Bugged!!!!! Tired of Wheezing!!!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bugged!!!!! Tired of Wheezing!!!!!!!!! Bugged!!!!! Tired of Wheezing!!!!!!!!!

Unread 03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Bugged!!!!! Tired of Wheezing!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am extremely bugged! I need to vent about it. I have never had asthma in my life. In January picked up a virus or something and coughed like crazy. It never cleared up. Went to my family doc (who came back from being away for 3 months). She gave me a bronchial dilator(puffer), and another asmthma type puffer. Plus heavy duty antibiotics, large like horse pills!! Took for a week. I am stubborn and do not like puffers. Here it is March and I'm still wheezing!! It never went away. I can't get in to see my doc for 2 weeks. I can hear myself wheezing when I breathe and hear myself wheezing when I sleep.
This is driving me nuts!!. I am really :angry: about this! Feel great in evry other way except my breathing and this post nasal drip which runs down the back of my throat and my windpipe which seizes up! Yuk!!!!! Has anybody else been there and been through this????? I prefer natural remedies to pills and puffers. Feel like I traded one problem for another.
Help!!!!!!!!!!
Sandy
Lavh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Have a DS in the same boat!

Sandy,

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with this breathing thing. My 11 year old DS has had problems with allergies and asthma off and on since he was 4 months old. He spent the night in ER on his 2nd b-day because of stridor. They thought his airway had collapsed. He has had breathing treatments and oral Proventil many times with good success. He will go for long periods (months) without breathing problems and we will think he's growing out of itt and then WHAM! He has been taking Zyrtec daily for a year. I had to take him to the doctor Wednesday because he was wheezing so badly. They put him on a steroid and referred him to an allergist for testing. May be something you want to talk to your doc about? I hope you find the answers and relief you need soon. Take care!
Unread 03-14-2003, 01:09 PM

Sandy,
Many many years ago I had what my doc called chronic bronchitis. No matter what we did it seemed that it would keep coming back. It finally took a cortisone shot and using the medrol dose pack to totally knock it out. I do know how you feel, it seems like I was in the doc's office every 2 weeks. Not being able to breathe is not fun!

I really have to urge you to use those inhalers, they are there to help. I developed adult onset asthma and currently am on 3 inhalers. 2 are maintainance type inhalers and one is for when I have an attack. The 2 maintainance inhalers really help to keep those airways open. Breathing is nothing to mess with. I once ended up in the ER breathing on 45% lung capacity. I was considered a Level IV emergency, one step away from the highest. PLEASE use those inhalers. And call your doctor and voice your concerns and let him/her know that you're still wheezing and having difficulties.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 02:48 PM

My adult onset asthma just started one day, too. I was laughing and started wheezing, then started the coughing, etc. Not only is it important to use those inhalers, but it is important to see a Respirologist to assess your condition and prescribe appropriate medication. You should not still be wheezing and may need something different. I agree, this is nothing to mess around with. You don't want to end up in an emergency situation.

I prefer natural remedies, too. But sometimes, when things have gone too far, the big guns are called for. This is one of those times.

Joselle
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:57 AM

Dear Sandy,

I'm sorry for what you're going through. My husband tends to get bronchitis and sometimes he has needed an inhaler for the short term to give him some relief. Perhaps you will be able to stop once you recover fully (sounds like, with the postnasal drip, something is still going on...).

Do you have, or have you ever had, other kinds of allergies? They can all be part of a complex along with asthma, so sometimes people have hayfever for a while and then later in life have asthma or asthma in childhood, other allergies, later, etc.

As a lifelong asthma sufferer, I can tell you that natural remedies will not work and this is not something to mess around with. Asthma can be life-threatening if not properly managed. There are many good therapies and meds out there now. The steroid inhalers don't get absorbed into your system too much and treat the underlying inflammation, which more and more doctors believe is the real problem. They are very effective.

I can understand it would be upsetting to have this problem, but it's important to treat it aggressively and get it under control!

goodluck!
Unread 03-15-2003, 08:46 AM

I have picked up the same type of bug it seems. I have this continuing drip that just won't go away. A lot of people at work have it too. An inhaler or breathing treatments or really good. Use them. A good cough syrup and or some type of decongestant pills such as Bidex are good. A good non-drowsy antihistamine may help you make it through the day. I hate taking meds too but am having to, to get rid of this gunk. It's getting better! I hope you can get something going to get some of that stuff dried up and in the meantime......please use your inhaler.
Unread 03-15-2003, 04:40 PM

Hi, I would like to thank all of you ladies for your concern and support. I'm trying to be postive about this, and hope that it will not be a life long problem. Did phone my docs' nurse and got a prescription for 2 puffers that I picked up.
I have had allergies for many years, my allergies used to be very bad, but never had asthma. I have done the full route on the healing route for allergies; over the counter antihistamines, cold pills, and all that junk. Investigated alternative routes and through trial and error, and much suffering, eventually found a chinese herbalist and just want to say "never underestimate the power of alternative therapy". He gave me herbs that not only got me better, but strengthened my immune system. Also got into vitamins which also strengthened my immune system.
Anyway, after the hyst, my system changed and the allergies flared.
I no longer have a chinese herbalist in my area, but I traveled to the nearest city and talked with a lady who is very knowledegable, and sells a product I have been using for my allergies for years. She showed me the procucts she had for asthma, and I'm trying that.
One of these puffers that I got makes me very shaky after I use it, not good for me! I fiqure anything that makes me shake like that cannot be good for my body. What do people use for maintainence? The bronchial dialtor puffer or the cortisone inhaler?
Also got some books from the library, because I have food allergies and am sensitive to msg etc. I swear I am allergic to almost everything that I love including chocolate!!!!
Would like to hear from others who have allergies, as I am allergic to house dust, ha ha, I know I've been slack in the dusting dept. since my hyst, it just sort of carried on!!:LOL Lint from the clothes drier is also deadly for me..... could go on and on. So I guess I need to have other family members do the :vacuming: and dusting Permanently:LOL
Sorry this is so long........let me know what has worked for you....
s
Sandy
Lavh
Unread 03-16-2003, 07:46 AM

