frozen section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

frozen section? frozen section?

Unread 02-25-2003, 05:57 AM
frozen section?

Hi
I read the posts avidly...reply ocassionally, as I don't feel my two cents is worth anything in relation to all of the experience on this board...I was wondering what a 'frozen section' is...I realize it's a biopsy of sorts, but not sure what it entails or why it's done...can anyone tell me about this? I am having my left ovary and tube removed and a D & C (to biopsy my uterine lining) sometime the week of 3/10 - of course I still don't have a specific date- and my son's 8th bday is the 10th...hopefully it won't be that date...
anyway, thanks...
Ericka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 06:05 AM
frozen section?

Welcome Erika!

The great thing about hystersisters is that everyone's are valued!

A frozen section is the examination of tissue done by the pathologist during surgery. The results are usually considered preliminary and can be used to guide the surgeon.

Dorrie
Unread 02-25-2003, 06:41 AM
frozen section?

Thanks...so, it wouldn't necessarily benefit me to request that be done...or is it automatically done? My gyn is going to do the lap...and if it turns out to be ov ca the gyn. onc. is going to take over...right now they're saying perhaps it's endo...I'm not convinced at this point...I've never had any problems in the past...my tummy is getting bigger...weird sensation in my abdomen...it's not a sharp pain, but it's more of a dull achy feeling...I almost feel like I did at the end of my preg...my dh asks me to describe it to him, and that's the best I can do...when I ovulated the other day I had cramps that lasted for three days and dh thought he was going to need to take me to the ER (I don't know how endo reacts to ovulation)...I've always had the 'mittleschmerz' , but that would last an hour and be barely noticeable...anyway, I'm rambling...I do that quite a bit these days...:-)
Thanks again...
Ericka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2003, 08:15 AM
frozen section?

Got my date for my oopherectomy and D &C and possible laparectomy...and, of course, it is on my ds's 8th birthday...ugghhh...of all days...I was in a car accident on my youngest's bday (friday the 13th) and spent the day at the hosp...and now I"ll be spending the day at the hosp. on my other ds's bday...my dd has a bday in april, keeping my fingers crossed...:-) they happened to be the hospitals that they were born in (two different hospitals); I just say that I am celebrating by going back to where it all began! :-)
Ericka
Unread 02-25-2003, 10:19 AM
frozen section?

I think frozen sections are pretty routine if there is any chance that there is cancer. I'm so very glad you have having a gyn-onc participate in the surgery - that is extremely important. You should ask your doc though - you won't to be worrying about "when" you'll know.

We all got pretty nervous before the big day - you've feelings are perfectly normal.

Wishing you a clean path report ---

Dorrie
Unread 02-26-2003, 06:27 AM
frozen sections

I agree they are just preliminary. Im a cancer survivor, and now my mom is going through this. She had her surgery last week, had 2 tumors removed (on ovary) and ovaries. The froz. section said they were malignent. Of course we were very relieved. We got a call yesterday, the lab work is back. She does have cancer. What a blow. We weren't prepared for that at all. We thought we were in the clear.

Chemo starts Monday.

Hang in there ladies, my prayers are with you.

Tammie
Unread 02-26-2003, 07:19 AM
frozen section?

Here's another question...might seem ridiculous, but again, just trying to get the facts straight...I have a septated cyst...I know there are 'functional cysts' that are common and usually harmless and then there are 'complex cysts' which usually require close monitering and there are cysts that need immediate attention...I have been told I have the latter...what is the difference between a 'cyst' and a 'tumor' or are they the same, just different names...I hear 'tumor' and I think 'cancer', I hear 'cyst' and I think 'no big deal'...anyone know the difference?
ericka
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:15 AM
frozen section?

HI Erika!

Septated means that the cyst has walls in it. Cysts are fluid filled, tumors are solid. Either can be benign (no cancer) or cancerous. Doctors tend to want to watch ovarian cysts with solid features (walls) more closely.

Most ovarian cysts in young women are functional and completely benign. It is great that your doctor is being so careful.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register