Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence

Unread 03-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Hysterectomy w/cervic removal and uringary frequency or incontinence

THANK YOU, cmcm! Such an obvious question I never even thought of!

You said:
Be sure to ask the surgeon about his particular incidence of bladder injuries. This is
a matter of skill--my surgeon for instance has never nicked a bladder. That was
reassuring to hear.

Gads, I can see that this is all going to be a big "hairy ape deal" trying to coordinate two or three surgeons and an anesthesiologist! It will probably take them a YEAR to get me scheduled. The anesthesiologist is another of my worries. I have this "thing" about anesthesia. Our hospital policy has an anesthesiologist "call" you before your surgery. I don't know how soon before. And I don't WANT a phone call. I "want" to talk to him/her face to face. I'll pay for the darn office call myself! I can tell you right now that I would freak out big time and never make it to the hospital if I didn't have a chance to talk to the anesthesiologist until the morning of surgery.

My other surgeries I was hospitalized prior to surgery. I'm not at all sure that I will be able to actually go in to the hospital the morning of. Short of my husband hog-tieing me. And at that he might be risking his life to do so! Weak smile.

You know, it is one thing to let common sense be your guide and an entirely different thing when your "kinks" start cropping to the fore. All you gals here at hystersisters are sure a big help. At least when it comes to making cool headed, informed decisions. Come the morning of surgery ..... or even the night before ..... I know what a basket case I was the night before my 3 previous surgeries and I was hospitalized and the staff and doctors were on top of things - especially after putting up w/me the night before my first surgery!!! Talk about PANICSVILLE! And I was no better w/the second & third surgery. Its not the surgery - its not knowing what is going on, having no say in any last minute decisions ... someone else having the final say over my body and what is done to it.

Gads! Even a colonoscopy ... until I FINALLY convinced my gastro no sedation and no anesthesia. Now they are a breeze. All I have is Demerol and we do great. Outside of my mumbling and grumbling about the bowel cleansing. Wicked grin.

Now - if they could put me to sleep and out of it the night before surgery then wake me up for the surgery itself ..... I should be so lucky! I'm sure you gals will help me get thru it. Bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2003, 09:17 AM

((CrohnieToo)),
Of course we'll be here to help you thru I had found this great list of things to ask your Surgeon before surgery that I wanted to share with you:

Quote:
Questions To Ask Your Doctor Before You Have Surgery:

Are you facing surgery? You are not alone. Millions of Americans have surgery each year. Most operations are not emergencies. This means you have time to ask your surgeon questions about the operation and time to decide whether to have it, and if so, when and where. The information presented here does not apply to emergency surgery.

The most important questions to ask about elective surgery are why the procedure is necessary for you and what alternatives there are to surgery. If you do not need to have the operation, then you can avoid any risks that might result. All surgeries and alternative treatments have risks and benefits. They are only worth doing if the benefits are greater than the risks.

Your primary care doctor, that is, your regular doctor, may be the one who suggests that you have surgery and may recommend a surgeon. You may want to identify another independent surgeon to get a second opinion. Check to see if your health insurance will pay for the operation and the second opinion. If you are eligible for Medicare, it will pay for a second opinion. You should discuss your insurance questions with your health insurance company or your employee benefits office.

Following are 12 questions to ask your primary care doctor and surgeon before you have surgery, and the reasons for asking them. The answers to these questions will help you be informed and help you make the best decision. Sources are listed at the end of these questions to help you get more information from other places.

Your doctors should welcome questions. If you do not understand the answers, ask the doctors to explain them clearly. Patients who are well informed about their treatment tend to be more satisfied with the outcome or results of their treatment.

What operation are you recommending?
Why do I need the operation?
Are there alternatives to surgery?
What are the benefits of having the operation?
What are the risks of having the operation?
What if I don't have this operation?
Where can I get a second opinion?
What has been your experience in doing the operation?
Where will the operation be done?
What kind of anesthesia will I need?
How long will it take me to recover?
How much will the operation cost? Surgeons' Qualifications
I have researched Anesthesia a lot because of a personal experience that happened to my ((Mom)) Tips on insuring safety ect...here is some info I found that might be comforting & helpful to you w/ your concerns:
  Quote:

What are the side effects of general anesthesia?

Minor side effects from general anesthesia and surgery are common. These include nausea, sore throat, headache, muscle aches, or a generalized "hang-over" type feeling. Fortunately these are most often not serious and resolve on their own in hours or a few days after surgery. Rarely these side effects are severe enough to require specific treatment or possibly further hospitalization.

