Freaking out! Just realized that my doctor may be an idiot! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking out! Just realized that my doctor may be an idiot! Freaking out! Just realized that my doctor may be an idiot!

Unread 03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Freaking out! Just realized that my doctor may be an idiot!

Ok...first let me thank all you ladies and this site for letting vent once again. Now, Monday I woke up with a raging UTI, after my two pitiful hours of sleep that is...so I call my good ole gyno. Talk to his nurse...tell her the prob. She talks to doc and doc says I have to come in the following day, leave a specimen and wait two more days for the lab results, THEN he will write me a script. At the same time I asked for something to help with the discomfort (prolapsed uterus and bladder with left ovarian cysts...very uncomfortable by the end of the day) so I can sleep at night, his nurse tells me this: oh...he doesnt call in antibiotics without a culture....oh he doesnt prescribe any pain meds pre-op but motrin (already taking 1200 mg at a time...sheesh...they do nothing). So anyway...I was aggravated but I called my nurse practitioner (who knows I have two Uti's a year and I am not an idiot) she calls in a script...forgot to ask her for pain meds cause I was upset about the thought of being in some serious misery for 4 more days.

Then...had my ultra sound today and called after to schedule my surgery and my pre-op appointment. I have alot of questions about what he is expecting to do and what he MIGHT have to do.
His nurse tells me this:He doesnt do pre-op appointments.
well can I have him call me so I can ask my questions that way?
THIS: He doesnt do phone consultations!!
So I ask....just what DOES he do??? sheesh
So I am just supposed to schedule the surgery without knowing whats on the ultra-sound...without knowing what hes planning on doing besides the tvh...and never having seen him again after that first 20 minute appointment!!!!!!!

I called my insurance ..got an ok for a second opinion and called the gyn the insurance company refered me to....problem is...they cant get me in untill the 21st of this month, when I was supposed to be scheduled for the 1st of april cause I'm getting married May 17th...now I have to start all over!!!! WAAAAAAAAAA! At this rate...I'll be lucky if I am 1 week post-op at my ceremony!

tomorrows task: Dig a big ole hole behind the house for a certain doc who shall remain nameless! aaaarrrgh!

sorry this was so long ladies....whew! Thanks again for the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2003, 06:20 PM

Oh my stars girl! No pre-op appointment, no phone consultations - uh, mmmmm??? That doesn't sound right. Is there any way you could get in to see another doctor? Can you make a 'regular' appointment with this doctor, to ask him your questions then? Maybe if you don't call it a 'pre-op' appointment, they'll let ya in to see him.

Hoping you get some answers!
Unread 03-13-2003, 06:44 PM

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this!

Given what you have shared...I would definitely seek out another doctor. It's so important to feel comfortable with your doc and feel that he is a partner in your healthcare...and most especially when you are facing major surgery. I have never heard of a doc not doing pre-op appointments

I'm curious as to why a hyst has been recommended for you???....and if you find a new doc, can you delay surgery until after your wedding? I don't think any of us who have been thru hyst would recommend having any kind of big event at one week postop!

A second opinion with a new doc definitely sounds like the right thing to do. Please let us know what you decide to do....

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2003, 07:01 PM
What kind of DR is this?!

I would definitely get another DR. Having a hyst is serious, major surgery. You want to have every confidence in your DR. He needs to be kind of a hero to you, really, I'm serious. If you don't have the utmost confidence in him and the decision you are making, well, peace of mind will not be easy to come by and as other Sisters have said on this site, the waiting is the worst part. You don't want to wait in the dark on top of it!

I ended up with what I called a pre-pre op appointment. I had so many questions and they had scheduled the pre-op for 2 days before the surgery, so I called and asked for another apointment 2 weeks before. I went in with a two page type written list. Pulled it out and my sat right down and went through every question.
I kept my pre-op appointment too, because I thought of more questions. This didn't phase him a bit, I just kept asking and he kept answering. Because of this I had great confidence in him and the decision I made.
You deserve that peace of mind.
I agree with the other sisters, wait until after the wedding if you need to. At one week, a wedding won't be any fun and you won't be able to have, ahem, any fun afterwards, if you know what I mean
Keep us posted on how it is going.
Jo
Unread 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Need help digging?

