Check your GYN's Post-Op Care policy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Check your GYN's Post-Op Care policy Check your GYN's Post-Op Care policy

Unread 03-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Check your GYN's Post-Op Care policy

I had to go to a new GYN for my TAHBSO vertical incision (I had previously been seeing only a GP and when problems arose was referred to GYN). While my results seem like he was good as a
surgeon, I have been extremely disappointed in his follow-up care. When I have called with problems, he has never called me back - just had his nurse return calls with his instructions. When they have wanted me to come in for additional testing, he has had his GP partner check me... who then had to talk to the GYN and get back to me with appropriate treatments.
When I was in for my 6 week-up check-up, he said that I was not "bouncing back" as well as he thought I should -- but that I didn't need to make any follow-up appointments since everything was healing well. He said he'd look into physical therapy for me and call me back - and I still haven't heard from him - though I've called his office twice.
I never had any issues with him, all of our appointments have been cordial so there's no reason for him to act like this. His office just says how busy he is... but hey, I'm a patient too. It really seems like he's only interested in doing the surgery - and as long as incisions are healing, he doesn't want to be bothered with things like HRT/bladder issues/fatigue.
I am going back to my GP and looking into finding another Dr. but wish I had known this beforehand. I would have found someone who's interested in being my Dr. - not just my surgeon!
Needed to vent and just send out this warning for anyone who's going to a new physician for this major surgery.

TAH BSO - vertical incision for solid ovarian mass and uterine hyperplasia with atypia. Benign pathology report - YEA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 10:16 AM

Having the nurse return phone calls is extremely common in most medical practices, not just surgical, especially where routine issues are concerned. There have been occasions when my gyn's nurse couldn't help me further, so she had the doctor call me.

If you've called twice about physical therapy, and they haven't called back, call them again and tell them this is your third call. What do they have to 'look into" anyway? They are probably just going to give you the name of someone-most likely the referral paperwork for therapy (if your insurance plan requires referrals) would go through your primary care GP anyway, so you that's another option.
Unread 03-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Doctor?

Doctor said you were not "bouncing back" as well as he expected -- but didn't need to see you again? That would worry me a little. More about him than your present condition.

Take care and take it easy. Don't push to do too much if you're not ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 12:50 PM
we must have the same GYN

I'm having similar problems with my GYN. I"ve asked for my hormone levels to be drawn - I'm having problems with major hair loss, heart palpitation,ect. He was cool and said to ask my dermatologist. He had checked the follical stimulating level in Dec. (it was low end of normal for post menapausal women.) I'm 37, had a TAH BSO 10-17-02. It is just not normal for me. Anyway he will not do anymore testing-is grumpy with me- so now I have to find new DR. He certainly was happy to do the surgery. I should have known something was up when i realized the only post op care he intendid on was to take the staples out. I was a little shocked when he said that no internal exam was needed. If I had known this pre op, I would have found another DR. to do the surgery. I felt as if once the surgery was done, he hasn't wanted anything to do with being my DR. I have also found that finding a DR. that know much about HRT's is very hard. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-05-2003, 01:51 PM

I too was pretty unhappy with my surgeon as far as bed side manner. I trusted him completely as a skilled surgeon which is what I felt was more important at the time. However, after he recommended the surgery I went to four other gyny's for 2nd opinions. They all agreed a hyst was necessary to remove a very large cyst and uterus filled with firboids however, one doctor was a woman - who suggested I leave in the one ovary if it is healty- which I did. My surgeon never gave me this option. At 6 wk check up I mentioned I was on nat. progesterone and before even asking me why he said You don't need that! Never explained how I would feel after the surgery or anything. I wanted to switch doctors but he really is a good surgeon. After my 6 month check up he is GONE!!! There are some very compassionist doctors out there. Spend some time and locate one. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register