Can I drive home after my surgery?

No. Even though many patients will feel quite awake and unaffected by the anesthetics after the surgery, the bodies reflexes will continue to be influenced for a minimum or 24 hours. Therefore it is mandatory the patient not drive or operate heavy machinery for a minimum of 24 hours.

The person may need to stay in the hospital for a few days to recover from the procedure. Often the person can go home after a few hours. The person must be stable and feel well enough to go home, and someone must be available to drive the person home. The medications cause coordination problems and slowed reflexes for several hours after surgery. What happens later at home?After getting home, the person should rest for the remainder of the day. By the next day, the anesthesia is usually out of the system. The following day, the pain from the surgery usually causes more problems than the anesthesia. A person should not drive for at least 12 hours after the procedure. Some people may take a few days to feel that they are back to normal.

http://health.discovery.com/diseases...edia/2947.html

Patients who have had general anesthesia should not drink alcoholic beverages or take medicines that slow down the central nervous system (such as antihistamines , sedatives, tranquilizers, sleep aids, certain pain medicines, muscle relaxants , and anti-seizure medicines) for at least 24 hours, except under a doctor's care.

Side effectsBecause general anesthetics affect the central nervous system, patients may feel drowsy, weak, or tired for as long as a few days after having general anesthesia. Fuzzy thinking, blurred vision, and coordination problems are also possible. For these reasons, anyone who has had general anesthesia should not drive, operate machinery, or perform other activities that could endanger themselves or others for at least 24 hours, or longer if necessary.Most side effects go away as the anesthetic wears off. Check with a nurse or doctor if these or other side effects continue or cause problems:
•__Headache •__Vision problems, including blurred or double vision •__Shivering or trembling •__Muscle pain •__Dizziness , lightheadedness, or faintness •__Drowsiness •__Mood or mental changes •__Nausea or vomiting •__Sore throat •__Nightmares or unusual dreams.
A doctor should be notified as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur within two weeks of having general anesthesia:
•__Severe headache •__Pain in the stomach or abdomen •__Back or leg pain •__Severe nausea •__Black or bloody vomit •__Unusual tiredness or weakness •__Weakness in the wrist and fingers •__Weight loss or loss of appetite •__Increase or decrease in amount of urine •__Pale skin •__Yellow eyes or skin.

Risks from general anesthesia include:
After the anesthesia, you may have nausea and vomiting, sore throat, and muscle pain.
You may have low blood pressure.
You may have stress on the heart.
You may have an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).
In rare cases, you may have a heart attack, stroke, or brain damage, which could result in death. The probability of the above risks is low, although serious injury can result. Because general anesthesia affects all areas of your body, such as the heart and lungs, side effects are more common than with local or regional anesthetics. Local and regional anesthesia are considered safer than general anesthesia. However, most side effects from general anesthesia do not last long and are easily relieved by the anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist who stays with you throughout the operation.

In general, for 24 hours after your anesthesia:
Do not drink alcohol or use nonprescription medications.
Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery.
Do not make important decisions.
You will be given telephone numbers to call if you have any concerns or if you need emergency help after you go home.
Recovery at home
What can I expect?
Be prepared to go home and finish your recovery there. Patients often experience drowsiness and minor after-effects following ambulatory anesthesia, including muscle aches, a sore throat and occasional dizziness or headaches. Nausea may also be present, but vomiting is less common. These side effects usually decline rapidly in the hours following surgery, but it may take several days before they are gone completely. The majority of patients do not feel up to their typical activities the next day, usually due to general tiredness or surgical discomfort. Plan to take it easy for a few days until you feel back to normal. Know that a period of recovery at home is common and to be expected

**At the conclusion of surgery, anesthesiologists reverse the effects of the anesthetic medications, and return the patient to consciousness once again

It is extremely important that you arrange for a responsible adult to take you home from the ambulatory surgical center because your coordination and various reflexes may be impaired for at least 24 hours making normal activities, such as driving, difficult.
If after your surgery you do not feel well or experience pain, tell the nurses or anesthesiologist in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit so they can determine how best to help you. You shouldn't be reluctant to tell them how you feel or ask any questions you may have. You will not be released to go home until you have recovered sufficiently from the anesthesia.Occasionally, some patients need additional care or experience difficulties following surgery and may need to be observed or treated in the hospital over night until they are well enough to go home.

