Catheter?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Catheter??

I know this is weird, but I always find myself worrying about little things instea of the big ones.

Anyway, I may or may not be having a hysterectomy - right now I'm researching and trying to talk myself into it (it's my only option)

Will someone please tell me about the catheter. Is it awful? Can you feel it? Is it terrible when they put it in or take it out? I realize it's just all part of it, but like I said, it's the little things.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Catheter??

I could not feel the catheter, which I had in for perhaps 24 hours. Didn't feel much at all when they took it out- I barely noticed. It was put in during surgery, so I didn't feel it. I have had catheters put it while fully awake , and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. (the reason I had catheters put in while awake was I had to go to the ER a couple of times as the large fibroids would block my urinary system- one reason I chose to have the hysterectomy!)

I would not worry about it at all. Good luck!
Unread 02-24-2003, 09:42 AM
It's a non issue

Hi

I had my catheter in for several days because my surgery was a little complicated. It was totally a non-issue. I walked with it, slept with it, hardly noticed it and when it was taken out I don't remember feeling anything.

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Catheter??

psumary,
When I awoke from the surgery, the catheter had been inserted...so there was no pain at all either from insertion or from having it in.
The catheter was taken out the next day. However, I was having trouble urinating so they re-inserted a catheter so they could measure my output better. Even wide awake while they inserted it, there was not even the slightest hint of pain....
I understand about it being the little things...I'm the same way!!

HollyG
Unread 02-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Catheter??

I was nervous about the cathater also having never had one before. Mine was put in when I was knocked out before surgery. I even asked them when they were going to put it in and was relieved when they said I'd be unconcious for it. I never felt it at all. Sometimes, I would notice a feeling down there like I needed to go and I just made sure I was as relaxed as possible so everything worked correctly. A little sensation when it came out, but not pain. Good luck.
Unread 02-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Catheter??

My catheter was put in during my prep for the surgery while I was still awake. I had not even realized I would have it, my surgery was an ASAP situation and I was so busy dealing with getting things in order I was not able to become as informed as I normally do about things. We were so worried about what my prognosis would be, I did not give the procedure a second thought. I was stunned, really when the nurses told me that I would get a catherer, (pretty dumb huh?). However, it was painless. I felt a slight touch, not even pressure really. Pre surgery I was aware it was there, as my pastor came into to pray with me and my family before I went into surgery. My 14 year DD asked what it was while Pastor and 17 year old DS were in the room. So, if offspring are going to be visiting you, you might want to explain it ahead of time, as well as the IV. Taking it out was not an issue either. The nurse told me it was time to remove it and when she did, I just felt it slip out.

I do not think there is a "little thing". What bothers you bothers you and that makes it valid. I hope you are able to put your concerns to rest and move forward...since you say being punctured is your only option. Good luck.
Unread 02-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Catheter??

I HAD TVT DONE 11-15-02 WITH A FEW COMPLICATIONS AND SELF CATH AT TIMES HAD TAH/BSO 2-21 AND AM SELF CATHING BECAUSE OF SWELLING I AM UNABLE TO RELIEVE MYSELF . THE CATHETER IS A BREEZE NO PAIN TO IS! JUST A LITTLE PUSH FEELING.
Unread 02-28-2003, 02:42 AM
catheter

Had surgery on February 17th. In spite of being in lots of pain from other stuff, I was still able to worry about the pain of taking the thing out. Because I had a fever, catheter was in for almost 3 days. Didn't feel any pain when they took it out. Worried for nothing!!

Esther.
Unread 02-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Oh my, a male nurse!

Of course I started my period the day before my surgery. I was bleeding so bad I knew that mother nature was going to make sure she went out with a bang. I was laying in bed the night before worrying about (of all things) getting a male nurse and me being a mess when he inserted my catheter. I went off to the hospital bright and early in the morning and low and behold I met John, my nurse. My nightmare had come true! The good news is they did not insert my catherter until after I was asleep. I had to keep it in an extra day because of complications. It did not bother me at all. Removing the catherter was the last step before I could go home from the castle so when they took it out I was relieved.

PS - I had a lot of fun with John!
Unread 02-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Catheter??

I too was all worked up about the catheter prior to my surgery. I am happy to say that it's put in while you're "out". I had it in for about 24 hours or so. You really don't notice it. Only if the bag fills up and needs to be emptied, then you fell a little pressure. NO PAIN! When they remove it, it is so quick and you don't feel a thing! So, try not to worry and GOOD LUCK!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register