Is a hyst like a C-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is a hyst like a C-section? Is a hyst like a C-section?

Unread 02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Is a hyst like a C-section?

O.K. I was trying to think of something that might be similar to the pain of a hyst, then I thought of when I had a C-section almost 6 years ago. So, is it a good comparison or is a hyst more painful than that? :confuse: I will be having an LAVH/BSO, so the abdominal incision won't be as big, but I have never had a vaginal incision before. What do you ladies think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2003, 10:54 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on 1/28/03 and have had 2 C-sections. The pain that I had with the hyst was nothing compared to the sections. I had vertical incisions with the sections and a horizintal with thr hysterecromy. Also, was given Toridol for the pain of bladder spasms and in my opinion it is a miracle drug! Good luck and you'll soon find out that the waiting is the hardest part!

Lisa
Unread 02-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Mine not as bad...

I had a C-section 7 yrs prior to my TAH/BSO, and it was not as bad. Actually, they were equal, I think. By not as bad I mean neither one was overwhelming. Maybe I was luckier than others, but I recovered from both fairly easily and quickly.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2003, 02:11 AM

Thanks meanie for asking the same question I keep forgetting to post (how could I forget that one???).

I too had two c-sections, one two years ago and one seven years ago. I am hoping the pain is similiar, if so, I can tolerate it.

Guess I'll find out for sure on March 4th

Take care and thanks again!
Unread 02-23-2003, 06:19 AM
Hate to burst your bubble..

but yes it can be the same but I have also seen posts from ladies who thought the hyst was worse. As you will see from reading moe posts, we are all so very different in how we respond to these surgeries. What you have to remember is that there is a LOT more internal work done with a hysterectomyand that makes what we need to watch in our recovery a lot more important you have a lot more restrictions and really need to follow them. A c section is actually pretty superficial compared to a hyst. Your pregnant uterus is very close to the surface whereas when they do the hyst they are going much deeper, move the bladder and the bowel out of the way and then reattach ligaments etc. Lots of women though do very well and I think forewarned is forearmed. Anything that is better than what you think might be the worst is always a gift.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get the Journey thru the Land of Hyster book and go to the hints and articles for preop that is on the home page. Cindy's advice is a really good overview of what to expect preop and post op. I think this will give you a much more realistic view of what to expect. I think for all of us the fear of the unknown was the worst part.

Good luck!
Unread 02-23-2003, 07:17 AM

I have never had a C section but had to have a laparotomy for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy some years ago. I woke up from that feeling like my abdomen was on fire. The hysterectomy was a breeze in comparison. At worst it felt like a heavy period but even that was quite brief. The incision (I had TAH) was a little tender but not painful. What really got to me were the pains from gas about 40 hrs later - far worse than any surgery pain. If I'd only had the surgery pain to deal with I would have been smiling.

StampinCat is right - all the internal stitching is very involved, far more so than a C section ( hundreds of stitches) so be very vigilant post op with taking care of yourself. Those restrictions are there for a reason. Recovery from vaginal hyst is usually quicker but that doesn't give you licence to overdo it! It's still major surgery so please take care.

Hope this helps. Everyone is different of course. Good luck with everything, I am sure it will go well for you.
Unread 02-23-2003, 07:58 AM

Someone else said it before I did, it's an individual thing. I had an Emergency C-section 8 years ago, had a TAH/BSO on Jan 20th 2003, the hyst was MUCH harder to get through. That is still relative though because I was up and walking within about 4 hours of having my son after the c-sec and was up and walking about 9 hours after my hyst. I clearly remember that the c-sec hurt post op for about the same amount of time (3-4 weeks) before I felt somewhat normal again.

I think there is confusion with the body because after pregnancy you tend to bounce back as a maternal instinct, with a hyst it's major surgery and your mentally prepared for ONLY major surgery, not caring for a baby later. Another factor is age, a lot of women undergoing a hyst are much older than the childbearing years, yes there are exceptions like myself (I'm 27).

Don't compare it to the C-sec's they really aren't the "same", similar but not the same, and care for your body, follow your doctor's advice and listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to stop/go or use caution.

God bless and lots of ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))
Unread 02-23-2003, 10:35 AM
C-sect vs Hysterectomy

This is a very individual thing because a hysterectomy can be simple or complicated. Certainly, there is much more internal damage with a hys. A c-section goes through the abdominal muscle walls and cuts into the uterus. But all the blood vesses and ligaments holding the uterus in place are not cut. On the other hand, the uterus tends to be very sore (like any muscle worked half to death) after labor, and many women with emergency C-sections have labored for a while. so it is very possible that the hys will be much easier than the C-section was.

I teach a course to OR nurses and one of my students had a vaginal hys and never had one minute's worth of pain. She wanted to go home almost as soon as she woke up from surgery.

I had to have an abdominal hys because I had adeno and fibroids so bad that my uterus was as big as a 3-month pregnancy. And thank God we didn't try a vag hys because he found a LOT of adhesions in there. I'm 2 and 1/2 months post op and my bladder still hurts if I let it get too full. This is normal because the bladder is a muscle and it and the uterus were totally fused together. Poor doc had to dissect them apart, and after all that, he found that both were adhered to the right abdominal wall and to the peritoneum. So my pathology meant he had to operate on bladder and bowel as well as get that huge uterus out. Poor guy found himself in lots more stuff than he had expected. Fortunately, he was an excellent surgeon and I'm so much better now physically than I would have expected to be at this point with all that pathology.

So of course my discomfort and healing are taking longer for my hysterectomy than it did for the C-section.
Love and hugs to you! I'm so glad to be rid of that uterus and hope life gets much better for you too!
Unread 02-23-2003, 11:02 AM

O.K. you and es have given me lots of good advice! Thank you for your details. It has helped me realize that I pretty much am gonna have to wait until after the hyst to see what's gonna be the case with me.

I am on the positive side though, because 20 minutes after I awoke from having my laparoscopy I was getting up and going to the bathroom and putting on my clothes to go home! So, I hope this will be a little like that experience anyway. I know I'm gonna have to stay one night in the hospital. I hope I am rarin' to go when it is time. I will take it easy-I have no problem with laying on my butt, it's my favorite past-time!
Unread 02-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Like a c-section?

Hi - I had a section 17 yrs ago, and though the post-op experience is very similar - I have noticed some differences. The uterus is contracting back into shape, specially with breastfeeding, and I think that can contribute to discomfort. Also, I remember much more shooting pains if I moved the wrong way, or laughed. Now, it seems everything is dulled. I have pain, but not that scary shooting pain. It is kind of achey. And that's much nicer. So, for me, the TAH was a bit better than the section. (I think so anyways ... 17 years is a long time ago, and my memory is notoriously suspect.)

The other sisters said it well; each experience is very different, because each surgery and body is different.

Good luck. Linda.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register