Urethra please help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urethra please help? Urethra please help?

Unread 03-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Urethra please help?

I have already posted this question but I only got one reply.

I am hoping seriously that I will get more now. I am more than a bit nervous.

My urethra appears to be right in the entrance to my vagina.

Is this a normal outcome?

I cannot see inside my vagina yet as I suspect there is still a lot of swelling but my urethra appears to be inside the entrance to my vagina.

It would definitely be rubbed during intercourse.

The only reply I had to my query was that it is most probably appears to be inside due to swelling but I am not so sure.

Please can anyone tell me whether they can see there urethra or could see it after 3 weeks post op?

Please I am in quite a bit of discomfort and I really would appreciate your help.

My doctor has said not to call him before 6 weeks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Urethra please help?

Hi,

As far as I can remember I did not have this problem even directly after the surgery. Perhaps some other sisters will come on later and provide you with a better response. Just want to say that I am so sorry to hear that you are having this problem soon after the surgery.

I am rather surprised that your doctor said NOT to call him until 6 weeks???!!!! I did remember my dr telling me to come back and see him if I have any problems at all between being discharged and the 6 th weeks appointment....

Please do insist on seeing your doctor if you do not feel comfortable about whatever that is happening with your body in relation to your surgery. If you did not get many responses here, I would think that it is because not many sisters have had this problem before, so whatever it is, it may NOT be a normal condition.... so call your dr. even though if its a false alarm, as long as it brings you a peace of mind...

Take care
hongwah
Unread 03-06-2003, 08:06 AM
Urethra please help?

{{{{{{{Pla}}}}}} I agree with hongwah! If it does not feel or seem right to you down there, I would call your doctor. Just the fact that you posted about this same problem twice, tells me you are more than just a bit concerned. It definitely needs to be checked out. Call him hun and insist he see you even if it is only to give you peace of mind. I wish you luck.....please let us know what happens.

Emily s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Urethra please help?

Pla, Here's some good news for you - you're not the only one! Mine's been there for a long time, and I know this will sound like I'm really ignorant, but I'm not even sure how long it has been, but best guess is for at least 18 years!!! From what little I've read, the medical term is urethrocele and it can be left untreated if it causes no trouble.

It is certainly worth letting your doctor know. Obviously you won't know until after you're able to resume sex if it will be a problem for you or not. Let me know what your doctor says, okay?
Unread 03-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Don't call????

Huh. What a guy. So maybe you don't want to call THAT but if it were me I would go see my family doctor because he knows me and I can ask him questions that feel a little embarrassing. If you haven't received enough reassurance here, I hope you have a doctor you don't feel stupid with who can answer your question.

Sorry you didn't get the support you needed last time around.

Joselle
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Urethra please help?

That doctor gets the jerk award.... Don't call him until 6 weeks? I'd probably never call him again! What if you had shown signs of infection? What about pain management? I just don't get this... is there someone else he told you to call?

My doc always tells me to call him if I need him or call him and let him know how I am doing - depending on the situation. You deserve that kindness as well in your doctor - we all do!

Well here's a Please call a doctor and I hope you get the support and answers you seek!!
Unread 03-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Urethra please help?

I must admit that if it wasnt for this website and the nurses in hospital, I would have mismanaged my whole recuperation.

Yes I am afraid I did hit a jerk. He told me not to call him for pain, infectious discharges and or anything else besides gushing blood. He did not mention that I should call my doctor either.

I queried the infection and I said do you mean that if I have a serious discharge like a huge cold down there I am to leave it even if it is puss like?

He said yes the body heals itself... (try telling that to my grandmother who died from sepsis after childbirth!!)

I did put up with a bit of discharge but the pain got bad so I went to my own GP. He prescribed an antibiotic. Discharge gone and I can wear panties. Pain bearable now.

I have found the doctors here to be very casual about patients. Unfortunately I am not rich not famous and their treatment shows.

I have read how much it costs you to get an op in America and it is about 4x the cost here in Australia, so I wonder if this is the result. Doctors who are overworked and underpaid and who do not care.

He told me to do whatever I like with only one or two provisos ...
(no sex, no weight lifting, no swimming in pools or spas) he even said that I could move a wardrobe on a one off basis and it shouldn't do much harm. He said that information such as the stuff I have seen on this website was old wives tales. (I tested him with a few questions).

I was very interested in the fact that he checked me out and gave me these instructions without witnesses being present.

I spoke to the nurse afterwards and told her what he had said. She made sure that she wrote up my chart to reflect that I was to get lots of rest and not to pick up heavy objects etc.

The nurse contradicted his recommendation and made it very clear to me that women who do too much too soon often come back for follow up surgery.

I can see he created a small new me down there I look like I did as a child. (Obviously his fantasy not mine, I am a woman darn it all, not a virgin. I bore my former big labia with pride... I got them through age and child bearing) He has sown me up tight. He did warn me before the op that the entrance to the vagina would have to be stretched by me to increase the size.

In fact I have just had another good look. I think I can see what he has done. He has sewn me up so tight that my original entrance to my vagina is hidden behind the sewn up labia. So it might only look like I am looking into a vagina. What I am looking at is really just my normal urethra position which seems to be the vagina, while the vagina is behind sewn up labia... No wonder I am so neat. Darn I heard that certain tribes in Africa do this on young girls, never thought it would happen to me. Did he do this for my husband's sake?? He was happy with me before? I was tight enough as it is... sigh... so many questions.

Boy is sex going to be painful until it is stretched.

Ok enough venting but thanks for listening.

Paula
Unread 03-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Urethra please help?

Paula,

My doctor is just a very caring, sweet person who would care about his patients whether or not he was over or underpaid.

In America, our doctors are netting a lot less money due to soaring malpractice premiums and the need to contract with insurance companies for set fees. It's not what it used to be financially for them.

Just among my own family doctors I have had 2 in 3 years leave private practice to do something else. One has moved out of state to be chief resident at a teaching hospital and one is now the Administrator of our County Health office.

So, I am not going to let your doctor off on the "underpaid" excuse. However, I am glad your GP is helping your out.

I really still wonder about this sewing you up thing. Did you have other repair work in addition to the hyst?

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing! We do care and are hoping you will receive better care in the future from your doctors!
Unread 03-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Urethra please help?

Pla,

JMHO, but I would RUN (not walk) to another Gyn and make sure that you are thoroughly checked out. The guy that did your surgery sounds like a real celf-centered jerk. If he is sooo over-worked and under-paid that he can't give sound medical care then he needs to find another profession. I simply can not believe he told you not to call him for 6 weeks! You deserve competent, attentive medical care. Good luck!
Unread 03-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Urethra please help?

Dear Pla,

Your doctor's behavior certainly does sound callous! Have you considered asking for copies of the surgery report and pathology report and going to another doctor just to get checked out? I would recommend you do so, especially if he has sewn you up in some way that you weren't expecting! All I can think of is that perhaps he did some other kind of repair, but I don't see why he wouldn't have explained that to you.

I hope you get some satisfaction and answers soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register