cystocele and rectocele HELP! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cystocele and rectocele HELP! cystocele and rectocele HELP!

Unread 03-07-2003, 09:06 PM
cystocele and rectocele HELP!

Hi Michelle I'm so sorry you're having all this pain and problems

I had my surgery because of a huge, troublesome fibroid and to repair a stage 3 rectocele. In my case, the rectocele was easily diagnosed during an internal exam and was the last straw that finally made me decide for a hyst: enough was enough.

I remember that sitting for any time at all was very uncomfortable: like sitting on a fence. So was walking: felt like something was falling out. My wonderful gyn also cautionned me against lifting and straining, since it could worsen the rectocele. This meant that I had to ensure that my stools were as soft and regular as possible: not easy to achieve when you also suffer from IBS!!!

((((Michelle)))) While the surgery wasn't pleasant, I'm glad I got it done since it solved this problems.

I think that looking for a new doctor is a good idea, since your doctor practically told you to start looking I think that your best strategy would be to find a uro-gyn in your area, since they specialize in both urology and gynecology.

BTW, your doctor may have left the rectocele because it hadn't been mentionned to him and he might have needed a signed release to proceed. I know that, when my doctor decided to attempt a TVH instead of the TAH, I had to ammend my release to state that the surgery would be performed either way.

Sending lots of your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2003, 08:45 AM

Yep ! I have thought the same thing about him not knowing about the rectocele until he actually saw it in the OR but if they would have listened to me and my symptoms It really should have been known about then I am not sure why it is not able to be seen (rectocele) during an internal exam. it hangs down most of the other time. anyway I guess that is all water under the bridge now, yesterday in the car all day and not being able to have a bm has made this morning miserable. I'm finding a new Dr on monday.

Thanks
Michele
Unread 03-08-2003, 12:33 PM

((((Michelle))))) From what I've read, in some cases, when you are examined lying down the rectocele might not be detectable because it kind of settles back into place (I know: very simplistic way of describing what actually happens... I'm sure someone can describe it in much more medical terms ) In some cases, the sisters had to ask for a "standing" exam in order to have the rectocele diagnosed.

Sometimes, it's hard for doctors to address all of the issues when we have so much going on all at once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2003, 01:16 PM
More ???

Oh I do agree with that but he still did not even see me until I got to the OR. I just do not think that is very good pratice on his part. This whole time he just keeps telling me I have never had a complication like this for such a long time (he was then talking about the hole in the cuff and infection) Now for him to tell me it would not hurt HIS feelings if I chose another doctor to repair the rectocele and cystocele I guess I feel a bit let down.
Like I said I am trying to get over all that and concentrate on getting the other corrected.

How long have you who have had rectocele discovered after hyst have surgery? I am wondering how long I can deal with this.

I am not going right I wsed to go everyday like clock work. Now every two days or even three. I whave been taking fiber Con for about a week and really watching what I eat Seems like every thing that I eat I think How will this be comming back out.

You guys really are GREAT

Thanks so much

Michele
Unread 03-09-2003, 11:04 AM

I developed a rectocele at 6 weeks post op from a TAH. I was so bummed because my recovery went so well!

I have lived with it since October 1st-- yes I know the date, hour, minute, it "fell."

I don't think I can wait much longer to get it repaired. I am a teacher and am hoping for a May or June surgery date. Some days I am sooo uncomfortable!!

Take care, CJ
Unread 03-10-2003, 05:20 AM
doctor

Thanks CJ What Kind of Dr Is going to do surgery?
I Have been looking for a uro-gyn but there doesn't seem to be one in my area.
I still need to make a few calls.

Any one on FL gulf coast that knows of one?

Michele
Unread 03-15-2003, 01:44 PM

Hi Ladies......

I had my surgery in Sept....TVH/BSO with cystocele and rectocele repair. My rectocele was a grade 4 and that is what prompted my surgery.....BUT after removing everything.....my rectocele is still NOT comfortable ......I told the doctor right away....then at post op checks.....all the way up until 2 months ago at a checkup. I even had another dr check the repair, and they said it looked good........THEN why do I feel a bulge and have difficulty moving my bowels.

The rectocele is definetly better, because it does NOT protrude behind my vagina (they sewed that part up tight), but I still feel a bulge ........

I am calling my obgyn again on Monday, to see what my next step is....but I am wondering IF I should Just live with it?.......seems like OBgyn can't do anything more, and he is very reputable dr. DO I have to see a colorectal surgeon???....and WHAT if they make it worse??????

Any suggestions ladies?????

Thankyou,
Debbie
Unread 03-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Oh !

Blue jean I am sory that you are going through this after your surgery.

I see a new dr on Wednesday morning I am looking foward to seeing what he has to say. I have thought a lot about what I want to do and My husband and I have talked and talked about it. I had wanted to try to pt off the surgery untill the summer because of many issues but I am not too sure that I can. I am always in discomfort and by the end of the day I can't sit because of my bottom hurting so bad, and the spasm in the uthera and bladder are driving me crazy. So what ever the dr says we are going to go with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register