Extremely sharp pain in lower pelvis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Extremely sharp pain in lower pelvis Extremely sharp pain in lower pelvis

Unread 02-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Extremely sharp pain in lower pelvis

Hi ladies !

I'm just wondering if any of you have had this. For the past couple of days I've been getting sharp pains in my lower pelvic area. And I'm talking "stop you dead in your tracks" - "screaming" type of sharp pain
I know what you are all gonna say - that I should see my Dr. And I will if it doesnt go away in another day or so. I'm thinking that maybe its gas since I have been having some gas lately But its in the same area every time it happens - it never varies. What do you guys think ? (other than that I should see my Dr.)
I have been taking gas-x & it hasnt really helped. And I PROMISE that I will go see my Dr. if it doesnt stop real soon.
Thanks for any input any of you may have

's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2003, 08:43 PM
well it could be

Hi,
Yes, we're all gonna say please see the doctor. I can also offer to you that when I had that kind of pain, and beleive me I did, it was a severe diverticulitis attack, which did include gas - yuck, yes it was awful. It seems for many of us, diverticulitis seems to hit a lot on the lower left, where the sigmoid colon is, but can also travel around, which mine also seemed to do. Gas-x doesn't really help if there is an infection. So please see the doctor? Pretty please? Let us know how you are doing.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:36 PM

I'm with Druid on this Susan, you could be having some type of attack that involves the bowel. Just my opinion though, do you have any other bowel signs like diarrea(sp?) or constipation around the time of the attack??? Do you get relief when you have a BM or pass gas??? You might want to make a journal of what brings on the attack and the time of day etc. Great info to help DR make a good dx. Also wondering if anyone has had a stomach bug around the house ?? There is a nasty one in my area right now with lots of stomach pains but I don't believe it is usual for that type of pain to stay local or continue.

SO yes, I agree you do need to check with your DR on this dear especially if it continues..

Lots of S
DLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2003, 10:09 PM

(((Susan))), I've got to chime in and agree with (((Druid)))... my diverticulitis pains are super sharp, stabbing, drop you in your tracks pains too. They can be lower left abdomen but I've also had them right in the lower middle, around the pubic bone. It's nothing to fool around with. Please call your DR OK? And check your temp to see if you have a fever?

We'll be waiting to hear what the DR says on this.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-18-2003, 11:51 PM

Thanks guys !!

I NEVER even thought of diverticulitis ! And I do have diverticulosis !!!!!! Its just been awhile since I've had an attack (over 3 years) & so I guess I just didnt think of that.
I dont want one of those nasty barium enema's !
I've already had 3 of them done over the years - & the last one was a real killer. Is there any other test they can do to dx diverticulitis ? Anyone know ?
And my pain is right smack in the middle of my lower pelvis - its always in that same spot every time I get "the pains". I was talking to my mom earlier on the phone when it happened again. She told me that it shouldnt be anything to worry about if its only "on & off" instead of constant pain. Wrongo !! I told her I will go to the Dr. if its still doing it tommorrow.
I just thought of something - I bought a pecan pie. Anyway, is pecans something that might start a diverticulitis flare ? Cant remember
Thanks for all the input - I will let you all know what happens tommorrow.

((((((((Hugs)))))))) to all of you !

Susan
Unread 02-19-2003, 12:26 AM

Yep, those pecans are a big for those with diverticulosis. The little sharp fragments of nuts can scratch the lining of the diverticulae.

Are you having fevers? Cycling fevers are a pretty common symptom of the infection.

Mine was originally diagnosed by an abdominal CT scan with contrast. The test itself was a piece of cake -- hated the prep (mine was Fleet Phospho Soda the night before, plus the barium junk to drink just before the test). Then later on down the road when the infection was healed, I had a colonoscopy.... that is normally enough to see everything but the DR couldn't complete it due to the tight curve in my colon so I had the barium enema... wouldn't have wished that on my worst enemy especially when I was still kind of newly post hyst. Hopefully you won't have to have one though!

(((Susan))) I think you'd better call your DR in the morning and get this checked out. Better safe than sorry!
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:38 AM

Susan-

If you already have been diagnosed with divert. then maybe you are a phone call away from some good advice from DR on how to calm the attacks down. Strick diet for couple of days etc??? I would think that a colonoscopy would be able to dx the status of yours but like Linda said some people have twisted etc bowels or colon and still end up having the enema, I agree I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, yuck!! I don't know why they don't use twilight with that test it was probably one of the most uncomfortable test I remember

Here's hoping you can find some calmness to the bowel thing and get beyond this attack.

s,
DLK
Unread 02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
((((((((((Susan))))))))))

Gosh hun...I'm sorry to hear that you are having this pain. I agree with the other's about calling your doc...so I won't go on too much about it

I was having very sharp right sided pain a while back...and after a few days, my sister drove me to the ER. I was so bad, I could barely breath. The docs didn't find anything, but at my follow up appoint's with my docs, they discovered something was going on with my bladder (and they are still trying to figure it out LOL)

Since you have previously been dx'd with diverticulosis I bet it has something to do with that, as well as that pecan pie! Please make that call...and let us know....we you.

S from Jude
Unread 02-19-2003, 10:19 AM

Thanks girls !

So far I havent had any sharp attacks of pain yet today - maybe its subsided ?
If it happens again AT ALL today then I promise I will call the Dr. Oh & Linda, I havent had any fevers at all.
I dont know what I would do without my sisters
I'll let you know if I have to call the Dr. 's

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register