Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ

Unread 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ

Hello, I am new. This site was recommended by a very helpful friend. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer last Wednesday and have an appt. with a Gyn Oncologist Monday, the 10th, will then schedule a hysterectomy to remove cervix and uterus. My mother (who just let this info slip out after hearing I had an abnormal pap) had cervical cancer at 46 and a hysterectomy, my grandmother at 42. I am going to be 40 in May. Does anyone have experience with this type of cervical cancer? If so, please fill me in.

Thank you,
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 09:02 AM

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it looks like the cancer is at a very early stage and therefore should be able to be removed with the hysterectomy. It is great news that you are going to see a gyn-oncologist, and getting in so quickly!

Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of info you are looking for so I'll just lay out my experience and what I've read. I had micro-invasive cervical adenocarcinoma. I had a relatively new procedure called a trachelectomy performed, which is the removal of the cervix only, because of the potential for future fertility (I am 31, no kids). However, a hysterectomy is a much more common and recommended treatment for adenocarcinoma.

As for general information, adenocarcinoma currently makes up about 15% of cervical cancers, with squamous cell about 80% and misc. types the other 5%. Adenocarcinoma is cancer that begins in glandular tissue, as opposed to squamous cell that tends to begin in epithelial tissues.

There are some types of adenocarcinoma, including clear cell, that are thought to spread more quickly than squamous cell. But recent reports are showing that most types of adenocarcinomas grow at about the same rate as squamous cell carcinomas and therefore can be treated in the same manner as squamous cell.

One important thing about adenocarcinoma is that it is much harder to detect with a Pap Smear than squamous, because it arises higher up in the cervix and the cells are more difficult to reach and sample. Was yours found with a Pap? I'm so glad that it was found at an early stage!

Anyway, that's all I've got so far. There are several other posters here who have had adeno and who have had hysterectomies so they would probably be much more helpful in talking to you about that specific treatment. Best of luck to you, Mary, you will be in my thoughts.

Chicklet
Unread 03-05-2003, 03:38 PM

I had cervical adenocarcinoma. A hysterectomy is over 99% curable in Stage 1A. If you are done having children, it is the recommended treatment. I wanted more children but had it done anyway just to be safe. I have 2 healthy children and decided not to take any chances. I am a bit past my 1 year anniversary and have been fine. Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 03:53 PM
question

would stage 1a ,question i had a 1cm tumor cervical cancer is that 1a, or 1a1, i did not have spread or need other treatments. i had the squamous cell carcinoma if i am spelling this correctly

thanks

brenda
Unread 03-05-2003, 05:02 PM

I also want to add that I have endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS) and carcinoma in situ (CIS) meaning I have both epithelial and glandular tissues affected. I saw a gyn-onoc last week who said it was perfectly reasonable to wait on the hyster to see what my pap in May says. I had a LEEP done the beginning of January. I am seeing a Naturopath who has me on some supplements together with my regular vitamins and has me on a better diet. Regular yoga, meditation and relieving stress are my immediate goals. I had my tubes tied several years ago so fertility isn't an issue but removing my uterus is also not a choice I will take lightly and I wanted to explore all my options before rushing into anything. There is a lot of info out there and many options for people who have very early diagnosed cancers or precancers. You will be in my thoughts Mary. Keep your chin up and positive thoughts in your head and heart. It really does help.
Unread 03-07-2003, 08:22 PM
thanx to all !

Thank you all for your input. I have an appointment Monday to see a Gyn/Oncologist. I am compiling a list of questions and options. Will keep posted.

Last Wed. I had some news about my heart. I am cleared for surgery, however, after the EKG, the Cardiologist said I need the ASD (atral septal defect) closed, it has grown and is large. This news hit me harder than I thought. I guess it's just getting used to the cancer and revisiting my heart conditions (murmer, MVP & ASD) that put me a little over. I was kind of freaking out about the possibility of not making it through surgery, and needing more treatment, etc. Thank goodness that heavy feeling is gone for now. I heard of a new procedure to fix/patch/coil the ASD without having open heart surgery. If anyone has any info, please inform. I'll be looking around. I know I need to focus on the cancer first, then deal with the heart. It must not be that bad, or I suppose I would not be cleared for surgery.

Anyway, thanks for your support and both conventional and natural treatment info.

teresa240: can you tell me if the LEEP removed all of the cells? I read about this procedure and it sounded good. My Gyn seems to think I need the hysto and not just the LEEP. She is good and I trust her. What kind of supplements are you on? Are they for the recovery after the LEEP? Thank you, I need to get back into yoga. I have been concentrating on a bit of meditation. I also get lost birdwatching in my backyard!

Another Q: What natural recovery treatments (herbs, diet, etc.) have you used after the hysterectomy?

Mary
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:31 AM

I am sorry that you have another hurdle to overcome. I had a Leep for AIS but it did not get it all. It can but did not with me. A cone is more likely to get it all. However, if a hysterectomy is what you eventually need then you many not want to put yourself through another procedure. Does the heart surgery put off the hysterectomy? Although this is all scary, it all sounds curable in the end.
Unread 03-09-2003, 08:29 AM
hysto first, then heart

Hi Denise,

No, the heart surgery does not put off the hyst. So, hopefully (detect a little fear?), this means that the ASD patch is not so critical.

About you, do you need a cone now, or a hyst?

Thanks for you concern.
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM

I had a TVH a little over a year ago. I could have done a cone biopsy. I have 2 children but wanted a third. However, my doctors advised me to have the hysterectomy. The hysterectomy was basically 100% curative, while with the cone, there was a risk that the margins would come back as clear when they were not. In addition with adeno, it frequently reappears. So I can no longer have children, but have been cancer free for over a year and am most likely cured. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 03-09-2003, 02:44 PM

Hi, Mary!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns! I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with cancer, but I am happy that you have an appointment already with a gyn/onc! Gyn/oncs really are the experts when it comes to treatment and surgical techniques for female cancers.

The exact procedure you have is determined by the extent of invasion of your cancer. For very early stage cancers, sometimes a cone biopsy is all that is needed. Sometimes a hysterectomy is needed. Your gyn/onc will lay out whatever options are available to you.

Good luck, Mary! And I hope your ASD is easily taken care of.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register