Ecsema on the labias :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ecsema on the labias :( Ecsema on the labias :(

Unread 03-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Ecsema on the labias :(

I should have noted Steph's caution in my earlier post on this subject. Any steroid cream, particularly in that area, should never be used for more than a few days. When either my DD or I have used it, we've only used it for a day or two.

Judy, constant itching like that can also be a sign of vaginal atrophy, so you might want to start with some sort of topical estrogen product. If it is truly eczema, ask about what you can use for long-term usage in that area. I think I bought my last tube at Sav-On, but as I said, look in the "feminine" aisle (what a strange word!) for it.

You also both might want to investigate some of the organic baby products with calendula in them. My understanding is that calendula works very effectively for localized irritation like you're describing.

Steph, thanks for your post! In my household, we take that warning for granted, but I forget that many don't realize that steroid creams are never for chronic use...

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 10:55 PM

Hi, Ladies,

The active ingredient in Gynecort is 1% hydrocortisone. If you're going to try this, you can save yourself some money by buying a generic tube of 1% hydrocortisone, rather than buying Gynecort.

Pediatricians often recommend alternating 1% hydrocortisone and a prescription antifungal for infants with diaper rash caused by yeast. This is intended only for short term use, but if it's safe for a baby, I would think it's safe for an adult, too.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 03-04-2003, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the info, dear friends

I've found a form of creme hydrocortisone that sounds similar in makeup to Gynecort. It's Cortef. I've been using it very sparingly, once a day, and have already noticed a big difference.

BTW, I'm aware that this is a treatment that can only be used on a short term basis. I'm hoping that this is only a fluke and that, once the flare-up is controlled, I won't have to deal with this again.

BTW, I tried the diapper rash cremes before, but I really don't like them for myself. And my DS, who also has a tendency towards exzema, had the same problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register