Pain Medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Medication Pain Medication

Unread 02-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Pain Medication

Can you tell me what kind of Meds I can be expecting after coming home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 02:08 AM
Pain Meds

Hi, I came home with Dilaudid (12) and was told to take 800 mg of Motrin no more than 3 times/day. I only used the Dilaudid at night after the first day or two and when I ran out of that I was given Tylenol with codeine which I only took a couple of nights. At night I had trouble getting comfortable for the first couple of weeks. So, I mainly used Motrin and stopped using that around 2 1/2 weeks... I still occasionally take Motrin if I get sore from doing too much... (I am 5 weeks post op now)
Unread 02-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Pain Medication

I had TVH-BSO and I was sent home on the 4th day with Toridol and a sleeping pill for the next 10 days. After that just Tylenol. I was so scared I was going to still be in pain when the pain meds ran out, but Dr. was right and the Tylenol was all I needed. I am still having a litle trouble staying asleep through the night but I am sure that will wear off too. Good luch and many prayers, Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 04:07 AM
Pain Medication

When is your surgery and what type?

To be honest it has more to do with what your doctor likes to order routinely than anything else (except if you already have known allergies). There are different things you may get, Percocet ( or Tylox) which is oxycodone with tylenol, Vicodin which is hydrocodone with tylenol. Vicodin has extra strength tylenol in it and since they have finally decided on what a toxic dose of tylenol is you are limited to two every six hours (or no more than 4000 mg of tylenol in 24 hours after that it is toxic to the liver and can cause damage). You can take the percocet every 3-4 hours. Diluadid is considered stronger (and there are no automatic refills). You can also get Morphine in pill form but the percocet and the vicodin are the most common pain meds patients are sent home with and sometimes along with motrin. Darvocet is also a milder pain pill.

Some doctors give you a good supply and refills, and others are jerks and only send enough home for 48 hours (these are the exception not the rule thank goodness). Some patients need to take narcotic pain pills for only a couple of days and others take them for 2-3 weeks, gradually decreasing the use and going to mostly just the motrin. Everyone's chemistry is different and after 24 years in nursing find that one person may have great relief with percocet but not vicodin and the person in the next bed is the opposite.

Make sure before you come home that what you are taking works effectively for your pain. If you still don't get at least the edge taken off the pain (sorry ladies, if you want no pain at all you will need to go back under anesthesia), let your nurse know. Many times the doctor has ordered several types and she can switch you over next time around or she can call the doctor. Dojn't hesitate, the nurses are (they should be at least) to help you work this out. Just be sure you let them know you don't think it is working well enough and ask if there is something else you can try. The extreme cases sometimes need a pain consult from the pain clinic (it is our anesthesiologists who are specially trained in this at our hospital) to find the right mixture, but that is not usual for the normal patient. Toradol , which is motrin related in an IV form given every 6 hours is great, it is an anti-inflammatory and acts on your pain a different way than the narcotics do and are safe to take together. Once you can eat they will usually switch you to motrin. Not all doctors do this but a lot do I know that is what made all the difference in my pain control.

Hope this helps. Remember, it is your body and ask any questions you think of to your nurses.
Unread 02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Pain Medication

Hello Gertiiee. I had my tah on Feb 19. The Dr. prescribed 2 VIOXX 50 mg to be taken the night before and the morning before surgery. He has found this seems to help his patients to require less pain relief after the operation. This really worked for me .I had minimal pain in the hospital that was easily controlled by the pca pump and the vicoprofen given orally after the pump was removed. I was given VIOXX 50 mg to take daily for 5 days upon leaving the hospital (48hr stay) and more 24 Vicoprofen to take as needed. I am usually taking 2-3 per day. I this relieves my aches totally. Ask your doc about the vioxx = preop.

good luck sportsfan

vic
Unread 02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Pain Medication

hi,

I too had Vioxx in the hospital plus morphine pump for the first night (and Zofran for nausea--it's great!). I went home with a 30-day supply of Percocet, but never needed to use it. I had very little pain for some reason...
Unread 02-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Pain Medication

My doctor sent me home with a prescription for Vicadin, but I found that it bothered me more than the actual pain! I gave him a call and he suggested I try Ibuprofen. It seemed to be all I needed.

HollyG

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register