Not feeling like much of a Princess now ... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not feeling like much of a Princess now ... Not feeling like much of a Princess now ...

Unread 02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Not feeling like much of a Princess now ...

Linda - I don't know you too well, but I just read your post and said 'ouch' - sending you big hugs (well not TOO big don't wanna hurt!). I hope it all goes well for you - and as the others have said, be sure to lean on us for a change!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2003, 12:35 PM

((((((Linda))))))),
No wonder you dont feel like a Princess... Look at all your going thru & facing such a major surgery I'm sorry the barriers cant be used..when Mom had this surgery, at her consult, I asked her Surgeon about Adhesion formattion w/ this surgery. He stated Adhesions were something that will always form with surgery & they are nothing to worry about Excuuussseee me, yes they can become a large problem!! Hopefully, since he is the *Chief Surgeon* his skill & techniques are above standard. The better skilled the Surgeon, the less chance of forming an extensive amount of Adhesions!!
Morphine has such a short half-life, I dont care for it either. Dilaudid is strong but the Fentanyl is 100x more potent than Morphine, its used in mcgs. Unfortunately, all Narcotic pain meds are notorius for causing constipation...I would talk to your Surgeon about using a stool softener to help?? I have found Mepreghan (Demerol & Phenegran) to be the best at relieving post-op pain for me. So many of them make me soo nauseas & the Phenegran really helps. I had this in IM form(shots) for post-op pain control after my Bowel Obstruction surgery. I was prescribed the pill (Mepreghan) when I was released. Here are some links with info on Pain meds:

http://www.painmed.org/

Frequently Asked Surgery Questions:
http://www.askaamc.org/services/surgery_faq.php

American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine:
http://www.asra.com/

http://painlinks.org/scheduled%20drugs.htm

TIME Magazine: THE CASE FOR MORPHINE:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/19..._case_for.html

http://painlinks.org/meds.htmlPain Control After Surgery: Pain Medicines:
http://www.familydoctor.org/handouts/259.html

Pain Control After Surgery: Know Your Options:
http://www.familydoctor.org/handouts/260.html

http://pain.expertviewpoint.com/Foru...rent/Q273.html

http://www.hypermobility.org/painmedications.shtml

http://www.keytocare.com/glossary_6.htm

http://doctorsforpain.com/patient/commonmeds.html

http://www.painfoundation.org/page.a...e_links.htm#22

Quote:
Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before You Have Surgery:
Are you facing surgery? You are not alone. Millions of Americans have surgery each year. Most operations are not emergencies. This means you have time to ask your surgeon questions about the operation and time to decide whether to have it, and if so, when and where. The information presented here does not apply to emergency surgery.

The most important questions to ask about elective surgery are why the procedure is necessary for you and what alternatives there are to surgery. If you do not need to have the operation, then you can avoid any risks that might result. All surgeries and alternative treatments have risks and benefits. They are only worth doing if the benefits are greater than the risks.

Your primary care doctor, that is, your regular doctor, may be the one who suggests that you have surgery and may recommend a surgeon. You may want to identify another independent surgeon to get a second opinion. Check to see if your health insurance will pay for the operation and the second opinion. If you are eligible for Medicare, it will pay for a second opinion. You should discuss your insurance questions with your health insurance company or your employee benefits office.

Following are 12 questions to ask your primary care doctor and surgeon before you have surgery, and the reasons for asking them. The answers to these questions will help you be informed and help you make the best decision. Sources are listed at the end of these questions to help you get more information from other places.

Your doctors should welcome questions. If you do not understand the answers, ask the doctors to explain them clearly. Patients who are well informed about their treatment tend to be more satisfied with the outcome or results of their treatment.

What operation are you recommending?
Why do I need the operation?
Are there alternatives to surgery?
What are the benefits of having the operation?
What are the risks of having the operation?
What if I don't have this operation?
Where can I get a second opinion?
What has been your experience in doing the operation?
Where will the operation be done?
What kind of anesthesia will I need?
How long will it take me to recover?
How much will the operation cost? Surgeons' Qualifications
Big ((((hugs)))) Linda...pls know your Sisters are here for you & will be holding your hand in spirit every step of the way
((((hugs))))
Unread 02-22-2003, 01:32 PM

s and s and more s Linda

I to am sorry to hear you have to go through another surgery.....But I am happy you like the surgeon....Always here for you sweet sister

Sis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2003, 01:47 PM

{{{Linda}}}
I'm sorry you're facing another surgery, but better to fix it now than to have the situation get worse.
Hang in there Linda! March will be here before you know it. Time goes by so quickly these days.
Unread 02-22-2003, 02:50 PM
hugs

Hi!
I'm sorry you need the surgery but very happy you have a good doctor and a plan to take care of this problem before it gets worse. I sure do know waiting is the worst, but then it seems the time can go fast once you get close to that date and the millions of things you may try to do before you go to the castle. As far as pain meds, Dilaudid is my med of choice, it has worked when nothing else would. I will keep you in my prayers.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 02-22-2003, 06:09 PM

