back from surgery & lots of complications :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

back from surgery & lots of complications :( back from surgery & lots of complications :(

Unread 03-01-2003, 05:08 PM
back from surgery & lots of complications :(

Dear sisters,
I was finally released from the hospital late Saturday afternoon. My bladder sling surgery was on Wednesday. It took three hours since my doctor said it was more complicated than he had anticipated. I had a lot of scar tissue and adhesions around my bladder and my doctor said he had to remove old stitches from my previous bladder repair in 2000 and then he nicked my bladder and caused a small hole, which he said he promptly fixed. He was very apologetic, but said my bladder was such a mess with adhesions it was very difficult to work with and my bladder lining was very thin. Because of the condition of my bladder and the adhesions that had to be worked through, I do not have the supra public catheter as planned. I was in recovery for about 2 hours. I also lost a lot of blood and am anemic, so they were checking my blood count a lot and now I have to take iron twice a day. I was sent home with a Foley and a leg bag Foley for the daytime, which I will have for at least 3 weeks! I'm very depressed about this. I have a low bikini incision with 12 sutures and a drain tube that was removed today. The sutures will be removed later this week. My hyst was a lap procedure, so I am not used to this kind of incision, it hurts! Any of your wise advice would be welcome. I am having a little vaginal bleeding from the inside stitches, but not too bad. I guess I'm just exhaused and in pain, but finally home. Any words of encouragement or wisdom on how to get through 3 weeks with a Foley would be helpful. I'm going to lay back down now, but will check in again soon. Thank you dear sisters.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2003, 05:20 PM

Hi Druid...

I am soo sorry to hear things did not go as smoothly as expected. Mine never do either though..
I am sending you a GREAT BIG

I will that things start to get better for you and you heal quickly.

Please alot and keep us posted when you feel up to it!!!

Pam
Unread 03-01-2003, 05:29 PM

Hang in there, Druid!

I'm new to this site, but saw your post requesting support of encouragement, and just wanted to let you know that you have it!! I am sorry about the complications. I have you in my thoughts and prayers. What I've read for recovery advice is lots of rest, fluids, and little walks. You are very special! I admire your courage. God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2003, 06:27 PM

((((Druid)))))) I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time with this last surgery It sures hasn't been an easy road for you!!!!

I have no insight to offer regarding incision care, since I had a TVH, but I'm sure our ((((sisters)))) will be around soon to shed a bit of on the issue.

I was on iron supplements after my TVH, due to very heavy blood loss, both before the surgery and during. I was amazed at how quickly my levels went back up. Hopefully, you'll have the type of recovery in that area.

You know the drill, sweetie: lots of rest, drink as directed and walk for recovery.
Unread 03-01-2003, 09:35 PM
(((((Druid)))))

Well dang, Druid!! Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I didn't have my Foley for three weeks, so I can't speak from experience there, but I'm sure you'll manage. It's just a drag.

I didn't do anything special for any of my incisions. Just kept them dry until they were healed. That shouldn't take long. So showers only for now and you aren't going to be climbing into any bathtubs with that Foley anyway. Sorry, don't mean to make light, but just was trying to figure out how you would look in the tub with that thing.

Of course you're feeling down about this. This was not in the Plan!! But time flies. You know how that goes. Just act like the that you are and you'll be better ASAP.

