Brand-new Ovarian cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brand-new Ovarian cyst Brand-new Ovarian cyst

Unread 02-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Brand-new Ovarian cyst

Hi All!

Very disappointing week.

I had been going along, healing nicely. However, at a certain point, the pain/discomfort was not getting better, and I never got to the point of being pain-free. So I went back to the Dr, who sent me for an ultrasound.

A 4cm cyst has formed on my right ovary and we are going to do the watchful waiting thing for the next 6 weeks or so.

On the one hand, I am glad the pain is not "all in my head."

On the other hand, after going through the hysterectomy, I think I deserve a break from the pain.

Crap!

Mensalina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Brand-new Ovarian cyst

Heaps of sympathy to you!
I am somewhat in the same position. Almost a year since a TAH leaving one ovary. Went to the doc in Nov because of pain - he thinks the endo has returned, lo and behold he did an US and found a cyst. Waited until Jan, still there, now waiting until April 2 and if it's still there he advises removal.

The waiting is really annoying isn't it? I was really hoping not to have to call upon hystersisters for support again but I'm so grateful that we have this site and the sisters.

Please let me know how you get on. What has your doc said about removal? Mine told me that he would have to do a laparotomy rather than a laparoscopy because of the scar tissue from previous endo/surgery.

Take care,
Diana
Unread 03-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Brand-new Ovarian cyst

Hi I have cyst on my ovaries every month and the doc says it is okay, (well they sure dont know how they hurt when they explode) They took half of my rt ovary with the tah but kept left intact. The rt one gets cysts every month just like clockwork. I think I would like to request to my doc to take both of them out. But I know what thier answer is, so no go on that. Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the replies

Angie - Yes, every woman gets "cysts" every month that an egg is produced - they are functional cysts. Really no cause for alarm, and they are generally small (2cm or less than 1 inch). Most of these cysts will be reabsorbed in about a cycle or two.

My is a bit more worrysome, as it is 4cm, on an ovary that is about 5cm (ovaries are supposed to be about 3cm generally). There is hope that it will be reabsorbed in a cycle or two as well, but, if not......

Diana - my doctor said something about a vaginal asperation.(Yikes, do I have to be in the room when they do that???????)

It is just wait and see for now.
Unread 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Brand-new Ovarian cyst

Hi Mesalina,

I just wanted to let you know that I am so sorry you are still having problems. I know exactly what you are going through though. I have my hyst (they took it ALL) almost 2 years ago. All of these replies made me pull my surgery report and pathology report out from my medical records just out of curiosity. My gyn wanted to leave one ovary so I was not put into surgical menopause at the age of 31, but I INSISTED he take them both. I had PCOS and I knew it was not going to get better if they left one in. Plus after my lap he did before my hyst, he found that one ovary was 5cm with a 6cm cyst on it (I could have had an extra ovary with a cyst that size), and the other was 7 cm, full of cysts and ready to rupture.. BUT yet he STILL wanted to leave one.
I wonder which one he would have left!!!

I do not understand these doctors that want to leave ovaries in that are full of cycts just to keep you from going into menopause. Sure that is YOUR choice if you want to keep and ovary for that reason, but if it is causing pain, I say TAKE IT OUT!!! For me, I am very happy to take a pill every day (HRT) instead of having chronic pain like I did form the cysts. I have so many other problems right now that I think I would pull my :hair:
out right now if I still had ovarian pain..

I really feel for you, it makes me have flashbacks to hear about ovary pain. I hope they take care of your pain and dont just sit and wait too long and let it get bigger, hopefully it will shrink but MAKE sure they keep a VERY watchful eye on it..

Let us know how it goes and we are all here for you!!!

Pam
Unread 03-01-2003, 04:17 PM
I'm in the same boat...still

Mt hyst was a year ago on the 26th, then had my third surgery(in 5 mos) in May to remove my left ovary due to massive adhesions that had already formed and destroyed my left ovary..so out that came. Well, my right one is rebelling every month with a 5 cm cyst. What fun. I go to pain management, but like clockwork....when "the time" comes, my breakthough pain is unreal. I'm going to speak with my pm Dr. to see if we can try something different for the breakthrough pain as I feel I have built up some tolerence, and perhaps a change could help me through that "time". I can soooo relate to how you feel. My pain Dr. feels though, at least for me that I should keep the ovary. Reason being, I have pain on the left lower quadrant that brought me to pain management to begin with..so that will still be there, and then, I'll be dealing with the hormone issue on top of it all. I can't bear the thought of another surgery anyway. I know it's tough and wish I could fix it for you, but all I can offer is empathy...true empathy, because it is crappy! You are so right. Please hang in there.....take care, Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register