Confused about report and scared!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about report and scared!!!! Confused about report and scared!!!!

Unread 02-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Confused about report and scared!!!!

A little confused and need some help. I posted this in an msn support group for women that are going thru or have gone thru Cervical Dysplasia.

Just got my report from the clinic on my last pap last year. Can you help me here. This is what it saids:
Satisfactory for evaluation.
Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. <---What does that mean?

This part I believe is the colpscopy report when everything first happen 2 years ago.
It saids:
COLP/BX
Previous Abnormal: HGSIL <--- What is HGSIL?

I have to wait for the hospital for the pathological reports from the hysterectomy

This is what my responce from one of the ladies there. Is she right?

hi there, i just read your post about the terms you have heard, mine were exactly the same i know what atypical of undetermines sig means thats the patholigy's way of saying its not mind but there not sure how bad it is meaning get in for a colopscopy...so really its nothing to panic over and for your high grade lessions thats what i had that means its the worst stage BEFORE cancer so its basically a warning to get this taken care of IMMEDIATELY... i know how you feel been there done that and these terms are VERY scary but all in all its not that bad at all.... hope i helped...tam

Is she right about last years pap? Should I be moving my pap up from April till now? Or should I just wait to see what my pathological report showed from the hysterectomy?

I'm getting very confused and scared!!!
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2003, 06:29 PM

Hi Linda,

Here's a link to a site which gives the definition of ASCUS:

ASCUS

And here's one for HGSIL. You'll read that this is the term used by labs using the Bethesda System. HGSIL can be compared to CIN2 or CIN3 which you will see more often on this board. CIN2 is a moderate dysplasia, CIN3 is a severe dysplasia. They are all considered pre-cancers.

HGSIL
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:57 PM

Hi Again!

I wanted to get those links in my last post and submitted before I responded to your other question about moving up the pap.

Most of us who have had our hysts for cervical cancers or pre-cancers are on a schedule of frequent paps for 5 yrs or so....often every 3 months for 2 yrs then every 6 months until the 5th year and then yearly.

There's no reason for you to be this anxious any longer than necessary. Would you consider calling your dr and letting him know how upset you're getting? Maybe he'll book the pap sooner to help ease your mind. Dr's are used to their patients starting to worry about those "what if's"! Did your dr tell you what the final path showed after your hyst?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2003, 06:34 AM

Hi Em

Thank you for those links. They did help me understand more.
The oncologist called me and told me they were all gone that I was diease free. Then they went on about having the paps 1 every year for the first 2 years, then 1 in three years and then 1 every 5 years.

When I read this part of my last year pap
Satisfactory for evaluation.
Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance.

That has me going. When the nurse called me last year all she kept on saying was to Make Sure I came back next year for another pap. She just kept on repeating it. I know it has been stuck in my mind since then till even now. She never really said if the report was good or bad just to come back next year. She wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Linda
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:31 PM

's Linda!

I'm so glad that you were able to get a copy of your reports! It is so important that we pay attention to what's going on so that we can be well-informed when making our medical decisions.

When your report says "satisfactory for evaluation" that means that the sample that was sent to the lab was of reasonable quality and that the lab believed it got a good reading of the quality of your cells.

Those are some good links that EM gave you. An atypical cell is not the same thing as an abnormal cell. It sounds as if your cells weren't exactly normal, but couldn't be qualified as abnormal either. Lots of things can cause that. About a year after my TAH, I had a PAP with ASCUS. My doctor called me back and scheduled a colposcopy with a vinegar test (so that he could visualize the cells better). As it turned out, he didn't see any problem areas, but he did send in several scrapings to be analyzed which came back normal. So I don't know why I had an ASCUS reading, but my doc felt it was important to do a thorough follow-up on it.

My own schedule of follow-ups has been: every 3 months for 2 years, with one of those visits being a colposcopy each year. Now that I'm past 2 years, I go in every 4 months for this 3rd year. Then, if all continues to go well, I will graduate to every 6 months for the next few years. We are not inclined to even go to 12 month visits. But maybe in another 5 years if I continue to have normal PAPs we'll reconsider.

While you are asking questions, you might like ask your doctor if he is using the ThinPrep test. In this test you put the cell scrapings into a vial of fluid rather than fixing them on a slide. The readings are believed to be more accurate, and many docs are using them now with their patients who have had previous abnormal PAP's.

If you are uncomfortable, Linda, then call your doc and see if you can move your appointment up. Or if you feel that you are not getting complete information for the questions you are asking, consider getting a second opinion from another doctor--perhaps another gyn/onc? You are in charge of your health care and it's not unreasonable to expect open, honest, complete answers.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Unread 02-26-2003, 01:30 PM

I had a LEEP in September and followup pap and colpscopy (with too many biopsies --- ouch!!) in mid-January. The biopsies came back fine but the pap smear came back atypical cells.....undertermined significance. My gynecologist is sending me to the oncologist for yet another colpsocopy to be on the safe side -- I am not looking forward to it, but better safe than sorry. I think also that you should ask your doctor to move up your appt. It would make you feel so much better. This whole thing is upsetting enough!!!!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register