Karenann and Deliz get to meet...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Karenann and Deliz get to meet...... Karenann and Deliz get to meet......

Unread 03-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Karenann and Deliz get to meet......

s

I just had the priviledge to attend the Ovarian Cancer Natl Alliance's advocacy training course in Washington DC.
And lo and behold there is CC's Deliz (Diane) in attendance as well!!!! What a thrill to meet an old CC friend in person.
Plus, Diane is as pretty outside as in. We had a digital picture taken together, and if I can figure out how......
Most of the sessions took place at the Natl Institute of Health, where we learned what is happening in regards to ovarian cancer at NIH, CDC and the DOD. (yes, the department of defense is a great supporter of ovarian cancer research)
One day we spent on Capitol Hill visiting the offices of our Senators and Representatives to urge their support on certain pieces of legislature.
It was quite an interesting experience.
And the ovarian cancer voice is truly starting to be heard loud and clear.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2003, 04:07 PM

(((Karen)))

I'm so glad your trip went well. I was wondering when you might be back! How exciting to get to meet Deliz!

I hope you learned all kinds of wonderful things that will help us in our fight against ovarian cancer.

Thanks for letting us know about your trip. Good to have you back!
Unread 03-09-2003, 05:03 PM
That's Neat.

What also is great is that our voices are being heard. I feel we've been overlooked. Karenann, keep us updated on any legislation that will affect OC funding and we can contact our Senators and Reps and let them know how we feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2003, 01:47 PM

Hi Ellen

www.congress.gov will take you to a site where all of our senators and representatives have contact info.

Currently Sen Jack Reed (D RI) is sponsoring The Improving Women's Survival from Ovarian Cancer Act of 2003. It would establish a permanent ovarian cancer program at the CDC. The program focuses on all areas of ovarian cancer from research to education.

Federal funding for the DoD budget was cut from twelve to ten million dollars this year. We need to request another sharp increase for 2004. The Dept of Defense actually funds the most innovative of ovarian researchers. The DoD received proposals from individuals with ideas to the tune of $37 million. Unfortunately $27 million of these research ideas are now free floating. For all we know, a cure could have been lost!!! I won't bother to share with you what Congress gives the DoD for breast and prostate cancer research. We were instucted to deal in a positive way only.

Also Resolution 385, which was spoken about last year on the ovarian cancer discussion list, went through the House of Representatives and then died quietly in the Senate. It will be reintroduced by Rep Steve Israel and hopefully pass through the House again. Then we must work on our Senators to pass it. This resolution pertains to the early warning blood test.

I promise to keep you updated as more info comes out.

karenann
Unread 03-10-2003, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the site, Karen. I had been planning to contact my Congressman to suggest legislation to address the 128% increase in the death rate from endometrial cancer which the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists reported in September 2001. Apparently, at least in part due to 9-11, this news item was lost in the aftermath of that horrific tragedy. Although I hear many women on this site and elsewhere express the opinions stated by their physicians that endometrial cancer is a "good cancer," I wonder outloud why if that is the case the death rate has so dramatically increased over the past 15 years. I know my recent letter to the President of the American Cancer Society has not been satisfactorily answered to date. Although I am planning further followup with the ACS, I intend to purse other avenues to deal with this very serious issue.

MoeKay
Unread 03-10-2003, 03:37 PM

Glad to be of help Moe.
Endometrial doesn't have much out there in the way of advocacy.
You should also check out the sites for the Natl Insitute of Health and Centers for Disease Control. They will update you on whatever is happening in the endometrial area.
oxoxkarenann
Unread 03-10-2003, 10:02 PM

{{Karen}}

Your trip sounds so exciting, to meet Diane as well as go to Advocacy course. I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Its so wonderful to hear that there is more attention being paid to Ovarian Cancer, its about dang time! I'm so glad you're in the midst of things and can be a voice for us all.

Thanks for sharing this with us, you're doing an amazing thing!!!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register