Cin I | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Cin I

I have been diagnosed with CIN I in Dec 2002 and have been put on the list to have second Colposcopy in June/July 2003. There were several abnormal PAP smears before the first colposcopy and there is an indication of HPV as well. My ONC/GYN has advised that if we wished to fall pregnant to go ahead and try as the colposcopy would still be done in June/July and decisions would be made from there. My GP wants me to at least have a PAP smear before making any decisions and would prefer me to wait until June/July before making any decisions. I am now 35 and very unsure of which is the best way in which to proceed. Is there anyone who has had similar experiences? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Cin I

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing such a difficult decision! It sounds as if your doctor thinks that there is a possibility that you will need to have a LEEP/cone biopsy procedure in the future, or possibly even a hysterectomy, and thus is concerned that you will not be able to have children in the future.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, but with the early stage of CIN that you have, I think that it would be quite safe to get pregnant if that is what you want to do. Pap Smears and other tests can be conducted throughout pregnancy to closely monitor your situation.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I've read it is pretty common to just closely follow patients with the early stages of CIN with Paps and colposcopy. Hope this helps.

Chicklet
Unread 03-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Cin I

's Lee!

Dysplasia is such a worrisome diagnosis! CIN 1, though, is a very low-grade abnormality. Only about 1/3 (or fewer) of cells are involved--that means that most of your cells are still healthy. That could mean a couple of different things. It could mean that you have been caught early before things progressed very far, or it could mean that your body is actually trying to fight off this infection (and if you are like most women, you will succeed).

I'm not sure what to tell you about a pregnancy. The thing about pregnancy is that it does lower your immune functioning some, which opens the possibilities that the dysplasia could get worse. But then again, you are only CIN 1 which is a very long way from cancer.

My best suggestion for you is take excellent care of yourself--whatever you decide to do. Get plenty of sleep. Take appropriate vitamins (there is some evidence that folic acid can help us fight off this infection). Of course, check with your doctor, especially if you are planning a pregnancy. Eat well. Exercise regularly. Pray and/or meditate. All of these things contribute to an increase in immune function, which will help your body try to bring things back under control.

Good luck, Lee! I hope all goes well for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Cin I

I just had a cold knife cone biopsy for CIN-III. My pathology just came back and they said they were able to remove it all. However, the risks of incompetent cervix in any future pregnancies may mean that I cannot carry to term. Luckily, I have three children, and my husband already had a vasectomy because I was starting to have recurring miscarriages due to an unrelated problem. I am 31, and feel fortunate that I had children when I did.

The good news is that CIN--I can often go away without any treatment. HPV lives in 80% of all sexually active people and doesn't necessarily mean you will develop cancer. Only a few strains have been connected to cervical cancer. Even if you had the right strain, it takes a long long time for dysplasia to turn into cancer (if left untreated). You would easily be able to get pregnant now, have it monitored throughout pregnancy and if further treatments were necessary after the birth, they could be done then.

When I was 20, I was pregnanct with my first and had an abnormal pap come back CIN-I. I had a colposcopy and cryo, and never had a recurrence until now (11 years later). That's how slow growing it is, and that also tells you how treatable it is in pregnancy. Don't let this stop your life right now. Have that baby if you want it. Best of luck to you!!!
Unread 03-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks and Update

Thanks for all your messages. It is so difficult at the beginning of any journey as experience is very lacking and in this case, it seems that many of the 'expert' (various doctors) opinions are confusing. I have started taking folate and am going to the GP tomorrow for a PAP smear as it is 3 months since the colposcopy. At least this will tell my partner and I whether there are still abnormalities or not. Following this we are going to make a decision.

I would also like to thank you all for the messages about how far that CIN I is from cancer as I was confused about whether CIN I meant that the process towards cancer had begun and it was a monitor until surgery is needed or that the process can reverse itself and these cells can disappear. Have I now got it right that CIN I - CIN III are these cells that may but don't necessarily turn to cancerous cells? Is there a different label for cervical cells that are cancer?

Thanks again, I am astounded by the wonderful support on this site and they way in which everyone seems to reach out and try to assist others that come to the site. I was introduced to this site by a coworker that is also a member.
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Cin I

Hi Lee,

Yep, all of this stuff is confusing:confuse:, no doubt about it! But you are right about CINI-CINIII; they are dysplasias or pre-cancers and will sometimes regress spontaneously with no treatment at all.

After the abnormalities progress from pre-cancer to the very earliest stage of cervical cancer, the name would be carcinoma-in situ (or adenocarcinoma in situ) or CIS, followed by stage 1 carcinoma, etc. Good luck to you Lee.

Chicklet

edited to say that there's a nice explanatory website at:
http://www.womenscancercenter.com/in...es/cervix.html

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register