The medications that you have been given can remain in your body for up to 24 hours after their administration. You are not completely "back to your old self" until the anesthetic has been totally eliminated.Also during this time, it is still possible for substances entering your body to interact with the anesthetic. Certain substances may cause negative reactions. Therefore, check with your care provider about what medications you can take. Continue to cooperate with your nurse anesthetist and physician after surgery.
Don't hesitate to ask questions.

"Don'ts" After Anesthesia:
After receiving anesthesia during a surgical procedure, you can play an active role in your recovery by heeding the straightforward list of do's and don'ts that follows.
Don't drive a car for at least 24 hours.
After anesthesia, your reactions and judgment may be impaired. Such impairment makes driving a car dangerous to you and to others. It is especially important that you don't forget to make arrangements for someone else to drive you home from the health care facility.Don't operate complex equipment for at least 24 hours. The same logic that applies to driving a car similarly applies to the operation of other equipment. This includes equipment used at home, such as a lawnmower, as well as that which is used on the job, such as a forklift truck. Don't make any important decisions or sign any legal documents for the day.
The potential for impairment relates not only to physical activities but to your mental state also. Moreover, the anxiety that frequently accompanies important decisions is to be avoided. The day should be spent resting. Don't take any medications unless prescribed by or discussed with your physician.
Some medications may adversely interact with anesthetic drugs or chemicals remaining in your body. Included are prescription drugs, such as sleeping pills or tranquilizers, and over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin. Don't drink alcohol for at least 24 hours.
Alcohol is also considered a drug, meaning that an alcoholic drink has the potential to negatively react with the anesthetic in your system. This includes hard liquor, beer, and wine.

Do leave the health care facility accompanied by a responsible adult. This person will ensure that you travel home safely, as well as provide immediate care at home. You should continue to have this adult with you for 24 hours after surgery. Do remain quietly at home for the day and rest. You need rest both because you have received anesthesia and because you have undergone a surgical procedure -- even one that is considered minor. If, after a day, you still do not feel recovered, you may want to continue your rest for an additional day or two. Discuss your planned return to work with your physician. Do arrange for someone to care for your small children for the day. Even if given instructions to play peacefully and not overtax you, children sometimes forget such directions or have trouble staying quiet for an entire day. The most predictable course of action is to leave small children and babies in the care of another responsible individual. Do take liquids first and slowly progress to a light meal. Heavy foods can be difficult for your system to digest, thereby increasing the chance for discomfort. For your nourishment, start by taking liquids, then eat light foods, such as broth or soup, crackers or toast, plain rice, Jell-O, and yogurt. Do call your nurse anesthetist, your physician, or the facility where you were treated if you have any questions. These professionals are interested in your welfare and want your care to go as planned. If you have questions, or feel your recovery is not progressing to your satisfaction, call them.
Remember:
Communication and cooperation are essential to the anesthesia process. Active participation in your care helps ensure your safety and comfort.

Post-Op Hints and Helps:
Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

Urinary Tract Injuries During LAVH:
http://www.wdxcyber.com/nurine03.htm

American Society of Regional Anesthesia:
http://www.asra.com/

Patient Education Materials:
http://patienteducation.upmc.com/

http://www.patientsguide.com/

Pre-Op Hints and Helps:
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Virtual Anaesthesia Textbook:
http://www.virtual-anaesthesia-textbook.com/

Quote:
It will probably take them a YEAR to get me
scheduled
With all this info I posted it might just take that long
to trudge thru it all

big (((((hugs)))))
Unread 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM

Thank you again, Sheri,

I was up half the night just going thru the first list you gave me: cutting and pasting what most interested me. I already have a pretty big file. I'm only a few URLs down the second list you posted for me. Now this one. Ah well, everyone is gone today so I can spend the day checking out the URLs.

I"m not worried about post-surgery - unless they screw up somehow. I've breezed thru recovery from the first three. Just get me up and walking those boring hospital hallways!

This pre-op, anesthesia things are the hurdles for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
This pre-op, anesthesia things are the hurdles for me

Pls know lots of good thots & prayers are being sent your way
Unread 03-10-2003, 07:48 AM

Of course, I haven't been thru all the URLs you've given me/us yet, Sheri, have been just checking out those that looked most promising first.

So far have only found one that is either outdated or just a problem for my computer system.

Before You Have A Hysterectomy:
http://womenshealth.miningco.com/cs...ysterectomy.htm

I've had problems with the miningco.com URL before so it may be my system. A miningco page comes up and then it pops to a page w/a 404 error message and locks up my browser so that I have to exit the browser. Am finding some very good and helpful info at other URLs tho. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register