Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ

Unread 03-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Cervical AdenoCarcenoma in situ

Mary,

I'm glad you've picked a course of action that you're comfortable with, it sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2003, 08:26 PM

(((Mary)))

It sounds as if you are putting a lot of thought into this. I believe it's always best to know as much as you possibly can before making a medical decision.

How was your cancer diagnosed? I don't believe I've heard you talk about actually already having a LEEP or cone, so did they do an ECC?

It's not unusual for women to have a cone biopsy done. So many times it is curative for the condition--other times it just helps the docs know what they're dealing with before surgery if that is required.

I have previously read that in cases of cervical carcinoma-in-situ that 1 in 7 progresses to invasive cancer if left untreated. That means that 6 in 7 would not naturally progress to cancer. Obviously the kicker is that you have no way of knowing if you are the 1 or part of the other 6, so with our current medical technology of course everyone is treated--why take the risk? And no one really knows what causes one woman's to progress to cancer, but not another woman's. There are so many possible factors involved. The best thing we can do is to stick close to our gyn's and gyn/onc's! And of course take the very best care of ourselves by getting plenty of sleep, eating well, taking appropriate vitamins, etc.

Good luck, Mary! Please let us know how things go for you.
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:21 AM
How I was diagnosed

My PAP showed atypical endocervical cells, then a colposcopy, biopsy and ECC (endocervical curettage) were done. The cervical and the ECC showed adenocarcinoma in situ.

I am planning to get a deep knife cone biopsy for further diagnosis and hopefully therapy. Follow up with ECC/PAP every 3 mos for a year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 07:44 AM

unrelated to adenocarcenoma, HPV was found as well. The lab did not recommend testing for this from the PAP results, though my GYN did. Just a little FYI.
Unread 03-14-2003, 10:40 PM
CIS

CIS is cancer. I have DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) which is cancerous tumor in a milk duct in the breast. Doctors have told me it is pre-cancer / not cancer. But an R.N. who leads the support group I have attended and has DCIS herself says it is cancer. I agree. It is very, very, very early breast cancer. And it is CIS because the tumor is still encapsulated in the milk duct and has not as yet burst out.

So I have had lumpectomy and 33 radiation treatments. Will have semi-annual mammograms for two years and breast exam by DR. every 3 - 4 months for two years. Then I should be safe. I expect to be.

This first showed up a suspicious microcalcification cluster in a mammogram. Nothing could be seen or felt. Get your mammograms.

Mary D.
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:07 AM

Hi Mary.

I have Adenocarcinoma in situ as well. My doctor also considers it "precancer", but has convinced me to schedule a hysterectomy in May. I spoke to him at length about this and he wants me to have the surgery because he couldn't rule out it recurring. I had a LEEP done in Jan, and he said neither he nor the Pathologist could rule out that all the "precancer" was gone. With the Adenocarinoma, it's more difficult to follow because it's not on the surface like the squamous cell. What's to say if they miss a spot on a pap, or biopsy? I would hate to pay the consequences for having waited, when now I can do something that has such a high cure rate. I have 2 children, but was not ruling out the possibility of a 3rd. But I want to be around for my 2. Adoption is always an option. I feel that even though the doc's say "precancer" it should be considered cancer. My sister just got an abnormal pap and was found to be HPV positive. She is just starting to go through this stuff. As for HPV, I told her that the majority of the population does have it. It's just usually not noticeable. I asked my doctor if my problems were related to HPV and he said no. If they found cancerous squamous cells then he said it may be HPV related. But he said that adenocarcinoma is rarely HPV related.

Good luck with your next procedure. As I told my doctor, this stuff *****, but I'm willing to go through with it just to stay healthy.
Unread 03-17-2003, 12:41 PM

Hi, Kandi!

Glad to see that you and your doctor have decided on a course of action for you that you are comfortable with.

I did want to throw in, though, that studies have shown that adenocarcinoma IS associated with HPV. Different studies show anywhere from 40-80% of cases are associated with HPV (most typically HPV16 and HPV18--which are most commonly associated with squamous cell carcinoma as well). Some of the women in these studies had squamous involvement as well, but most had only glandular cell involvement. So, not all cases have been attributed to HPV, but a lot have.

Are you seeing a gynecologic oncologist?

Good luck with your surgery!

Unread 03-17-2003, 12:47 PM

I just learned that HPV is now related to the adenocarcinomas. Shoot, just when I thought I didn't have it. So far, no one has officially told me I have HPV, but I'm sure that will come out once the pathologist has done the ole once-over on my uterus.

No matter what, it doesn't really change too much for me. I'm still having the surgery and hope the recovery time goes by quickly and well.

My doctor is an OB/GYN. I haven't seen an OB/GYN Oncologist. My doc is also a surgeon (who performed my 2 c-sections). He does wonderful work and stitches nicely.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register