Not feeling like much of a Princess now ... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not feeling like much of a Princess now ... Not feeling like much of a Princess now ...

Unread 02-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Not feeling like much of a Princess now ...

(((Linda)))

I have been thinking about you a LOT. So glad you posted an update on how your plans are progressing.

Yes, having the extra time to plan and prepare is sort of a mixed blessing. The waiting is hard, but it does give you the chance to put some things in order. Sort of reminds me of the brief period right before labor starts when you feel this burst of energy and start cleaning the house ... !

I think you are very smart to request a private room. I asked for one when I had my hyst ... and don't regret it for a moment. Actually, at the hospital where I had my hyst, the floor where they have the hyst patients is mostly private rooms so I might have gotten one anyway, even without asking. You deserve this ... the privacy will be such a blessing. I say, "good for you" for asking.

As for your ex-DH ... been there, done that. Stick to your plans and don't let him get to you. Sounds like he's just trying to divert attention to himself. You certainly don't need any added stress from him at this point.

Hang in there, Linda. We're here for you, sending gentle hugs your way.

Beth

p.s. - have you considered getting a surgery preparation CD with imagery that will help you relax and keep you in a good frame of mind for surgery? I did this the day before and morning of my hyst surgery and it helped a LOT. If you're interested, I'll try to get the name of the CD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Linda, good luck with this surgery, and I hope and pray that you
will receive relief from the pain. I bet you are looking forward
to eating those seeds and nuts again!!
I requested a private room for my hysterectomy, only to
awaken to a semi-private room. Again, I requested a private
room, and hours later, I was transfered. Whoever is with you during the surgery, please alert them to insist that you want a private room if one is available. My husband never said anything to them.
Unread 02-26-2003, 03:23 PM

Hey Linda......just wanted to send my 's and well wishes for your surgery and let you know that I booked a private room for my last procedure (laparotomy/adhesion removal) and it was wonderful to be able to cry if I wanted to....waddle off to the bathroom (once I could get up) without wondering if my butt was hanging out and sleep whenever I wanted because it was soooooo quiet..

....I also found that I got much better care from the nurses......I guess they have more time for you when you're the only one in the room......well worth it in my case and I would recommend it to anyone that was staying more then a night for sure!!!

we'll all be thinking of you and cheering you on!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Dilaudid

Hi Linda,

Just wanted to mention something about Dilaudid. I had never used it before my recent hernia repair. Perhaps you remember that I have huge negative reactions to morphine, demerol, codeine and fentanyl. The anesthesiologist this time suggested an epidural with Dilaudid in it for post-op pain and then using oral Dilaudid after. I can't tell you how happy I am with this. I have NEVER had such good pain control. Due to the fact that I caught this cold less than a week after surgery, I have stayed on the Dilaudid to help with suppressing the cough. It does not make me loopy, dizzy, or high. It is said to be more powerful than morphine. With an aggressive approach to preventing constipation things have gone well in that department as well. I did use a plain water enema once because I was starting to feel that my bowels weren't emptying. I have had NO problems since then but continue to use Colace, prune juice twice a day and lots and lots of water. Right now I have gone back to 1 mg of Dilaudid every two hours along with a cough suppressant and expectorant because I thought I was better enough that my cold was gone and tapered down on the drugs. The result was that I started coughing more and had a coughing fit when I laid down to take a rest.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that I am very pleased with the Dilaudid and have not had any problems with it. I have found that a relatively small dose every three hours covers the pain better than larger doses less frequently. The anesthesiologist said that for a person 'my age' (!!!) 2-4 mg every 4 hours is the norm but he's seen people take as much as 12 mg. I started with .5 mg in the hospital and built up. They were really good at letting me play around with it so I would have a good feel for what to do at home. I use acetaminophen plain along with it - anywhere from 400mg to 800mg (but usually 600mg) every four hours or so as needed. I was surprised to find that acetaminophen has anti-inflammatory properties. They used to tell us it didn't and I can't take any NSAIDS because of bowel disease.

I know how important it is to have a plan and I think you are wise to be thinking of this now. I also know it's important to be open and ready to change the plan if needed.

Good luck. I'm in your corner!

Joselle
Unread 02-26-2003, 06:43 PM

(((Linda)))

I'm sorry that you have to go through yet another surgery. You will most definitely be in my !!

I agree wholeheartedly with what Beth and Angie said about the ex! Don't waste your time on what he thinks!! Take care of YOU!!I have one of those too. Thinks the world revolves around him. He "couldn't" have the kids for an extra day when I had my hyst in Oct. Then had no problem asking me to keep DS (that lives with him) for the entire week last week because he had to accompany his gf to OK for a family emergency. Never will I turn my son away....regardless of the circumstances.

Take care of you sweetie. I'll be hoping everything goes perfectly.
Unread 02-27-2003, 12:12 AM

Oh, (((((((Linda))))))), where to begin?