I've had a few MD's I'd like to dump in a hole too, so let's make it a great big one!
Seriously, if you think you can handle it, do wait until after the wedding. Be a bride, then a princess.
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals!
Unread 03-14-2003, 12:29 PM

Hi, Bstn! I'm sorry the dr is not treating you with the dignity and respect that you deserve. It seems that he is not following his code of professional ethics, (for the Amer. College of Ob's and Gyns). Their code states that it is fundamental for him to have "respect for the right of individual patients to make their *own* choices about their health care." If he is not being truthful and honest with you about all that he is going to do in surgery, and will not answer all your questions about possible outcomes or what to expect during recovery, then you really must find a new dr. You need to fully trust and have confidence in your dr. The other ladies are right--this is major surgery, with a 6-8 week recovery, and you deserve an excellent dr. s and best wishes in your search!
Ruthie
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:53 PM

I am so happy you are getting another doctor. I didn't feel comfortable with the first doc I saw either. He was in too big a hurry all the time and made me feel like it was a real bother to wait for me to formulate my questions or that I even had any questions. Also, found out later from a copy of my US report, that he didn't tell me the whole story either. Things were much different than he described, makes me wonder if he had the wrong report from another patient.

Anyway, I sought another doctor's opinion and am so happy I did. Doc 2 spent lots of time explaining and answering my questions and because of my research here we were able to discuss all the possibilities so I could come to the decision that made the best sense for me.

I just have a real problem with medical professionals who treat their patients poorly. Whether they are being paid via insurance or out of our pocket, they are being paid and handsomely. I expect fabulous service and treatment from them for my hard-earned dollars just the same as I do when spending for any other service.

Good luck with the new doc. Hopefully, they won't have to put you off too long. Perhaps they can work you in if you explain your circumstances. It would be worth a try. If you don't A S K you don't G E T.

ConnieW
Unread 03-14-2003, 08:30 PM

My first doctor was terrible. She wanted to do the edometrial ablation even though I have PCOS. I told her I was under the understanding that ablation was contra-indicated for PCOS because it can make detecting endometrial cancer difficult. She got really mad at me and try to scare me about a hysterectomy by telling me horror stories. She wouldn't answer questions and finally said she would do the surgery if I went on blood pressure medication and got the okay from primary primary care doc. I found a different doctor who sat with me for 30 minutes to go over my lists of questions. (Thanks to this site I had a great list!). The nurses were great and have answered questions I've had since then. I've never heard of a doctor not doing pre-op appointments. I'm actually having 2. (1 with my pcp and 1 with the ob/gyn).
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:07 PM

In addition to getting a second opinion, I would really press for an appointment with the first doctor. Tell the nurse it's important that you see the doctor. Tell her the doctor told you to come back if you had any questions. Tell her you have questions about the surgery that were not able to be discussed before because there wasn't enough information. Tell her ANYthing you can think of, but get an appointment! If that doesn't work, send the doctor a note saying you have been trying to get an appointment to discuss some questions you have and that you have not been able to get an appointment. Ask your GP to call this doctor to clarify the situation. Because it may not be the it may be the And if all that doesn't work you will know for sure that you don't want that doctor operating on you no matter what.

Don't let this ruin your wedding! Maybe you just have to postpone the surgery. It's getting kind of close now anyway, isn't it?

Joselle
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:19 PM

(((Bstn)))

I am so sorry you had to deal with all that. Please do go find a new doctor that will give you the respect you deserve.

I know you want to get the surgery over with but I would rather put it off a while longer so you feel more comfortable with everything that is going to happen. This is a major deal....so is your wedding.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Big s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register