Hi Linda

So sorry about your upcoming surgery, but it will be here soon and you will feel so much better..you have helped so many of us and we are all here for you too!!
Many s
Karen
Unread 02-22-2003, 06:43 PM
post operative painkillers

Linda: Sorry to hear you have to have more surgery. I've followed the discussion here on concern of painkillers, especially narcotics being constipating. Just read an interesting tidbit about a new (was approved by FDA last year) device called ON-Q (the pain relief ball). It's a balloon like device with catheters. It delivers a non-narcotic medication right to the site where needed! It's been studied on women having abdominal hysters and C-sections. Significantly reduced or eliminated the need for narcotics after surgery. This might not be right for your case, but just thought it was interesting. Gives one hope that they might be developing new things. Good luck with your surgery. I'll be "checking" on you!
Unread 02-22-2003, 06:45 PM

Oops: Information can be found: www.AskYourSurgeon.com.
It is being adapted for use in other surgeries.
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:02 AM

Thank you (((Sisters))) for all the s and helpful info... I am going through the options for pain management and leaning towards toradol IV with the Dilaudid as backup in the pca for a couple of days max. I agree that I don't want to be on either of them longer term... the toradol because of the risk of kidney damage (though it was the only thing that touched the pain for me after the hyst) and the dilaudid because I intensely dislike that feeling of not being able to stay alert long enough to finish a sentence!

The surgeon said the reason I will have the catheter is because they will not want me up and walking the first 2 days because of the size of the incision (to which I said, thanks a lot for scaring me to death here) ... I will be in bed with those leg massaging dealies and the breathing tube (spirometer?) instead. I didn't have either of those after the hyst so this will be a new and different experience.

I have also done something here that I never did with any previous surgery... I requested a private room. I hope it doesn't bankrupt me, but the thought of five days of not being able to sleep because of the roommate's constant visitors (I always seem to get the popular ones) just doesn't appeal to me. I am tired going into this, I can't imagine how I'll be if I can't even sleep in the castle. Plus given the nature of the surgery I think I am going to want my own bathroom once I am lucky enough to be up and trying to use it!

I'm trying to get all my support arrangements set up now.... and the latest wrinkle is that my ex has informed me that he has an out of town business trip planned for the week after my surgery and he would appreciate it if I could reschedule my surgery for two weeks later so he can watch the kids rather than letting me arrange for them to be with either my mom or dbf... yeah, like I'm going to reschedule my surgery for his convenience? I told him not to worry, the kids would be fine and well taken care of and he should just go ahead and go on his trip. I see a major battle looming here.

I'm running around now trying to get everything organized and take care of all the things I need to do before... went to the dentist yesterday, scheduled my annual with the gyn for next week, etc... it's like I have this compulsion to get my life in order so that I can settle down after the surgery for a couple of weeks of time without having to feel guilty. Anyone else have those feelings before the surgery? Since I had only a very short notice on the hyst I never had that time to wait and worry and plan, so this is a new experience. I kinda think I liked the short notice better!

I can't even begin to tell you all how much your support means to me. I don't think I could face this without you! DBF has been surprisingly supportive about it, but he's not around a lot and it's wonderful knowing I can come here and talk with my sisters any time. Thank you all!

-Linda
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:36 AM

Best of luck to you on your surgery. You are always such a support for me in the message boards. Try to stay focused on your one good thing, You should be able to eat things you love again.

As far as the ex, he has some nerve huh? Why do they always think your life should center around them for as long as you live? I agree with the "Yeah, right" answer. Tell him this is happening to you and it's not for his conveince. Either rearrange his plans to be there or don't worry about it. One thing for sure the kids will be OK either way. Don't even fight that battle. It'll just take energy from you that you need for yourself right now.

I came home from my LAVH/BSO with a lovely bag for 5 days. It was a pain but was good in that I didn't have to move around alot. The repairs they did on my bladder made it spasm out for a while, so I would have been back and forth to the bathroom. I didn't get any kind of leg strap for mine, only read about those afterwards, and think that would have helped the tube to not stretch so much. The "y" in the tubing started out about mid thigh but by the time I took it out it was hanging below my knees and I know that the catheter had shifted some because of the drag on the tubing. I started to have pressure symptons which I should not have had with the catheter in place. You also have to be careful that the tubing isn't kinked up and the urine can flow out, otherwise it just backs up.

I requested a private room for my hyster. and it only cost me $17.00 a day. It was well worth it as I'm a bad patient anyway and don't like to be around others when I'm not feeling well.

I did alot of "nesting" prior to my hyster. and most of it was pointless. I think the only thing it did was give me somewhere to focus all my nervous energy on. I feel like I had planned enough to be out of commission for a year. Had an overload on PJ's, all bought in larges too, that I'll be stuck with forever!! BTW, I couldn't wear pj pants or underwear while I had the catheter so short nightgowns, long T-shirts are the way to go!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register