Not Gallbladder or gas, it is a Pulmonary Embolism!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not Gallbladder or gas, it is a Pulmonary Embolism!! Not Gallbladder or gas, it is a Pulmonary Embolism!!

Unread 03-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Not Gallbladder or gas, it is a Pulmonary Embolism!!

I am a bit drugged up right now but wanted to update you all that gave me so much great advise... I ended up in the ER this morning because I was having pain breathing and could not catch my breath and my ankle and shin were very swolled. I blacked out in the ER and ws taken by ambulance to a civilian Hopsital where they ran EVERY test imagineable. I was put on bloodthinners and told I have a very small blood clot that traveled from my leg to my left lung. The quick thinging and actions of the Er staff at the Military hospital saved my life. Anyway, I am on bedrest for a few days and bloodthinners. I also found out I have bronchitis. I thing I may write a book and title it "How many medical problems can YOU have at one time". It feels NEVER ENDING. Sorry I did not give alot of details, but my pain meds for my back are just now working and I can not think clearly..

Thanks again for everyones support

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2003, 11:52 PM

((((((Pam))))))

OMG!!! Thank goodness you listened and headed into the ER!

You poor baby... I hope your DH finally "gets it" and realizes how significant ALL of this is. I know he has a tendency to distance himself from all of your medical problems, but this is very hard to ignore.

I know you're new to the blood-thinner brigade, but there are a number of ladies who have had experience with these. A quick word of advice, since you should be in bed rather than reading, but watch those green leafy vegetables...spinach, kale, chard are s for you -- even broccoli can really wreak havoc with clotting times. Just like HRT, it may take some time to get stabilised.

I can't remember, but if you were on estrogen, did they take you off? Many of the ladies hanging out in the No-Hormone Desert Oasis are there thanks to clotting problems.

Another question, and I know this one is difficult, but, do you smoke? Smoking decidedly increases clotting problems, and I sooo hope you don't!

I'm a little surprised they went ahead and sent you home, especially with the bronchitis. Should you have any further problems tonight, you need to RUN, not walk to the ER again, by ambulance. This is nothing to fool with!

I'm glad you posted, and you will be in my ers...please, take care????

Audrey
Unread 03-04-2003, 12:07 AM

((((((((((Pam)))))))))) I am so glad you are OK! The leg swelling must have been really scary, too... that must have been the tipoff to the DRs that it might be a clot?

As (((Audrey))) said, there are other sisters here who are on blood thinners, and hopefully some of them will be by to share their experiences.

I hope you can get comfortable now so you can get some .... we'll wait to hear an update from you when you feel a little better.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2003, 05:47 AM

(((Pam))),
I am soo glad you went to the ER How scarey
I suffer from a blood-clotting disorder as well. I was put on Coumadin a few years ago but have discontinued it & use aspirin therapy. No hormones for me either The forum ((Audrey)) suggested is wonderful...
Are you on HRT? If so let me know as I have several links containg some excellent info on dealing with Menopause when unable to take HRT....
My prayers are with you ((Pam))
Unread 03-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks Sisters

Thanks for replying.. I am still a little out of it today. I laid around 70% of the day, the other 30% was spent in the bathroom. Nothing new there though. The swelling in my leg is finally going down and it is sore to the touch (which is what they said it would do)I just feel very weak and tired. I can not tell what it is from though, because I almost feels like I do when my thyroid level is off. :cry:

DH took the day off and we laid around and watched movies together. What a life lesson learned for him I guess. He even went and waited at the pharmacy to get my meds for me. WHAT A CHANGE that is..

I guess he finally realized that someone you love can be gone in a blink of an eye and you never showed them you cared.

As for the questions you asked, No they did not take me off of my hormones. That was never discussed. I see my Gyn Thursday so I will definetly ask him about it. As for smoking. UNFORTUNATLY I have to answer yes to that. I could lie, but that would do me no good. I KNOW, I KNOW.. I need to quit. That is something else I am trying to work on. I guess after this, I need to work a little bit harder though.

Thanks for you prayers, I greatly appreciate them!!!

I am going to go to bed, but I will try and keep you all updated..

Unread 03-05-2003, 12:16 AM

Pam:

I'm glad to hear that your DH finally got a bit of a wake-up call!

You do have to know that the combination of smoking, and HRT can be what we call "thrombogenic" -- it does, as you've found out the hard way promote blood clots.

Ask your doctor about an SSRI (type of antidepressant) called "Zyban". It's the same as Welbutrin, and seems to specifically help with the nicotine receptors in the brain -- might also work on depression, you never know, and is supposed to have the least sexual side effects of them all. It's marketed as Zyban for exactly the indication of smoking cessation, and honestly, you have to try any strategy that may work for you at this time.

When you go see the doctor for your followup appointments, ask for a long one. They should be counselling you about diet and talking about your HRT with you. I don't know of anyone who has had a blood clot and been allowed to continue with their estrogen -- the statistics are not in your favor, especially as a smoker.

Hopefully your DH's change of heart is permanent, although I know they tend to "drift" after a while. Use this time to do some talking, as you feel up to it, about how difficult this has all been for you, and how much you've missed his "partnership" of late. (I'm about ready to "buff up" my DH as well -- he was great for the first few months after my hyst, but now he's making noises about housework not getting done ).

Take care, and please, please, wear those anti-clot stockings they gave you for your surgery, keep those legs UP, and make everyone take care of you. This is NOT to be fooled with!

Audrey
Unread 03-05-2003, 07:20 AM

I use to work for a cardiologist and he used Zyban with several of his patients with excellent results. May not work for you, but isn't it worth a try? I wish you the best!
Unread 03-05-2003, 08:06 AM

Glad to hear you found out what the problem was/is. Hopefully you are on your way to a better YOU. Hang in!

Joselle
Unread 03-05-2003, 08:39 AM

Thanks once again.. I tried wellbutrin at one time, I guess I was not ready to quit because It did not help. I am also scared to take any more meds than I am already taking so I might just have to quit cold turkey!!!

I am on Zoloft, Xanax, Premarin, Synthroid, Zocor, and Tylox.

I will ask my Dr tomorrow about the Zyban.

I am very achy today and even weak, I dropped my coffee cup in my bathroom sink my hands just would not hold it.

I think the most depressing part of all of this is that I just keep getiing it all and then some. When will I get a break? I HATE my kids seeing me sick all of the time and my DD would not even come to ther hospital because she did not want to see me that way. I feel sooo bad for her and my DS who asks everyday if I have to go back to the hospital. I could not catch my breath last night after sleeping for 2 hours I got up and just could not take a deep breath.

Well I am going to go and

HUG to all!!!

Pam
Unread 03-05-2003, 08:48 AM

(((Pam)))
I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I really hope you get to feeling better soon. I hope you are able to quit smoking. I have heard some people get help to stop with the patches. Get some rest and follow dr's orders. I will for you. BTW I sent you a pm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register