I don't want to do this, why can't they leave me alone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I don't want to do this,  why can't they leave me alone? I don't want to do this, why can't they leave me alone?

Unread 03-10-2003, 02:26 PM
I don't want to do this, why can't they leave me alone?

I went to my Gp today, and he feels "uncomfortable" with what my pain management Dr is doing(oh, found out they used to rent office space together and now there is a rift between them, that really helps!). It make it hard to know what to do, I've had three CT scans, lots of surgeon appt.(that my GP referred me to) and on and on, and told my GP what the people HE sent me to said...it's adhesions and no one wants to touch me. I get the feeling this is really between he and my pm Dr. on a personal level! Now my pm Dr. wants me to do a colonoscopy....I'm sick of this! I'm tired of being poked, prodded, and interrogated about my body! I'm sorry to vent, but I feel like this is out of control...I've got two little ones to take care of, one just got over strep, the other now has bronchitis, and DH was sick ALL last week with a nasty intestinal bug. I just want to go to my pm Dr. and "live", as I finally am able. Even my GP said, well since the pain is constant it probably is not related to the colon(diverticuli, etc) but it's a non-ivasive way to make sure. I've had 3 CT scans...don't have ANY bowel trouble at all, no fevers and am just 38...so why do I have to go through yet another test? I can't do it anymore, I really can't. I truly feel my two Dr's are at odds....now I'm in the middle and don't want to be . PLEASE help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love to all, from a sad sister...Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
oops.

It's my GP not pm Dr. that wants the test. Sorry!
Unread 03-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Hi Cathy I hear ya about the constant poking and prodding and tests, it sure gets to be a bit much, doesn't it?

However, I also agree with your DR that the colonoscopy is a non-invasive way to get information... way easier and less unpleasant than some of its alternatives. They can get more info with a colonoscopy than just with a CT scan... the two are complementary, not substitutes for each other.

I know you'd like to hear everyone say 'just say no to the colonoscopy, it's your body, yada yada...' but what if way down the road you found out there was something in there that could have been detected now instead of later, and by the time they found it it was too late? Of course that's not very likely at all, but just what if? We'd never forgive ourselves for suggesting that you go against your DR's wishes.

My perspective on this is from someone who never had her DR suggest a colonoscopy (or any other bowel related test) until big problems surfaced early post hyst, because I had never had any bowel related symptoms, and now I have been seriously ill twice (once with diverticulitis, once with diverticulitis and peritonitis), and in two weeks I am having part of my colon removed. In the opinion of the surgeon who is going to perform the colectomy, if the colon problem had been diagnosed at a much younger age, I would not have had to have the hyst I had last year. The moral of this story is... always better to find out about something early enough to do something about it and possibly prevent further problems from developing.

So.... I guess my advice would be to grit your teeth, ask for plenty of versed and go ahead and humor your DR with the colonoscopy, it won't be bad at all and it'll be over and done with, and he can check off that box in his mind and move on. And so can you!

As far as the venting goes, if you need to vent, then you came to the right place! We sure can understand, we've all been there.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2003, 05:10 PM

Hi Tickles,

I think Linda is right, better to suffer through the tests and know in your mind every stone has been unturned. If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a colonoscopy in two weeks, the dr. suspects hemmoroids, but says I should get checked. Tommorrow I go for a follow up mammo (last one showed calcifications). Does it ever end?? I guess we should be thankful that we have these tests, but I'm not looking forward to the prep the night before,lol. I hope you find out what's causing your pain soon.

s

Marta
Unread 03-10-2003, 06:12 PM
on and on...

Tickles & Marta,
I hear ya both!!! I'm in the same boat Tickles, had my hyster. a little over a year ago and have had bladder spasms and pelvic pressure/discomfort since. I had a bladder adhesion to the uterus, and the bladder I guess resulted in spasms. I've been through all the uro. tests etc...and will join you both with a colonoscopy March 19th too!! ugh...The joys of turning 40 I guess...lol I showed distended multiple bowel loops on my last ultrasound two wks. ago, and they said the distention could be pushing on the bladder causing continued spasms. I have two little kiddos too Tickles, and have been struggling with anxiety and depression since this hysterectomy. Trying to stay "up" in spirit as you all too well know, is a battle itself. The continued appts., finding sitters... I guess ruling out as much as possible is the answer, as anxiety provoking as it is...I worry about adhesions or scar tissue since I've had 2 C-sections, a lap, and a lap. supracervical hysterectomy. They do NOT show up an ultrasounds, CAT, or MRI's. Therefore another lap.? More scar tissue in my opinion...Sigh...Keep us posted you guys on your situation and your symptoms and together we will get through this!!!! Somehow, right?

Hugs to you,
Paula
Unread 03-10-2003, 07:14 PM

Well now, wait a minute girls. You are the patient(s), you endure the procedures and you endure the consequences of the procedures. Sometimes, for our emotional well being, if nothing else, we need some time to absorb and adjust to all that is happening to us. And sometimes that means temporarily postponing a suggested procedure.

If you truly suspect that you are caught in the middle of a rift between your GP and your Pain Management Dr then maybe you need to find a replacement for one or the other. Maybe too what you need is to just get that pain relief you need for now and maybe even an antidepressant to help get you thru this as you must be overwhelmed with the pain and all that's been happening with you and your family.

It is NOT correct to say that the colonoscopy is a "non-invasive" procedure. It IS invasive. That being said, the worst part of a colonoscopy is the cleansing prep. This from repeated first hand experience! You are sedated but aware enough to ask for more sedation if needed and won't remember the procedure at all when it is over.

