Still Recovering From Lap | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still Recovering From Lap Still Recovering From Lap

Unread 03-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Still Recovering From Lap

I had lap surgery about two weeks ago to have my ovaries and tubes removed. I am still in considerable pain from the surgery. How long did it take you to feel you had recovered?

I've been trying to get my health back for over a year. Thought the hyst would solve problems....think this lead to the failure and infection of the ovaries and tubes.

I have a constant burning pain in my abdomen. I am taking Vicodin to help, but the pain is still there.

I have my two week check up with my OB/GYN tomorrow and have lots of questions.

Did anyone have a secondary infection after a lap surgery? How did they know, if you did?

Just looking for information or suggestions.

This is so frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 11:03 AM

Dear Kris,

I am glad you are seeing your doc tomorrow. I hope he/she will be able to answer your questions as well as make sure you are healing on schedule. I may be mistaken here...but I believe that considering you had your ovaries and tubes removed, recovery for you could take a few more weeks. My cousin had her ovary removed (approx 1 year after having a hyst) and the dr's told her that recovery could be as long as it was for her hyst., Please make sure you ask your doc this question (if it's not already on your list).

I had just an external infection following my last lap. It was in my belly button incision, and did clear up quickly. That lap was for investigation and removal of Endo. I can tell you that it took a good 3-4 weeks before I felt stronger. I think a lot of that had to do with the anesthesia (sp?) as well as other health problems I have. Please listen to your body and remember your Princess training.

I can empathize with you in in regards to trying to get your health back. I've been on this road for over two years now, and know it is very hard

Please let us know how your appointment goes, and get lots of rest. I'm sure other sisters will be along to share their experiences....

S
Unread 03-05-2003, 08:31 PM

Thanks, Judster.

I guess when the doctor says you should be able to go back to work in 2-3 days, that is just a rough idea. I certainly would not have been in any shape then.

I was off work 6 days, worked 3, off 2, on 1, off 1....the week isn't over, yet.

This week seems to be almost as bad as last week in terms of discomfort. Maybe I just expect too much from this old body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Sorry if I sound like an 'old mother hen' here but....

I am surprised that your doc said you could go back to work so soon. From what I have read/heard from others...the lap you had was almost like having a second hysterectomy (I may be mistaken here).

If you are not up to working...perhaps you can ask your doc for some more time off. I'm worried about you sweetie...

Please keep me updated on how you are feeling. Feel free to e-mail me anytime.

S
Unread 03-06-2003, 09:15 AM

Kris,
We all heal at different rates. One thing I have found is that with each surgery I had it took me longer to heal. I had an exploratory lap in November and the doctor didn't even find anything and it still took me about 6 weeks to fully recover.

As always, whenever you are in doubt about the pain you are feeling you should call your doctor. It is always best to play it safe. You never know when it is something that may not be just normal healing.

Good luck with the doc visit.
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:06 AM

Beadweaver:

I am sorry to hear you are in pain. This is frustrating...

Before the hyst, when my doc was telling me that the ovaries were staying if they were healthy he added that it would be real simple to go back in later and take them out through a lap if necessary. Guess I assumed it would be a take them out on Thursday back to work on Monday sort of thing - like my other laps. But, hey they just removed implants and scar tissue in my other laps and when you think about it - it only makes sense that you'd need awhile to recover from removing ovaries/tubes.

I expected to wake up with no ovaries after the hyst, so I did not give it a whole lot of thought.... I am thinking about it now, though.

Let us know how things go with your doc and getting some more time off to recover.
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:56 AM

I totally understand dear, I had my lap surgery almost 2 weeks ago but I refused to go back to work until by post op visit this time. I made a huge mistake of trying to work very early on after hyst(with the DR's permission). I hope you get this before you go today, if you can financially afford to be off, the DR would probably agree to some more time off for you.

Everyone is different in regards to recovery and I do agree with Kim that the more we put our bodies through I believe it is harder to build up strength as fast. I feel much better pain wise but am still experiencing a lot of post of pain- seems like the incisions and internal stuff are taking turns letting me know where I have been cut Ibuprofen is doing the trick for me and knowing when to listen to my body and rest!

I also had my gall bladder removed this time in and the Surgeon for that said it was wise not to go back as soon as some of his normal patients(I guess that verifies it- I am definitely not normal ) who would be back usually in 1 week.

I don't go back to my GYN until next week for post op from the adhesiolysis(sp?) off of ovary and bowels so I don't have his whole take on this yet.

Please take care dear, I am concerned that you get amble rest so in the long run you will feel so much better. You are sooooo worth it.

Big s,
DLK

BTW: I don't know what your status is at home but once returning to work you might find it necessary and good for you to lay down flat immediately when you get home for at least 30 min. Asking for help at home is a must if you have it. **You not only are adding an 8 hour work day plus commute time to your recoup but if you are like the rest of us ladies you still have a full workload at home unless you speak up for help. My theory is it will be there tomorrow, today I need to heal. Not always less frustrating but does give myself permission to put it off when it is in my best interest
Unread 03-06-2003, 12:51 PM

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the helpful advice and well wishes.

My doctor did write me a note to take more time off from work. She said I should not return before March 17th.

She was not happy with the way I am healing. I have a hard lump below the incision in my belly button that she said could be scar tissue forming and could lead to infection. She has prescribed Cephalexin to help heal and soften this lump.

She also changed the pain medicine to Tylenol/cod #3 after I told her the Vicodin really wasn't that effective and seemed to upset my stomach. I couldn't take it at night because it caused me to have vivd dreams and I didn't seem to sleep deeply enough.

She did admit that she had done more work in the area under the navel and it would take longer than normal to heal.

Guess it's into my PJs and feet up!

Thanks so much for being here for all of us. Friends and family just get burned out trying to be supportive for long periods of time. I know I get tired of hearing me say "I don't feel good".

Bye for now, time for some
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:33 PM

Dear Kris,

I am sorry to hear that your doc is not happy with the way you are healing. I hope and pray the medication will heal and soften the lump.

I am so happy that she wrote you a note to take more time off of work. I only wish that you hadn't returned to work so soon. Oh well...Now it's time to get those pj's on and as much as you possibly can my dear. Drink lots of water, and treat yourself to some good movies, or perhaps that book you've been wanting to read

Keep us updated as to how you are doing. We care about you

I know what you mean about friends and family getting burnt out listening to us...and I agree - I get sick of hearing myself talk about how bad I'm feeling all of the time. Thank God we have this place to come and vent/ask questions/what ever....this forum is such a blessing.

Sending you healing S
Unread 03-07-2003, 06:33 AM

Dear Kris,

I am soooooo glad the DR gave you a note to be off a little longer, recovery is so different time wise depending on what is going on.... a couple of days as first told you just sounded way to early to me. I think DRs should give a little more range so our employers can get an idea ahead of time that it could take longer. I knew from my past experience and all the ladies here that my recovery wasn't going to be as quick as a normal person(whatever that is ) so I guestimated a high number(4 weeks) for my job. I work for a small business so although I am greatly missed they wanted me to make sure I was ready to come back because right now they have a temp covering for me and don't want to lose her until I can work full time.

I am still having a lot of the post op pains but as I said Ibuprofen seems to be doing the trick for me. I am glad your DR is looking out for you. NOW off to bed and get some good !! As frustrating as it is for your family and you, you need rest if they want you to get better faster. I totally understand that sick and tired of being sick and tired feeling though, everyone wants off this road, hopefully once you recoup you are well on your way off!!

Big s
DLK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register