lower left sided abdominal pain at a little less than a month post hyst and again a couple of weeks ago. Mine is due to diverticulitis, and the section of colon that is affected is in the lower left side of my belly. When I have an attack the pains are coupled with cycling fevers, which is the tipoff to infection being the source of the problem. The pains do radiate down into the leg and over to the other side when they're really bad.

Have you been referred to a gastroenterologist yet? That might be a good next step.

Hang in there Pam, I hope you find out what's causing the pain soon so you can get better.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Linda

Thanks for replying so soon.

I take Premarin 1.25 EVERY day and the last GYN visit I had he told me my HRT has not been absorbig at all for quite some time. He also looked at my lab work I had done by my PCM and found out I have hypothroidism and put me on thyroid meds. I have another check up the first of next month for another pelvic exam, but he said it did not look good in there at all.

I have been doing Kegals since after my hyst over a year ago and it has not helped at all. I even went to a physical therapist to make sure I was doing them correctly. I was, but still did not help.

I have not been to a Gastroenterologist yet, just a Urologist and Neurosurgeon for my back and my GYN and PCM. I guess that will be the next step. They did not refer me bacause they wanted to make sure my bowel probs were not related to my back (which he said they are not related) NOW that is finally ruled out, I can get the help I really need, hopefully. It just seems to get worse every day and I am scared I am making things worse with all of the straining.

Thanks for the help and advise!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Pam,

's....Sorry you're having these troubles. I had TAH/RSO in June of 2002 and thought it would be the end of my troubles but after a few weeks, it seemed that it had opened up Pandora's box so I know how you must be feeling right now. Please don't ever feel like you are driving us nuts....you are not. I promise.

Linda is right, straining is not a good thing but I know how you feel, I had the same problem post hsyt, I had to strain to urinate which struck me funny because at the same time I was leaking urine. I also had alot of similiar problems as what you are describing.....pain that was there most all of the time but also would shoot down my leg and into my back.

I also had alot of bowel problems, you don't say exactly what kind of bowel related problems you are having, but for me it was diarrhea, I also had the incontinence issues and at the same time I had to strain in order to void urine. I had never had a problem in either one of these areas prior to my hyst, I was 33 at the time that I had it done.

I'll try to make a long story short here, alot of my problems turned out to be caused by extensive adhesions. The adhesions had adhered themseleves to my bowels and were causing my bowels to spasm and void prematurely which could also cause them to work slower than usual and produce constipation (which in my case, I would have welcomed at the time). Adhesions can also cause tremendous pain because they tug and pull on internal organs. My incontinence problems were due to the fact that my bladder had fallen and needed to be better supported. I have since been back to surgery and no longer have the incontinence issues and have had a break from the bowel problems but realize that adhesions are something that I will always have to deal with.

I'm glad that you have an appointment coming up with your dr and I hope that he/she is able to provide you with some answers and hoefully some relief. Come here any time that you have questions or just need somewhere to vent.

Let us know what happens at your appointment. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Lots of and 's
Dawn

Please keep in mind that this is just my experience and you should always see your doctoer.
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:31 AM

Pam:

Take a look at some recent posts by DianeDaisy77 . She posted recently with a number of links about intestinal "remodeling" -- from the sound of things, this may be what has happened to you.

Certainly all that straining can damage your bladder repair! One of Diane's threads discusses chronic constipation and the price it extracts, which is where those links are found.

Unfortunately, there is some testing that you should probably consider, like colonoscopy, to really delineate the cause of the constipation, and perhaps by extension this pain you're experiencing. I know that I have pain on days when I've not been regular, and I've made some significant dietary changes to try to make sure that I stay regular. Straining is not good, and I'm probably on the verge of prolapse, so I'm trying to guarantee that I don't have to each day...

It could be adhesions, or some inflammation from the bladder repair, or a combination of all of the above. I hope you get some answers, and some relief, soon!

Audrey
Unread 02-18-2003, 03:50 AM

Sending big s your way dear. I am so sorry to hear of all the pain and issues you are having. Sounds like you could have multiple things going on... I agree with Linda & Audrey, your next step is probably a gastro DR to see if anything is going on in there or not? Left sided pain can definitely be colon or large intestine related- I have seen a lot of post on recteole(sp?sorry) here too- you might want to check into the symptoms for that as well.

Adhesions definitely could be the culprit too but you will need to eliminate any other possibilities usually.

I know from experience that hormones definitely play a huge part in my digestive situation don't know why but I had terrible problems with constipation during puberty, pregnancy and PMS times. Did your DR say what they were going to try to get your body to help it absorb HRT or change it or what??

You might want to discuss with the Urologist your straining situation too- to let him know how much pressure you are putting on that area.

Just some thoughts..... You will be in my thoughts and prayers for some resolution. Hang in there and keep us posted.

BIG S
DLK
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:27 AM

Hi Pam

I kept my ovaries when I had my hyst and I've been having these cyclic pains in my right lower abs. Especially since it tends to be cyclic, I was convinced that it was my right ovary causing problems. However, it turns out that, in my case, the pain is caused by a spastic colon. It's really strange, since there's no cramping, just this very specific pain, that can sometimes irradiate to my back, but is mostly located to this one spot in my abdomen.

I hope that your doctor has answers for you real soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register