Silly Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly Question Silly Question

Unread 02-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Silly Question

I am scheduled for a TH on 3/10/03, don't know if it will be tummy or otherwise yet. My silly question is, I have been having really troublesome (bladder) leakage problems, which have worsened as I wait for my date. I have a chronic cough and guess what? You got it, I leak every time. Just like old faithful. Anyway, the whole hyster thing happened pretty quickly and I was concentrating on the 6 month period I had--I didn't really bring this up with my doc. It's too late, huh? Does a urologist HAVE to be present to do something to relieve the bladder problem? Does just removing all that junk help with my problem, that's what I thought originally, but now I read on all the boards about a urologist..Help!!

DR
LIW and W and W and W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Silly Question

Has anyone ever diagnosed the cause of the leaking bladder? If not, I wouldn't assume a hysterectomy will cure it, and especially you can't count on the doctor doing anything if he doesn't know there's a bladder problem. I think you should tell him now and see what he suggests. I would NOT advise having a gynecologist do bladder surgery-that's for a uro-gyn or urologist.

In my case, there was a fibroid attached to my bladder on the day of surgery. During surgery, my gyn called in a urologist for help.

Why do you have a chronic cough?
Unread 02-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Silly Question

Thanks for responding. First my cough is asthma/rheumatoid arthritis related. On to the bladder, it just started with my 6 month period and has worsened during this wait. So really over the last 3 months. My uterus is quite enlarged and I believe it's pressing on my bladder. I have my "nurse" appointment on Monday and will mention it then. My pre op is 3/6 and will tell the doc again at that time. I just REALLY don't want to delay the operation. I feel like I have waited so very long. Thanks for listening.

DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2003, 07:34 PM
urologist

I was lucky enough to have my OB GYN refer me to a urologist right away. He was able to tell that my bladder was starting to fall and with the removal of the uterus, would eventually drop. My problem however was 2 weeks before surgery, the insurance company (CIGNA) tried to deny that portion of the surgery. They wanted the urologist to prescribe drugs to see if that would help. I was give a prescription, (and I can't really say what I did with it) but for some reason, it wasn't effective. The urologist notified the insurance company right away and I was then approved for surgery. You may want to run that by your doctor since time is ticking. Hope that helps a little. In my opinion, it's best to get everything taken care of the first time if you can.

Kos
TAH, rectocele repair, bladder sling
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Bladder Leakage

Hi: I too was lucky that my gyn referred me right away to a urologist. He did all the required tests within a week so it could be approved by the insurance company to be done with the hyster. Then both doctors got together on a date and ta da!!! I finally got relief from both problems. I am almost 4 months post op and feel great. Go ahead and let your gyn know about the problems with leakage and maybe you can get a 2 for 1 surgery, lol.

LaDonna
Unread 02-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Silly Question

Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate the input and hope. I will be sure to bring it up on Monday when I see the nurse. She is top-notch.

DR
Unread 02-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Silly Question

I know just what you mean. I had a chronic cough that would not go away and you know what happens...When I saw Dr I let him know just how dangerous it was to cough and he sent me to a urologist. The urologist did a quick and only slightly uncomfortable test with a catheter scope and some saline to fill my bladder. He said I had mild stress incontinence caused by the cough and that if I didn't get it repaired at the same time as my hyst, it would eventually get worse down the line and I would have to come back and get it done later. Well, one cut is enough for me. I am letting the two Dr's get together to fix me up. You need to let your Dr know so if he decides it's necessary, you'll only have to go through surgery once. Good Luck!
Unread 02-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Silly Question

My uterus was pressing on my bladder which meant I had to go all the time and I did have some leakage sometimes if I coughed or sneezed. My hyst solved all that but I wouldn't leave it to chance.
Unread 02-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Silly Question

I really appreciate the replies. I didn't really have a problem until everything started to get so big inside...if you know what I mean. I just hope I don't delay the surgery, because I can hardly wait until 3/10.

You ladies are all so wonderful, thanks again.

DR

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register