NOT cushings but ADDISONS Disease | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

NOT cushings but ADDISONS Disease NOT cushings but ADDISONS Disease

Unread 03-11-2003, 05:05 PM
NOT cushings but ADDISONS Disease

hi , im so depressed, the doc has informed me that i have addisons disease. He didnt even explain it to me what it was, only that he was sending me to an endocrinologist because it was getting too difficult for him. As if everything else i have isnt enough. I m on a disability pension for my other prob. and now this. Is there anyone else out there got this complaint, apparently its very rare 1 - 100.000 get it. can anyone send me some cheer im so very down with it all, sometimes i think of giving up,it would be easier than trying to cope with everything, but its not fair to dh and ds''s and dd and my future gson.
i often ask why me, I feel like JOB(in the bible). cause i deal with one thing and wham im hit with something else. Even the doctor has said that its one more for my list ....
you'd think id get use to it but i dont, know i have to face this new problem. As well i have to have an MRI to see if i have a tumor on my pituitary gland to make sure its not causing the 3 times the limit of prolactin in my system.
im falling apart , big time.

chelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2003, 05:34 PM

Chelle

I am sooo sorry- sending warm s across the miles.. you poor dear!! But don't ever think of giving up- just think of the wonderful family you have- and a new baby coming!!

Sometimes(OK alot of times) all the health issues just get you down and me to!! but you are a wonderful person and we all care deeply for you!! So take a breath and have a cup of and know we here for you!!

Unread 03-11-2003, 07:09 PM

I am sure Addisons Disease is an auto immune disease. It is when your immune system is out to destroy your adrenal glands. You take medication to compensate .

A young neighbour of mine was 15 years old when she started vomiting non stop for weeks. The local doctor said it was a virus but her mother eventually admitted her to hospital and she was diagnosed with Addisons. Once on medication she was a lot better. That happended quite a few years ago and she is doing fine now. Her adrenal gland has shrivelled up and is useless though. It is a similar sort of thing that happens when you get Hashimotos. That is when your thyroid gets killed off by your immune system. You just need to take medication to compensate for the glands that no longer work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2003, 09:55 PM

Hi (((Chelle))), so sorry about this new diagnosis. Chin up, sweetie! The good news is, it's something that is treatable. Many people with Addison's Disease live completely normal lives! Our President Kennedy had it. Even pets can get it!

Addison's Disease usually results in insufficient production of cortisol by the adrenals, also called adrenal insufficiency. Interestingly enough, many of us spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out how to control or limit our production of cortisol (the 'stress hormone') and those with Addison's don't produce enough of it... want some of mine?

Here are some links with information about Addison's:

http://www.addisons.org.au/

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/c...1680_53715.htm

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/addisons.html

http://www.healinglight.com/autoimmune/

http://www.doctorpage.com/findit/Dis...isons_Disease/

http://www.medhelp.org/nadf/nadf3.htm

http://www.xray2000.f9.co.uk/radpath...onsdisease.htm

Please let us know when you have to go in for the MRI... I have a good friend (male) who did have a tumor on his pituitary last year... ended up having to have it removed, which was dicey surgery... it has messed with his hormones good but now, a year later, he is doing fabulously well! So, no worries (well, maybe just a few ) Hun you are going to be right as rain after all is said and done. Tell your DH and kids to hang in there with you, they need to support you and they'll have you back in good time, OK?

Come here and vent any time, I'm sure this is sooo frustrating!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:28 AM

Hi Chelle,

I just wanted to send your some s and warm thoughts! I have had someone close to me with this experience and it is treatable! I will be thinking of you. Please keep us posted with your tests results and how you are doing.

Sandra

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register