results of endocrinologist visit - need testing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

results of endocrinologist visit - need testing results of endocrinologist visit - need testing

Unread 08-18-2000, 03:03 PM
results of endocrinologist visit - need testing

I just got back from the endocrinologist. I was afraid he would just think I was whining -- since I have my ovaries and yet still feel tired. I just don't have any bounce with stress. The other menopausal symptoms are fairly mild with the .5 estrace.

He was wonderful! He said I have a nodule on my thyroid, and need to have blood tests done and perhaps an ultrasound, and 1% chance I might need a needle biopsy. (Trish, you called the thyroid problem correctly!) He's also doing an am cortisol, dhea, free testosterone, FSH, prolactin, and some other things I don't recognize. He said he didn't expect the pituitary test to come back positive, but he wanted to rule out a pituitary infarct. He said it is uncommon, but would account for my symptoms and does happen after blood pressure falls very low with a large blood loss like I had the night of my surgery. I'm pretty sure that's NOT what's going on, as I'm not THAT tired!! I see him again in 2 weeks to discuss the lab work. He seems very knowledgeable, believes in saliva tests and progesterone, etc. We'll talk HRT once he knows what's going on with the pituitary, adrenals and thyroid. I'm thinking everything may come back normal, but I'll FEEL better just KNOWING that. Then we can move on to the HRT.

He spoke so strongly to me, looking right in my eyes, that I have to stop the negative thinking about my body, that I have to decide to trust it to carry me again, and at the same time know the time of death is uncertain for all of us - that's just the fact of our mortality. (I was thinking of your Chicken Little remarks, Savh.) He picked right up on the near death aspect of my bleed & surgery, and the feeling of not trusting my body ever since. At first I wasn't sure whether I was going to be offended by him, but then I realized that it felt like I was getting an emotional transfusion from his eyes. It is time to HEAL. As an endocrinologist, I bet he is especially sensitive to the body-mind connection. He said he will help my body give me a strong foundation, but that what I do with my mind is far more powerful than anything he can do. He said I have to make a decision to trust life in a deeper way now. He was gentle and yet very powerful at the same time. Interesting fellow -quite a surprising experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2000, 03:52 PM

Yeah, Bethany!!!!! I'm so excited for you. I've been thinking about an endocrinologist, but would have to travel several hundred miles - slight draw back. I'll be following your posts with great interest. Best wishes to you as you continue to venture through the Jungle. There are so many different routes to take - hope this one brings you to the jungle clearing in a hurry!
Unread 08-18-2000, 06:25 PM

Way to Go!!!! It sounds like you found a wonderful person to help you. Good luck and healthy days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2000, 08:07 PM

Hey, Bethany, can I come to your doctor!?! Kidding aside, he sounds an exceptional healer and you were guided to find him. I'm so glad that the light is glimmering through the leaves of the jungle and you've found a beacon! And I'm so glad I could plug in a nightlight on your way to finding him.

I know what you mean about not trusting your body. I've been struggling a lot with that myself. I think this is a different experience when it's forced upon you--and especially for you.

When you get on thyroid replacement, you'll find it makes you feel so much better.

{{{Bethany}}}
[Edited by trish on 08-18-2000]
Unread 08-18-2000, 08:22 PM

Hey Bethany - I'm so happy you have found a wonderful guy. He sounds like he may be a keeper. Sometimes the search is long and hard - but if you find a good one it was well worth the search. Good luck to you.
Unread 08-19-2000, 03:01 PM
Your endocrinologist poses interesting thought

Hmm. Just when I finished sending you a note, I jumped over here and read your post. I do think that dr. may be on to something here. After the emergency surgery I have not trusted that my body will take care of me and each little thing wrong seems like the sure sign of a life-threatening incident about to happen again. It's waiting for the other shoe to drop on a daily basis that could send us back to the hospital in dire health. I know that, in itself, is extremely tiring. Added to possible throid problem, whew what a lot to deal with. Yes, I will definitely ask for a thyroid test when I have my Sept. physical. Or should I get myself to an endocrinologist promptly?

I'm so glad that you found this dr.! You are adding another beacon of light to help swashbuckle through the jungle! Please let us know what happens. Love, Linda
Unread 08-19-2000, 03:15 PM

Linda - its so good to hear from you - I do think the endocrinologist will be helpful. He was the first doctor who seemed interested in making sure there was no ongoing problem that could have lead to the massive bleed in the first place. I know that's a concern for you too, as your situation was very similar to mine in its near death aspect. I think its important to make sure the endocrinologist is an expert in HRT, as many of them specialize more in things like diabetes. With all the problems you are having, you might want to go sooner rather than later.
Janie, Trish, Holly, and Hypermom (what a great name - I sure feel like one a lot of the time!) I appreciate your connection. I will be in touch in a couple weeks when I get the lab reports back. This could be an important step.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register