back from surgery & lots of complications :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

back from surgery & lots of complications :( back from surgery & lots of complications :(

Unread 03-02-2003, 03:15 PM
back from surgery & lots of complications :(

(((Druid))),
I'm sorry to hear of all the added complications I have no experience with this type of surgery or a Foley catheter. I do however have some info on Anethesia & it's effects that might be of some help:

Quote:
What are the side effects of general anesthesia ?

Minor side effects from general anesthesia and surgery are common. These include nausea, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, or a generalized "hang-over" type feeling. Fortunately these are most often not serious and resolve on their own in hours or a few days after surgery. Rarely these side effects are severe enough to require specific treatment or possibly further hospitalization.

Can I drive home after my surgery ?No. Even though many patients will feel quite awake and unaffected by the anesthetics after the surgery, the bodies reflexes will continue to be influenced for a minimum or 24 hours. Therefore it is mandatory the patient not drive or operate heavy machinery for a minimum of 24 hours.

http://www.reddinganesthesia.com/general.htm

The person may need to stay in the hospital for a few days to recover from the procedure. Often the person can go home after a few hours. The person must be stable and feel well enough to go home, and someone must be available to drive the person home. The medications cause coordination problems and slowed reflexes for several hours after surgery. What happens later at home?After getting home, the person should rest for the remainder of the day. By the next day, the anesthesia is usually out of the system. The following day, the pain from the surgery usually causes more problems than the anesthesia. A person should not drive for at least 12 hours after the procedure. Some people may take a few days to feel that they are back to normal.

http://health.discovery.com/diseases...edia/2947.html
http://blueprint.bluecrossmn.com/topic/anesthesia;$sessionid$41GDPDQAAAYF2CTYAIUDMGQ

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_anesthes_crs.htm

http://www.asahq.org/patientEducation/ambulatory.htm

http://www.aana.com/patients/after.asp

My thots & prayers will be w/ you ((Druid)) Pls keep us posted....((((((hugs))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2003, 07:53 PM

Dear Druid, sorry to read your post , I do REALLY feel for you!!! About the headaches ,I get them very bad, that tablets dont take the pain away, when my iron levels are low ,(anemic). You may have them up until your iron level are back to normal....This is what I feel your headaches may be from as it is a common anemic symptom. Takecare and hope your feeling bettter soon,love debbiepxxxx
Unread 03-03-2003, 07:05 AM

HI Druid,

Oh you poor thing- I was thinking of you this morning and so happy to see your post.. I am SO sorry you are having such a hard time- surgery is bad enough which we all know- but now having the foley too!!;(

I am on my 4th week with the foley and it truly does get to you at times but you will get used to it.. you feel so yucky anyway from the surgery and the cath is just adding to all you have to think about. the only good thing is that you don't have to get up and pee and that is helpful especially at night..

Linda gave you all the good tips and one thing I notice is that if I sit for a while(like in the car, at the computer) sometimes the bag won't drain as much, so I get up often so that it will drain..

Hope you are feeling better today and getting around a little easier. I am thinking and praying for you and know that we are here if you need us. Keep the chin up and stay warm and cozy in your bed.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 08:08 AM
My Dear Friend ((((((((Druid))))))))

I am sorry that I am late in adding my support to you ((((Druid)))) I have not been on the boards lately and was so sad when I saw your post.

I wish I had some light to shed on this for you. I don't doubt that you are feeling very tired and depressed. I can only offer you my ... prayers...and support. I pray that you will feel stronger as each day passes.

The sisters have given you some great advice. Please let us know how you are doing...ONLY when you are up to it.

Please get lots of rest, and come here for support when you are able...

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register