colon resection march 19th OMG!!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colon resection march 19th  OMG!!!!! colon resection march 19th OMG!!!!!

Unread 03-08-2003, 11:58 PM
colon resection march 19th OMG!!!!!

Voice of experience, been there, done that. You do NOT have to go the Lytely route to clean out the bowel. There is no way the Dr can tell what you used to clean out with once that bowel is clean. You can use a bottle of Magnesium Citrate in place of the Phospho Soda & the two day liquid diet. You can use Ensure WITHOUT FIBER the first day of your liquid diet. The key and secret to any of these cleansers is to drink PLENTY OF LIQUIDS. That is why the surgeons push the Lytely products, they KNOW you are going to down all that volume w/the Lytely products. At least they think they know. I vomited so much I dehydrated on them.

I've had a small bowel resection and that was upon instruction of my GI and colorectal surgeon when I planted my feet and said NO to the Lytely product.

And if you plant your feet about the nasogastral tube there is another option there too - the tube can go thru the side of your abdomen. No discomfort when it is in and no discomfort when it is removed.

Generally, if your surgeon has any decency or compassion at all the nasogastral tube is not inserted until after you are under sedation or anesthetic anyway and if it is taken out in recovery - who cares? But if it has to be in for any length of time you can insist on the abdominal tube instead.

I had an NG tube for 6 weeks and it got EXTREMELY painful. They didn't believe me, told me it was all in my imagination until I pulled the $&%#$ out myself and there were 3 bloody rings right where I said it hurt. When it came time for the small bowel resection and they mentioned the NG tube I told them NO WAY and that is when they came up with the tube thru the side of the abdomen and it worked very well for all concerned!!!

You need to sit down w/your surgeon and have a good, hard, serious talk with him. Let him know your fears. If the NG tube is only going to be in during surgery, what do you care? Just make sure you make it clear you don't want it inserted until after you are "under". It might even be necessary to remind him that as the patient you are the one who must endure the procedure and the results of the procedure.

By the way, it was Mayo Clinic whose surgeons were so understanding as to put the tube thru the side of the abdomen instead of an NG. A GOOD surgeon will work WITH you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks so much, 9 more days!

I just cant thank all of you enough for all your support before this upcoming surgery. Just to hear from people who have gone through what I am facing is such a comfort. Linda, I will be sure to post as soon as I can to let you know how it goes because you are so soon after me. To bad we cant be roomies!!! If taking out the sigmoid colon will help the constipation, then lets do it!!!!!! Besides, we have a new mall opening here soon, and I need to be READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Positive thoughts right?? I'll keep in touch and I will give my Dr. a call this week to see if tere is any other way to do this besides the Nulytly. What about a colonic? Has anyone ever done that? I can only imagine that would help a lot. Hmmmm... I'll ask about that too. Hugs to all, jody
Unread 03-09-2003, 08:49 AM

((((Jody & Linda)))),
I just wanted to let you both know my thots & prayers will be with you Pls know your ((Sisters)) will be w/ you in spirit, holding your hand all the way

((Jody)),
Please do not attempt any bowel cleansing w/o the ok of your Dr...your Surgeon knows what is best for you & I'm sure has lots of experience in performing these. So he is probably safre/more comfortable w/ whatever bowel prep method has worked best for him & his patients
I found some info for you on HG Tubes, maybe the more you know about them the less of a concern they will be:

Care of the Patient Requiring an NG Tube: http://www.nursewise.com/courses/ng_hour.htm

Nasogastric Tube (NG) :
http://www.acs.ohio-state.edu/units/...as-pr/naso.pdf

http://www.nccep.org/content/ems/sta...res/NGTube.pdf

http://www.apria.com/resources/ap_hl...1-N-194,00.htm

http://www.pullthrough.org/glossary/surgery.htm

http://www.concentric.net/~Smpot3/NG-tube.html

Big ((((hugs))))...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2003, 09:21 AM

Thanks for clarifying, Sheri. In re-reading my post I didn't realize that I hadn't stressed that for surgery the Dr should know what you were cleansing with due to individual test results re: potassium, etc. For a colonoscopy it doesn't make ANY difference. I have that on authority of more than one good gastro.

What I meant to stress was that there are alternatives to the Lytely products and that sometimes you have to plant your feet with these surgeons. Too many order what is comfortable for them w/no consideration of the comfort of the patient.

I had to advocate for my mother and my grandmother and even finally got up enough courage to advocate for my husband and things went much easier and better for each of them. All it took was for someone to get across to the surgeon the patient's concerns and comfort level. Many of us don't have enough courage to do that with our surgeon. Or even our doctor. I know I didn't my first surgery. Thankfully I had a wonderful GP who taught me to speak up. There are alternatives to the Lytely products whether any particular surgeon likes it or not.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register