Has anyone else had severe back pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else had severe back pain Has anyone else had severe back pain

Unread 03-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Has anyone else had severe back pain

since your surgery? Mine was two weeks ago and my back hurst worse than anything else. I wake up in the middle of the night and it hurts down low and then I can't stand for more than a few minutes without it hurting a lot. I went to town today for the first time with my 4 year old. I went to one store and I was leaning on the shopping cart after about 10 mins. tops. The doctor said he gets a lot of people complining about that but they haven't found any correlation. Whcich doesn't make any sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 10:56 PM

Yes, I had very bad backache with my surgery. That was the first thing I felt when I woke up in my room... I grabbed for my back as it hurt so bad. They were giving me shots of demerol for the pain. Had I not had all that back pain I don't think I would have had very much pain. My back pain lasted about 2 weeks and then just one day I woke up and it was gone. I also told my Dr. lol But, he really didn't say much cause I also had a lot of pain in my hip. Which he said what that could have been from but of course I don't remember what he said.... But, I only had pain on my one side.

angie
Unread 03-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Thats what I'm talking about...

When I first woke up, I was suppose to have a vaginal and they got my uterus out but found one of my tubes and ovary embedded in my colon, so the first thing I feel when I wake up is incredible back pain. I said, he cut my tummy open didn't he, whcih he had. But when I complained of the back pain they said and still do say, well thats cause you were laying on the table. Come on it was only a couple of hours. I lay on my bed for 10 hours sometimes. I hope you are right about it just disappearing. SOON! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 11:13 PM

I had a TVH, but I do remember waking up in my room and my back hurt incredibly. And then my Dr removed the packing the next morning, the back pain was gone. But I did have some back aching at home also. It could of been due to being laying so much and not up and doing things. Are you up doing alot of walking or things that a newly crowned princess shouldn't be doing? If it doesn't let up, give your Dr's office a call and talk to them again about it as it hasn't gone away.
Unread 03-06-2003, 12:03 AM

My back hurt the most too. I was expecting pain, but not there. And when I was in the hospital they gave me toredol shots in my backside. When I told my doc that my back was hurting the most, he didn't really give me much information other than that's where some of the stitching is. The backache is getting better now though. I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op. SO looking forward to better days and no periods.
Unread 03-06-2003, 05:13 AM
back pain

Yes! Yes! Yes!

My surgery was over 2 weeks ago, and my back is hurting more and more. I was sure it was from not using any stomach muscles, but it hurts even after a whole night sleep.

Anyone know the cause? I thought I saw something on this list about back pain, and someone even said hers lasted 5 weeks!

What can be done for it?

Esther
Unread 03-06-2003, 07:16 AM

Dear redriding hood,

Back pain is a common complaint here, so you're not alone. However, since you feel yours is severe, I would recommend you call your doctor: I don't know the details of your surgery, or whether you had any repair work done, but it sounds like at least a phone call is in order.

I have read here that some back pain results from the unusual, relaxed position patients are in on the OR table. Also, your bowels were probably handled and moved around and might be repositioning themselves inside. And the vagina has been sutured to the ligaments, which might also cause some discomfort at first. Also, your abdominals are likely weak or you may be avoiding using them, and that too can cause back pain.

So...I wouldn't panic about it, but I would call your doc to see if he/she has other explanations!

good luck!
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Yes I had (have) back pain too

Hi Redridinghood!
My back pain started at about 1 1/2 weeks into recovery, and yes, it was worse in the early morning while I was lying in bed. I've had lots of early morning wake ups in the last week. Talked to my Dr. about it at my 2 week Check-up and she told me that it was normal and caused from my surgery. She also said it was an idicator that I was doing too much. Since I had a TVH I've started doing modified sit ups stretching out my back(leg to chest, etc) and it seems to have helped somewhat. I compare it to referred pain like when you have back labor, if you've ever had that lovely experience. The pain has gotten better in the last few days. Good luck and hope it gets better soon.
:
Shel Liz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register