Last Dr. appt at 3 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last Dr. appt at 3 weeks? Last Dr. appt at 3 weeks?

Unread 02-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Last Dr. appt at 3 weeks?

I just came home from my 3 week post-op appt. and I'm totally dissapointed and confused. My Dr. checked me and said I was healing nicely and I asked him some questions( gas pains, pain when urinating still,can I drive now,etc.) and then asked when I had to come back in and he said I didn't. I totally planned on having to come back and now I'm thinking of questions I wish I asked if I knew that. I'm not sure when I can go back to work, he said 6-8 weeks before my surgery, when I can start doing more stuff around the house and not sure what else. I'm just very confused. He just said I could start driving, to walk for 15 minutes a couple times a week, and gave me a prescription for different pain meds because I'm still having some pain but that was about it. Thank god I have this web site so there are many things I already know but I wish more came from my Dr., I feel like I should just get on with my normal stuff (that's almost the way he made me feel although he did't say that) but know this is not true. I'm still to sore and tired to start doing stuff and know it would'nt be good, I have been a very good princess and followed the rules this far and want to continue. My husband was at the appt. with me and I don't want him thinking I can go back to normal now. He didn't act like that at all but I wonder.I just wonder if anybody else had only one appt. and so early in their recovery. Also I'm going to call the nurse this afternoon and ask some questions and if there is anything anybody would suggest I ask. Thank you all so much for always being here you are all a god send.

Thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 09:50 AM

I had a 2 week, 3 week, and a 6 week DR visit for my TAH. At two weeks, I asked the DR what I could be doing. She said laundry was ok just no heavy lifting (more than a gallon of milk) and loading/ unloading dishwasher was ok, also light cooking. She emphasized no lifting and to listen to my body. At 3 weeks, she told me to gradually start doing more and more. She actually wanted me to be doing things not resting completely for 6 weeks. I had no pain though. If I had, then I would have had to listen to my body and rest more. Listen to your body would be my advice and call your and get answers to your questions.
Good luck.
Unread 02-26-2003, 10:00 AM

I just went in for my 3 week check up and I don't have to go in for another 3 months. She told me to wait probablyl another 3 weeks to work but that I should try to be as active as my body will allow. She said that the more active women tend to be, the quicker we heal. I also happen to have healed very well so I may be a bit ahead of the game - but still - she said resting is good but not all the time. So I took a big walk around my neighborhood yesterday (about 1/2 mile) - it took an hour !! but I was in no hurry. I'm sure your doctor will be happy to answer any questions you have - but I wouldn't worry about him not needing to see you if there are no problems. We are still here for you as long as you need the extra support!! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 10:50 AM

I'm now almost 4 weeks post op, but when I went to see my doc at 2 weeks post op, I was a little disappointed too. She said everything was healing well and that I should begin to increase my activity level. When I tried to probe to get her to be more specific, she stayed very vague. Pre op she had said I could probably begin light working out (no abs) at 3 to 4 weeks. Seemed soon to me! But I have to say, that at almost 4 weeks, I feel pretty good, am walking almost a mile a couple times a day, have almost no pain when I move around and just a little swelling and aching at the end of the day. The tiredness really gets me though! And I'm still taking alot of naps. I got the feeling that this was so routine for her that she was unconcerned about things that, being new to me, were really of intense interest to me. I have another appointment to see her at the 6 week mark, because we need to do some followup on the HRT and some of the pathology reports, so I am saving up questions till then.

Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.
Unread 02-26-2003, 11:14 AM

Hi Chris,

Sounds like the typical "every is different story! I too though went in at 3 weeks (one week earlier than scheduled) because I was having some heavy spotting and got spooked and he told me that my tissue was healing faster than the stitches were dissolving (what they heck!) and gave me a shot uch: to speed up the process. Then told me to call if there were any problems and "see ya" until May. Oh, and he released me to full activity and I have been rolling on since. I am assuming that the docs all have different opinions because we are all different and they know what works best for us. Who knows! Just try not to worry and when in doubt call, call, call.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 02-26-2003, 11:22 AM

I had my 3 week appointment today. Same thing, he told me to come back in 3 months. I am going back to work on Friday because of a "situation" there that I have to be part of. The Doc said it was okay as long as I took it easy and to just come in if I had problems and he would put me back on Convalescent leave.
Unread 02-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Wow!

Doctors sure are different! I had a 10 day appointment, a 4 week appointment and will have one more at a month from now. He did limit me to 4 hours a day at work for a month though. He said I could resume having sex, just no heavy lifting.
BJ
Unread 02-26-2003, 12:05 PM
3 weeks

My Dr. cleared me for everything at my 3 week check too...he said with the technology today (so advanced) it's really hard to do damage (NO LIFTING THOUGH)...also, you will heal better and faster with the more activity you're involved in..so back at work and back to a normal life...still bleeding lightly and still sore but I'm ignoring it! I say... do what you can and the rest will come in time!

Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register