Personally, "I" would postpone the colonoscopy for now. I would Just tell my GP that I am currently so overwhelmed I need time to recoup and gather my wits and strength about me. Explain how everything just seems so out of control and I'm not up to coping with yet another prodding, poking, etc. or even the misery of the cleansing. That is not a repudiation of his attempts to find some answers to help you, it is just a matter of your not feeling able to cope for the time being.

Sometimes even if on a physical level it is wisest to take action, on an emotional, coping level it is better to temporarily postpone things awhile until we are able to cope and to think straight.

(((hugs))) best wishes and God bless!
Unread 03-10-2003, 11:34 PM

((((((Tickles))))))

I'm sorry you are going thru all this
You know, whenever I hear about ths kind of situation, it makes me think. Its ALWAYS better to be on the safe side - there has to be a good reason WHY the Dr. wants this test done. I lost someone who was very dear to me to colon cancer. Not a day goes by that I dont miss him. If he had just gotten things checked out when he should of, it could of been caught early. So I guess thats why I'm all for getting things checked.
It does sound like there is a problem between the two Drs. If it were me - I would be replacing one of them. But you need to do what you feel is the right thing.
Good luck in deciding - and I hope you are feeling better soon 's

Susan
Unread 03-11-2003, 04:19 AM

Another thought, Cathy:

I mentioned a temporary antidepressant to help you over this tough time in your life but just happened to realize that at 38 this emotional upheaval and feeling of being overwhelmed may be due in part to hormones. Forgive me for that, at 60 I'm past that.

If you have your ovaries maybe they still haven't recovered and kicked back into full gear since the surgery or if your ovaries are gone are you on any form of HRT? Hormones can create havoc with our emotions and ability to cope - as can a lack of them.

While I hesitate to suggest yet another Dr in your life at this point perhaps a Gyn or a Endocronoligst might be able to sort this out for you.

Also, I would hope that your GP's referral for a colonoscopy is to a Gastro and not to just a general surgeon. Most gastros are extremely busy due to Medicare's expansion of approval of payment for scopes so it can take as much as 2-3 months to get a scope scheduled but it is worth the wait to have someone specifically well trained and skilled in performing the scope and recognizing what they are seeing. If it is not too overwhelming at this point to have a scope appointment hanging over your head you might consider setting an appointment with a good gastro for the scope. It is always something you can cancel if you still aren't up to it at the time. Most likely by the time of the appointment your family will all be feeling better with less worry and demands on you and your time and you won't be feeling so overwhelmed with your life seeming to be out of control.

As a person with Crohn's disease I've had several colonoscopies and having had one bowel resection for Crohn's I'm familiar with a good colorectal surgeon. I would no more consider having a general surgeon for my bowel resection (they do do them) than I would have my colorectal surgeon do my colonoscopies (they do do them). This is not due to fear of their ability to do the scope comfortably and safely but rather due to being familiar with and recognizing any abnormalities they see with the scope. If you are going to go thru a procedure you want it to be thorough and any problems recognized, not missed or overlooked. The gastros have the most experience performing the procedure and recognizing any abnormalities.

That being said, a little about the scope itself: you are given an IV sedation and a little something for any discomfort. Usually this is an IV mixture of Versed and Demeral. Nothing is started until the Versed and Demeral take effect which is almost instantaneious. Generally you wake up 20 minutes or so later sitting in a comfortable chair wondering when they are going to start the procedure. You do have to have someone drive you home as quite often you will retain at least a feeling of well being and calmness that can affect your reflexes and even judgement even tho you feel wide awake and alert from the Versed. Versed is a close relative of Valium. If you are allergic to either the Versed or Demeral there are other choices they use that work just as good but might take a little more time to wear off after the procedure. The doctor will speak to you after the procedure and before releasing you to tell you what if anything he/she saw so you know the results immediately except if he found a pseudopolyp, polyp or did a biopsy. He will tell you if any of these were found but must wait for the pathology report to know what significance these might reveal.

If you still have any apprehension about the procedure please know that I have my colonoscopies done WITHOUT sedation at my insistence. I happen to like watching the scope on the monitor and seeing for myself what the gastro is seeing. But that is my choice. For your first scope at least, go with the sedation. In some facilities they can actually make a video of the colonoscopy if you request and you bring in a blank tape. They make it for you during the procedure for you to see what went on later when you are home. Our local facilities don't have that capability but if you are curious you can ask. I think that all of them do take still pictures of any abnormalities that are found and they can give you a copy of that still or at least let you look at it. Depends on your depth of interest whether you want to see them or not.
Unread 03-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I guess I am feeling that the timing is off as I was just starting to enjoy "living" again without Dr. appt. after Dr. appt. Perhaps if I mentioned this to my Gp he might see waiting for a little as a possibility. I think I'm really mostly overtired as DD has been sick therefore no sleep. I'm not depressed at all, and for sure those hormones are flowing! I think I just needed to vent....and appreciate all your points of views. I'm going to take a few days to think about it, get some sleep and hopefully see things more clearly. I will keep you up to date! Love to you all, Cathy
Unread 03-11-2003, 07:02 AM

Good going, Cathy! Now you are on the right track. These one or two days are just what you need.

Come on in and vent anytime! Sometimes just the venting is enough. But for sure the empathy and understanding of those who have gone thru similar helps us know we are not alone.

Hope hubby and family are all doing better as well. Its rough to be sick ourselves and then have to watch our families sick and suffering too....

And heaven knows, sleep can be a good "cure all" on its own! Lack of it can REALLY send us into a spin.

Anyway, good to hear you sounding so much better this morning. I have the utmost confidence you will decide on what is best for you.

God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register