Hestitant to have IVP test ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hestitant to have IVP test  ??? Hestitant to have IVP test ???

Unread 02-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Hestitant to have IVP test ???

Hi there,
I am interested in hearing from people who have had the IVP test. Reading about potential side effects, is this worth the risks? How would I know if I were allergic to iodine? What does having this done feel like? What about the possibility of kidney damage? ???? My doctor and the urologist are fairly sure I don't have a fistula, but they want to make absolutely sure. Is this test worth the risks? Thoughts..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2003, 04:44 PM

Francgal,

Hi! I had a fistula, and I'm 6 weeks post op from my repair surgery and doing great!

I had an IVP to help them locate the fistula. I don't know anything about the side effects of the IVP except that you can't have one if you have an iodine allergy.

The actual test wasn't too bad for me-the prep the day before I could've done without, but it was no worse than a GI prep. I got a little sick to my stomach when they first started the IV-actually had dry heaves which wasn't fun! I just had a warm feeling as the dye was going in. My arm was sore for a couple of weeks after-but didn't hurt really.

I'm not much help but maybe someone else will have more info for you. Good luck and I will pray you don't have a fistula!

Louise
Unread 02-24-2003, 07:48 PM

Your questions are ones you need to discuss with your doctor, for sure. I was wondering if you wouldn't know about an Iodine allergy because salt has Iodine in it and shellfish have Iodine in them, don't they? In the unlikely event that you were allergic to the dye you would be treated immediately. Presumably you would have this test done in a hospital or clinic that is prepared for such eventualities. The last time a doctor ordered an IVP for me they were able to an ultrasound instead. But it depends on what they're looking for as to whether or not this would be a good alternative.

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 08:15 AM

((Francgal)),
I have never had this test done but did want to share some links with some info on it that might be of some help exp when discussing this w/your Dr:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/ivp_radiology.htm

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/pdf/ivp0502.pdf

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/di.../IVP/IVP.shtml

http://www.hisandherhealth.com/glossary/ivp.html

What is an intravenous pyelogram (IVP)?
http://www.methodisthealth.com/radiology/ivp.htm

Information for Patients having an Intravenous Pyelogram:
http://www.rcr.ac.uk/upload/leafletivp3.doc

Good Luck with your test Please let us know how it goes
(((hugs)))
Unread 02-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Hi Francgal

I totally agree with Louise- I had an IVP last week and it really wasn't that bad- Louise said her arm hurt- and mine didn't hurt at all, just felt weird when the dye went in.. I guess you just have to worry if you are allergic to the iodine..

Having the test will give the DR's a better look inside and you can get a better diagnosis..please keep us posted as to the results and I will be thinking of you!!

Karen
Unread 02-25-2003, 09:40 AM

dear francgal,

the gyn I was seeing for many years wanted me to have this IVP test, but I freaked out about it because I have a very serious allergy, probably to fish, and have been told to avoid iodine. This gyn mentioned that there are other agents they can use, but she didn't push it with me and instead, I had another kind of test (I think just a regular kidney ultrasound).

Anyway, I would suggest you discuss your fears with your doc and possibly also consult an allergist if you suspect you do have an allergy to iodine/shellfish.

best wishes!
Unread 02-25-2003, 01:25 PM

There is a contrast agent that they can use that is iodine-free if it is necessary. They can also pre-medicate you with some IV Benadryl (an antihistamine) if you have an allergy history. Just make sure that someone is there to drive you home if they use Benadryl, though, as it will make you sleepy!

The IVP can give them information that sometimes cannot be gotten in any other way -- if a fistula is suspected in the ureter, for example, an ultrasound will not be able to yield that information.

If you are concerned about allergy (for example, you have a shellfish allergy, or topical iodine allergy) ask them for the iodine-free stuff -- it does cost extra so they don't use it routinely, but it is available. Do make sure, if you are allergic, that you tell virtually everyone you meet about your allergy!

Also, if you don't have a seafood allergy, I would still avoid seafood for the first few days afterward. I don't have a seafood allergy but do have a reaction to topical iodine (like Betadine). Right after my CT with contrast, I had some shellfish, and developed a systemic reaction that lasted for a few days and delayed my surgery. Although I still am not allergic to shellfish specifically, the doctors thought that what happened in eating the shellfish was that my system got overloaded with iodine (which takes some days to metabolize, depending upon how efficient your kidneys are) and caused the reaction.

Good luck, and I'll for good results -- or at least an answer to what has been plaguing you!

Audrey
Unread 02-25-2003, 05:24 PM
IVP

Hi Francgal,
I was advised to have an IVP by one Gyn. but declined. This was my second opinion dr., not the one I wanted to stay with. Then after my TAH/BSO my Dr. ordered one. I did ask for an explanation, and they had to wait for the Dr. to call. The request for the test caught me completely off guard. He wanted to be sure nothing was damaged from the TAH. Because they had to go search so deep to get all the masses and adhesions out. But all was A-OK.
I really didn't have any problem. And I was plenty apprehensive. I already had an IV so the dyes just went in there. I was very pleasantly surprised I had very little reaction to the dyes. No nausa, just a little warmth, but I have had killer hot flashes and this was nothing.
After it was done, I wondered why I was so aprehensive of it.
Best wishes.
Unread 02-25-2003, 09:16 PM

I've had this test many many times, from about the age of 2 'til now. I even had one the day they did my hyst. The urologist had put lighted stents in my ureters so that the GYN would be able to see where they were and he also ran a dye through afterward and found the right side completly blocked, The hyst didn't hurt compared to my right side when I woke up.

Other than the prep, the IV stick (needles are not my friends ) it's not bad, You lay on a table, they run the dye through the IV, you feel the warmth spread,and sometimes get a metallic taste in the back of your throat, They take some pictures, check to make sure they can see what they need to see, take some more pictures, remove the IV, you go to the bathroom, get dressed and leave.

I guess to clarify, I'd rather have an IVP than a CT scan, cause at least you don't have to drink that gunk.

This test, along with a voiding cystourethrogram (what a mouthful that is ) and occasionally a nuclear tomography test (which is really cool to watch by the way) are an almost annual occurance for me. I was born with the ureters implanted wrong, had 4 surgeries to correct, ages 3-4-7 and 15. I still have a reflux on the left side, and hydronephrosis on the right and my kidneys work at about 50% each. Urologists are a common part of my life

I can understand that you are hesitant, but if the test with help with a diagnosis, isn't it worth it?

Hope the description of what happens helps.
Unread 02-26-2003, 07:25 AM

Thank you all for your shared experiences I really appreciate your words of advice and your kindness. I phoned the hospital as well where a nurse was kind enough to speak to me about the test too and she had one done herself and was able to give me a firsthand account too. Thanks again for your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register