sore scar after nearly 10 months | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sore scar after nearly 10 months sore scar after nearly 10 months

Unread 02-24-2003, 07:49 AM
sore scar after nearly 10 months

Hi everyone,
Has anyone else experienced this. I'm in great form otherwise, everything in my new life is fantastic, but recently my scar has been very sensitive and sore. Haven't been doing anything different, so I don't know what could be causing it.
Your help, as always, would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 07:59 AM

(((Jos))),
I'm glad most things have improved I had a bikini incision w/ my hyst & it took about 18 months for it to feel better There are some nerves that are cut during surgery & for most there is a numb feeling for a long time. The nerves will start to *awaken* so to speak & can cause sensitivity/discomfort. Do you have a year post-op check-up scheduled?Or better yet, give your Dr a call & describe what you are feeling...he can provide some better insight for you
Good Luck Jos pls keep us posted on how your doing...((hugs))
Unread 02-26-2003, 02:26 PM
sore scar

Hi Sheri,
Thanks for your reply. The nerves "coming alive" does make sense. The scar feels tight like it did in the early post op days, long long ago.
I don't have a dr appointment and guess what, it would take 3 months to get to see him!! Busy man or what.
I've taken it easy over the last few days and the pain has eased a bit. I think I'll hold on for a week or so and see what happens. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2003, 04:36 AM
Re: sore scar

I heard about this six months ago when I had my surgery, then forgot it until the past couple of weeks, when my abdominal bikini-line scar has been itching like crazy!!

I sure hope it's the nerves coming alive again, even though there's still an area above the scar that's still numb to the touch.

I will be phoning doctor tomorrow to see if it's OK to apply something like Cort-Aid (hydrocortisone cream) to stop the itching.

Anyone else experiencing similar things?

-- Pat
Unread 03-11-2003, 07:12 AM

hi there,

I too am about 10 months post-op. I still have discomfort from my incision from time to time. Most of the time, it's like a hard, thin wire with some spots that have softened up or shrunk. Sometimes, when I wear tighter-fitting clothes or get in certain positions, it gets red and a little sore. At least it's no longer number.

Frankly, I just assumed this was normal, and I've been ignoring it....
Unread 04-06-2003, 05:33 PM

Same here. I am at 7 months and my scar itches every day, particularly at the end of the day. I guess that's part of the healing process. Never thought it would take this long.

Debra
Unread 04-07-2003, 09:48 PM

The scar from my bikini incision hurt--sometimes terribly--for a year after surgery, right up to the time I had the first of two surgery for the large bi-lateral incisional hernias. My scar was still red and swollen up to the time of hernia repair. 6 wks after the 1st hernia repair surgery, my scar looked better than it ever did in the year after TAH/BSO. Especially if you have tearing pains in the area of your incision, make sure your doctor gives you a proper exam for a possible incisional hernia. General surgeons make you stand up for part of the exam. You might suggest that to your doc if he does your entire exam with you spread-eagled in stirrups.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register