Joselle
Unread 03-01-2003, 09:48 PM

Hi, Druid,

((Hugs)) to you. What a rough time you're having. I had an abdominal hysterectomy, so I had a bikini incision as well. I had to get 2 units of blood in the hospital, because I apparently had a bleeder they didn't stop, which caused alot of bruising (my navel to the tops of my thighs was black, as well as my bottom) - my hemaglobin got down to 6.3 2 days postop. I got the blood and felt much better. I did have alot of oozing from my incision - the first time I stood up, had some blood running down leg and out of vagina as well. I kept steri-strips over the part of the incision that seemed opened up a bit (after the staples were taken out), gently cleaned it each day in the shower (or with water, gently, then dried it gently,if I didn't shower), then I put antibiotic ointment on a nonstick/nonadhesive telfa pad,put that over the incision, however many it took - two smaller ones or one larger one, then put a conform bandage over mine (5X9inches) or whatever side you need,tape and wore a thin maxi pad (once I stopped having vaginal drainage) crossways over the incision and first dressing. I noticed when I did more and/or went out, I had more discharge (mostly clear, with some blood = then lighter pink). This worked well for me and dh was good to help me with it. Are you taking pain medicine for this? You'll probably need it with such a large incision, that does cause more pain from movement with this incision. I used pain medicine for quite awhile. That's how I dressed my incision and it worked well for me - had to do that for about 3 wks postop. AS far as the foley catheter goes, easy does it. Have dh empty it frequently, ask your doctor about cleaning around your urethra (opening where you pee from ) = usually just warm water and a very mild nonstinging antibacterial soap work fine, dry it,gently, that helps keep off surface germs,but check with doctor on procedure he/she recommends for this. Call if you don't know for sure. You'll do fine, hon, this'll give your bladder time to adjust and heal from this surgery. Then they'll wean you off the catheter so you'll have good sensation to pee again. Please be patient and grateful it wasn't worse. I know that's hard, considering it's already hard, but I'll be praying lots for you. God bless, take care, post often to let us know how you're doing. We care.
DebraDeeH

this is my opinion;always get medical advice from a doctor
Unread 03-02-2003, 12:08 AM

Hi (((Druid))), I'm glad to hear from you, I was wondering how things went! I haven't had any abdominal incisions yet (ask me about that in around a month) but I did have a Foley at home after my hyst, for a week. I could have had it longer, actually... it became very natural and easy for me after the first couple of days.

I think my kids helped me best with accepting it. I have two boys who were 8 and 12 then. They thought the Foley was sooooo cool because Mom could now pee standing up just like them! They were fascinated with every detail of its operation.

I have a couple of hints to pass along that might make living with the Foley a little easier. One is to remove the elastic bands from your leg bag before you shower, and tape the bag onto your leg with that very light thin paper adhesive tape that comes off easily afterwards and doesn't leave a residue. Otherwise the elastic bands will get wet and eventually lose their stretch.

Next, some baggy black knit slacks will cover the leg bag just fine and enable you to 'have a life' with the Foley in place. I had mine for Valentine's Day last year and insisted that DBF and I go out anyway... I wore a colorful top with the baggy black slacks (Wal Mart $7.99 specials, I still wear them even now) and had a wonderful time.

Finally, make sure the bag is always below the level of your bladder so the catheter can drain your bladder properly. For me the hardest part was during the night, I would roll over and not even know I'd done it. The best way I found to prevent that was to lie on my side and wedge a pillow in at the small of my back so I couldn't roll back over to the other side. Make sure the leg bag is on the leg on the side you most like to lie on. If, at any time, you start feeling pressure like the catheter is not draining properly, just stand up. That should allow gravity to do its work.

Hang in there sweetie, you will do just fine... the catheter is your friend (keeps you from having to keep getting up all night long) and will come out eventually!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-02-2003, 12:26 AM

(((((Druid))). I hope that you feel better soon. I also have a catheter, am going on my third week now, I will keep you in my thoughts .we are here for you sister. I had a tah/ bso on jan 21, vertical incision. now have had a v v f since feb 1st. The incision scar pain will get better with time. Take it easy and

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

s

Jan
Unread 03-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Thank you

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I still feel pretty lousy and I think even more exhausted than I ever was after surgery. I guess maybe it's because of being anemic. I've been having an incredible headache since last night, even when taking pain meds. I don't think it's from the pain meds since I've taken them before. I'm trying to remember, can the after effects of anesthesia give you headaches??? Thanks for your input.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 03-02-2003, 12:19 PM
{{{{{ Druid }}}}}

Druid..... aw sweetie, sorry you are out of it. As each day passes, you'll get stronger and stronger. Remember to eat well, drink plenty of fluids and walk a little.

DH was anemic all of last year due to chemo he was on....it's no fun being cold all the time, no energy....but part of that could be from the trauma your body just endured. Wrap up in snuggly blankets, have someone warm one up in the dryer for a few minutes and wrap up in that....it's very soothing.

As for the Foley, I escaped having one (barely) after my hyster., so I don't have any ideas for you on that.....Linda posted some good ones though and our other sisters as well.

Know I'm sending strong, positive thoughts your way for a smooth recovery and that you will soon regain your strength and stamina.

Here's a sweet for you....

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register