Dear Sandy,

I know what you mean about allergies changing/flaring after the surgery. This has happened to me. For whatever reason, I have problems with eczema now, from time to time, particularly after I exercise. I'm just trying to live with it and treat it as it occurs. I know that the unusually cold winter and dry skin haven/t helped.

Regarding the inhalers, I imagine it's the albuterol that is making you shaky. You will get used to that feeling in time, but do not overuse it. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. This is the "rescue" inhaler that you should use when you're having trouble breathing, but you can overdose if you use it more often than directed.

The steroid inhaler won't relieve your immediate symptoms but it will lessen or prevent attacks by reducing the inflammation in your airways. It is very important to keep using it and it will cut down on the need to use your other inhaler eventually.

As long as you are not overusing the albuterol inhaler, don't be afraid of the shakiness. Check with your doctor, but I believe that it's important to use it when you are first having symptoms. In other words, don't try to tough it out if you're having an attack--it can just get harder to reverse it.

Asthma is frightening and hard to get used to. But the meds available now are really good, so you should be able to get this under control if you follow your doc's instructions.

I am now on a diskus kind of inhaler--Advair--and hardly ever need to use my albuterol inhaler. I use it before exercising and sometimes need another puff after a few minutes of exercising, but otherwise, really not at all, so I'm happy!

I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 03-16-2003, 09:21 AM

Hi again!

I did want to mention to you that when my daughter's asthma showed up - I think she was in her late teens - it was during a bout of bronchitis and when she got over that her symptoms went away. She wheezes now when she gets a viral infection that goes to her lungs, but never any other time. She does not take medication except at those times.

As for the shakiness: I've found two ways to deal with that (although I've found that salbuterol doesn't really help me much so I don't use it very often - just keep it around in case I have an acute attack). One way to avoid the shakiness is to rinse your mouth well *immediately* after use. And I do mean immediately. I use that inhaler at the sink and have my water already in a glass. I rinse my mouth really well and that pretty much takes care of it. It could even be the propellant in the puffer that you're sensitive to, in which case the second method is even better. I use a spacer (Aerochamber by name) for all puffers. The propellant is heavier than the medication and falls out in the chamber. It's also a way to make sure you get your medication, as without it it's sometimes easy to sort of miss and not get the whole puff. The salbuterol helps if your wheeziness is caused by tightening of the bronchial tubes. If it's mostly inflammation then the steroid inhaler will be more helpful but as the previous poster said, it takes awhile to build up in your system. I didn't get the full effect for nine months.

Regarding alternative treatments, the one I found really did help was acupuncture. I was using Ventolin at maximum dose for quite awhile along with the steroid puffer. After acupuncture I could trhow my Ventolin away. (I didn't throw it away - I just keep it in the cupboard in case of emergency.) But I did need to continue with the steroid. When I cut the dose down I really notice the difference. I'm still on an increased dose due to surgery.

I am allergic to many, many chemicals and substances as well. I try to avoid whatever I can. Our house is fragrance free, carpet free, smoke free, etc. I am on a special diet. Most importantly, we have an air exchanger and a HEPA filter on our central air system, an electronic air filter on the furnace, and a couple of portable filtration units with HEPA and carbon filters. If somebody comes in with perfume on, for example, I just get out the portable unit and place it strategically. And even I was surprised when we finally removed the carpeting. It wasn't even in the whole house. Not only was my breathing easier, but a lot of my other symptoms improved, including Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

And yes, I do have other people do the cleaning!!

Joselle
Unread 03-16-2003, 09:15 PM

Dear Sisters, thanks again for your wonderful support. I will be seeing my doc again as soon as I can get and will discuss. I really think that in my case I had or have a viral infection that turned into bronchitis and that started the wheezing. I didn't mean to scare anyone. I have not stopped breathing and have never had an attack where I cannot breathe at all. At times I wheeze and then start to cough from excess mucus. Anyway, feel much better today, I really believe my herbs are helping and I will use the inhalers when necessary. I also have allergies which causes acute sinus rhinitis, sounds wierd hey, and that can cause a lot of nasal drip running down the back of my throat. Anyway, not wheezing near as much today.
Joselle: you have made a very good point. Carpets really bother me. Where I live I am renting, if I can afford to get out of here someday, I'll want a place with no carpeting or limited carpeting!
I am not a fanatic, but when you have allergies.........well, the people who have allergies really understand.
I do have to do most of my own cleaning, but may have to tie a scarf around my face or get a mask. Oh, and I was reading that our bedrooms can collect a lot of dust and that can really bother some people, as well, I think my furnace vents need to be cleaned. Well, not trying to totally bore you ladies, time to sign off.
s
Sandy
Lavh

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register