Abdominal Myo and Adenomyosis Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Myo and Adenomyosis Question Abdominal Myo and Adenomyosis Question

Unread 03-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Abdominal Myo and Adenomyosis Question

Hi all,

I want to say thank you to everyone who gave me input 10 weeks ago about the pros/cons of an abdominal myo vs. a hyst to remove a 10 cm fibroid. I chose to do the ab myo and everything went great. I am now 6 weeks post op and feel fabulous. I guess I was very lucky because I had no complications whatsoever and was close to my regular self within 2 weeks. No excercise of course. HA!

Anyway, while my GYN was in there, he noticed something else on my uterus and found out that I have Adenomyosis. I am symptom free so that's good, but I was wondering about a possible cause.

Okay, this is probably more than some of you may want to know, but I am dying of curiousity and simply cannot ask my GYN. Have any of you with Adenomyosis heard that it can sometimes be caused by having intercourse and having an orgasm while you are on your period? Someone once told me that having sex while on your period can cause endometrios, so I was wondering if this holds true for adenomyosis. I'm figuring that the orgasm part might have more play that's why I mentioned it.

Thanks in advance for any info...I know I've rambled a bit. SORRY!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 12:45 PM

To be honest, I've never heard of that reason (having an orgasm during a period) for either condition!

I had extensive (severe) adeno, with a little endo...but, as people as young as 12 and 13 can suffer from endo, I'm doubtful as to whether intercourse is a true causative factor. Uterine contractions tend to move things out and away, rather than in....

I'd be interested to read up on any studies though....I've never heard of it, but I'm always eager to learn!

Ok, editing...I just found this super link online:

http://info.med.yale.edu/obgyn/klima...ts/Orgasm.html <---- regarding orgasm and endo (suggests that if anything, orgasm can help protect *against* endo)

Best wishes,

Tess
Unread 03-14-2003, 02:44 PM

Wow Tess, thanks so much for that link!! That certainly was an interesting article and I guess proves my theory wrong. I wish I could find more studies on this same issue. Very interesting!

Thanks again!
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 02:58 PM

Hi Deb,
I have no additional links to share, but after almost two years reading and posting here at Hystersisters (including one year as hostess) I've never read anything to substantiate either claim about orgasms during periods causing endometriosis or adenomyosis.

I have done a lot of reading about endo since I had it ... severe stage 4 endo. Also found out I had adenomyosis from the pathology report post hyst. The Endometriosis Sourcebook makes no mention of such a cause ... nor do any of my other books (A Woman's Guide to Hysterectomy, A Gynecologist's Second Opinion, and several other books).

Bottom line - I think this is just an "old wive's tale" so to speak. I don't believe there is any truth to this as all! My

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register