Your ex-not-so-DH will definitely try to make it about him ...no question. If your DBF can take the kids for a week, you can work it out. Maybe this is time to mobilize the school network? I scored multiple sleepovers for my DD when I had my hyst (all really paybacks for when friends had babies). And we had some friends come over with food at critical junctures. Other than that, I actually thrived on being alone...all I wanted to do the first few days is sleep anyway, and if the kids are with friends, it's guilt-free on both sides.

You also know, and I will say this in public, I am only a couple of hours away by plane...and can plan, to some degree, with some advance notice. Even if it's just for a couple of days...think about it. I'll just use your AOL while you sleep .

As far as the private room, that's very wise of you. I got one for my hyst by virtue of my employment at that particular hospital and I was very grateful (though it meant that co-workers did drop by, some of whom I could have lived without). The luxury of your own bathroom, particularly following intestinal surgery (had that with the ectopic pregnancy) is worth bankruptcy!!

(((Beth))) is truly onto something with her suggestion of the visualization tapes. As blood pressure has been a problem for you, (and it's not like you're not under any stress , exactly ) it would be a good thing to begin NOW. Any stretching and exercise that you feel like doing (nothing major, but maybe a healing yoga class) would also help. This is truly a time to restore any meditation practice you've used in the past. The best thing about having some time to wait for your surgery is that it gives you a chance to try to maximize your health. Even three weeks can make a difference!

A major point that I want to bring up to you and any other s who may be lurking: this is cold and flu season. I think I remember that you said you had gotten a flu shot...I do hope so! I know you're careful, but with kids it's hard...if ever there was a time to be religious about your hand-washing, this is it. I know you don't want to get sick and possibly postpone, but I also know what stress and being sick already do to the immune system. Time to be vigilant!

I'm glad Joselle was along to help you with the Dilaudid issue. As you know, I'm the exact opposite...I turned off the Demerol at about 15 mg! (I was supposed to get 50 mg, but didn't really need or want any more). My pharmacy textbook says that oral Dilaudid isn't as effective (i.e. strong, in your case) as the IV. This sounds like oral Dilaudid for the post-op pain is a good idea...it will still be a "wean" of sorts, but since it works for you, you'll get good pain control.

You know we're here for you , and you're in our prayers. Just say the word, and I can make it more than cyber-hugs!

(((((Linda)))))

Audrey
Unread 02-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Ooops

I just noticed I made a mistake in my post. I'm taking 1 mg of Dilaudid every TWO hours insteand of 2 mg every four hours. It really works for me. The dosage can be played with (under supervision) to find what is right for you. I believe I was told that 1 mg is about the equivalent to a Tylenol 3. But that was told to me by a nurse that I'm not sure was totally well informed. They weren't all that familiar with Dilaudid on the floor.

It's just nice to know that we do have options. I was told by the anesthesiologist that there are other things to try as well. Two years ago (at a different hospital) they gave me Nubain and said there were no other choices.

I'm thinking of you!!

Joselle
Unread 02-27-2003, 08:05 AM

((((Linda)))), I'm sorry that I'm so late sending my hugs. I am soo sorry that you've been thruogh so much and have so much more to get through. I wish that I could hug you in person and do more to really help you. You are a very special person!
s S S
Unread 02-27-2003, 08:46 AM

Linda, I had six very long weeks to wait and worry about the
hysterectomy. Someone right here at hystersisters recommended
this wonderful visualization tape called Successful Surgery.
I listened to it often which truly did help me to relax and feel
much more positive about the surgery. It is from Health Journeys,
and if you go to their home page, you can read about research.
I believe Cleveland Clinic might have somehow been involved.
http://www.healthjourneys.com/catalo...ew=item&cid=29

Also, for blood pressure, I just ordered something I found on the internet. This is FDA cleared for over the counter sales called
Resperate. It is costly at $300. plus shipping, but it allegedly helps you to slow your breathing by using it 15 minutes a day. I sure am hoping this will help me!!
Again, good luck with the surgery!!!
Unread 02-27-2003, 09:02 AM

Linda,

I know none of us wanted hear the surgery word again, but I am so glad that you have found a DR you are confident in and who is proactive in your care dear.

I agree with the other ladies here concerning your EX. If your children were truly an issue to him than a business trip wouldn't be an issue would it? Sounds a little like a contol issue It certainly does take a lot of nerve to ask someone to put their health on hold for your own benefit though doesn't it. I wouldn't fret at all about this, it's not like us, mothers, don't know how to find competent help with our kids- give me a break!

I think the private room idea is really a great idea especially with intestinal surgery. I know when I had my 3 c-sections that the needed to come out and even though I wanted to be lady like that wasn't an option if you know what I mean. When I had my hyst the lady next to me was elderly and couldn't hear so you know I could let it rip oops!

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice on the pain meds and I definitely agree that morphine has a short life and then they don't want to give you another dose etc.

BTW: I didn't have much notice on my hyst but had a month to wait on my last surgery, I did the whole nesting scenario too. I think there are probably pros and cons to both sides but seems like we ladies like to have all our ducks in a row so the more time we have the more ducks we find!

BIG HUGS DEAR,
DLK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register