OK, what's THIS all about?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK, what's THIS all about?? OK, what's THIS all about??

Unread 03-14-2003, 03:05 PM
OK, what's THIS all about??

I had my hysterectomy two years ago. TAH/BSO. I am not on hormone therapy and I've been fine. No hot flashes. But lately I've been kind of warm at night and last night I woke up soaking wet. DRENCHED. What's this all about??

Any takers? I was thinking about asking for some testosterone because right now 'fine' doesn't mean I have any libido. Wasn't always this way. Would lack of testosterone have anything to do with night sweats??

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 10:07 PM

Hi Joselle,

Even though I am on HRT I can relate to the night sweats because my hormones are not working properly.

Estrogen will help with the hotflashes, they even have natural HRT over the counter if you do not want to take HRT. Did you have endo or did you just opt not to take HRT?

Testesterone will make the hotflashes worse, Believe me I should know, mine should be between 0.0-2.2 and it is at 29.0 for some strange reason. If you want some I will be glad to share!!

I would talk to your Dr to check your estrogen levels as well as your testosterone lever. That may provide the answer to your hotflashes and nightsweats. I know how horrible they can be!!

I hope you can get it all figured out soon so you can get a dry nights sleep, I am still praying for one..

Keep us updated..

Pam
Unread 03-15-2003, 02:46 AM

Hi Joselle Night sweats as well as hot flashes can be the result of hormonal fluctuations as well as low estrogen levels. They can also be caused by thyroid problems or pituitary or adrenal issues.

Without having everything tested it's impossible to speculate about what will or won't help you with the night sweats.

The libido issue is a whole separate thing... testosterone can help with that IF your free testosterone level tests low and IF you are a good candidate for using it (for example, favorable lipid profile). Testosterone generally does not cause or affect hot flashes unless your level is fluctuating a lot.

I would recommend that you ask your DR if you can get your hormone levels checked, as well as at least your thyroid function. See what shows up and go from there. If you decide to try testosterone it's really important for you to be under a DR's care. A little can work wonderfully well, but too much can have undesirable effects.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 07:05 AM

Joselle,

((Linda)) & ((Pam)) have already given you some great advice here. I also suggest you discuss this with your doc and get checked out.

I'm curious...how long have you been off of HRT?

You also may want to consider posting in the "No Hormone Desert Oasis.” If you haven’t already…Here’s the link:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=34
Let us know how you are doing...S
Unread 03-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure how my hormones can be changing so much when I don't have a uterus or ovaries. I know that hormones come from other places as well, but I didn't think they were in amounts that would be enough to cause such noticeable symptoms.

Pam, thanks for reminmding me that testosterone can make hot flashes worse. I remember that I dicussed it with my doctor at one point and decided against it, and that was probably one of several reasons. I don't have my estrogen levels checked because I don't take estrogen anyway. So it doesn't really matter what the levels are. When they were checked I was pretty low in everything. (No surprise.)

Linda, I may talk to my GP about the testosterone and thyroid too. I had bloodwork recently but I'm sure there were no tests for hormones but I think the thyroid was checked. Iwill make sure.

Judester, I really haven't ever been ON HRT. I did try for a little while before my surgery but chose to go off because of side effects. After my surgery I waited a few months and tried again but both times it resulted in a flare of my bowel disease. I choose to have no hormones rather than symptomatic bowel disease. It's clear that hormones were, for me, a big contributor to bowel disease, since just going through menopause made it better and post TAH/BSO things were better still. So whether to be on estrogen is a no brainer for me. It was unexpected but apparently not a rare situation in women who have Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Joselle
Unread 03-15-2003, 11:59 AM

Joselle,
Have you checked out the No Hormone Desert Oasis forum? https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=34 The ladies there can't or don't take hormones.

There are some OTC supplements you can take to help with the symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, mood swings, etc. While these supplements don't replace estrogen they can make things easier for you.

Hormonal balance is a delicate thing and many many factors play into it. I am on hrt and have been balanced for quite some time. However, during times of stress, illness, surgery etc I will see a return of some of the symptoms of imbalance. Given some time I do return to where I was previously.

Unread 03-15-2003, 01:25 PM

Ohhhhh, OK, Kim. Good point. I kept thinking I didn't need to figure out anything else . . . . I'll go check it out. . . . you know, I just wish it would all go away all by itself . . . .

Joselle
Unread 03-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Joselle

I just wanted to let you know that even though you do not have your organs there can still be problems. Believe me, I am a walking disaster!!!

You are very lucky that you did not develop hot flashes sooner not being on HRT. I would do the same thing if I had your IBS and not take the HRT, but your hormone levels (lack of) contribute to all of the menopause symptoms. Also thyroid disease can give some of the similar symptoms. I have hypothyroidism and my thyroid hormone kept my HRT from absorbing, so in turn I got all of the menopause symptoms.

Since your IBS can not tolerate the HRT, I would definetly try the OTC remedies if the hotflashes are bothering you. Like Kim said, it is not a hormone, it just can relieve some of the symptoms. It is worth a shot..

Unfortunatly, I am trying to find out what is causing my testosterone level to be so high and it is either my liver or adrenal gladn producing it. I never know the liver produced hormones..

Good luck and I hope you cool off soon...

Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register