I am only 30, but think I'm ready | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am only 30, but think I'm ready I am only 30, but think I'm ready

Unread 03-10-2003, 08:41 AM
I am only 30, but think I'm ready

First I want to start by saying thank-you to all of you princesses that write on this site. I found out a week ago today that I need a TAH. My doctor told me about this site and I got onto it right away. Since then, I have just been reading, reading, and reading. I read at least 2 hours a day. My DH keeps saying, "are you still on that same site?" I say "Yep!" "I Love It!" I keep thinking what would I do without this site. I am scheduled on 4-17 for my TAH. I only have one ovary left, and the DR said that should have been taken out 3 yrs. ago, so I guess that will go to. I guess one of my questions is about HRT. Also, with the TAH will he take out my cervix to? I don't have my pre-op appt. scheduled yet, I will ask him all of these questions then. Although I feel I'm to young for this, I do think I'm ready. In fact if they would have told me I could come in today, I would have went. I had a terrible day yesterday. Now it is just the waiting. Now that I know it needs to be done, I just want to get it done ASAP. As all you princesses say, it's the waiting that is the hardest. Well, I just want to say thank-you again. I love you all!

Shearchic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2003, 09:16 AM

Hi

I'm so glad you're finding this site so helpful. Click Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles for pre op info. There is a list of questions to ask at your pre op apt, as well as a lot of other hints.

Quote:
with the TAH will he take out my cervix
A TAH is the removal of the "TOTAL" uterus, which includes the cervix - it is part of the uterus. It is possible to have a partial hyst or SAH, which means only part of the uterus is removed, the cervix is left.
Unread 03-10-2003, 10:34 AM

Shearchic,

When I first learned I had to have a TAH/BSO, I made up a list of questions to ask my . He was great answering everything...and then I found this site and saw all the questions I hadn't thought to ask him! There's so much to think of. I browsed the boards for a long,long time and I was Sooooo ready by the time my date came around.

Keep your upbeat attitude, Shearchic..It'll help you every step of the way!!

HollyG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2003, 06:33 PM

Thank you for replying. I will check out the pre-op list and also make a list of questions for my DR. You guys are great1

Val
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Hang in there!!!

Shearchic,

I can tell you that I am now 8 weeks post-op as of March 12. I was ready to get back to work after 4 weeks. But the hardest thing for me was the waiting to get it done. If you work, I'd suggest taking the day before off, as you will be rather nervous.

The pain after surgery is a little much, I had a TAH, but got to keep the ovaries. I am only 34, with no children, but I had cervical cancer so they didnt' keep the cervix. My guess is that they will take the cervix out. I mean, why keep it? It's just another thing to worry about after you've gone thru so much already. I found that the incision hurt for the first 2 days, but you are so wasted on morphine that you dont' notice much, and thank god for those cathedars, cuz peeing is not the easiest thing to do the first few days.

As soon as I could though, they changed my medication to pill form for pain management and I got up and did little walks around the ward, it sure makes a difference. Then when I got home, I used a heating pad on my stomach, it was the only thing that gave me comfort. Make sure you bring your long list of questions to the doc when you see him again. I did that and it sure puts your mind at ease. I'd say the hardest thing for me thru this whole thing is the waiting and then being at home recuperating is boring - I am sick of TV and those reality shows!!! So make sure you've got lots of videos to rent, stay away from daytime TV - it's depressing and do something nice for yourself, like have baths and listen to relaxing music and resting. For me, I kept myself preoccupied with not eating any processed foods, avoiding all sugar and salt and drinking plenty of water - I can truly say that this method allowed me to recover quickly and move on with bigger and better things in life - and more fun too!!

Good luck, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Nicole
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:51 PM

Hi! Glad you found this site. I, like you, began just reading and reading. I am 32 and will have my surgery sometime at the end of May or first of June. I think that you know when you are ready. You just get to a point when you say that you want your life back.

Good luck to you and God Bless!

crickett283

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register