6 mos post op and rectocele still there :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 mos post op and rectocele still there :( 6 mos post op and rectocele still there :(

Unread 03-14-2003, 04:12 PM
6 mos post op and rectocele still there :(

I am 6 months post op, and still feel like I have a rectocele. It is much better than before the surgery as it does not protude behind the vagina anymore, but I still feel a bulging, and still get constipated.

I questioned the dr. right away and a few months later. Also asked another dr., and they said the repair was as tight as they could made it. I had it done along with a cystocele repair and TVH. Has anyone else had this experience?

What do I do know.....hate to go to a colorectal dr and have another surgery??????

Help .

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2003, 04:54 PM

I keep hearing about rectocele. What is it? :confuse:

I want to be as informed as possible, you know!

Geoqueen
Unread 03-14-2003, 10:42 PM
rectocele

Hi Geoqueen,

A rectocele, is like a hernia in the lower colon. You usually feel pressure, and consitpation, and cannot empty your bowels completely. Mine was bulging behind the vagina. Surgery has helped that, but I still tend to get constipated and feel a bulge or pocket .

Hope this helps you.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 01:26 PM

Hi Debbie Forgive me, I don't remember, was it your gyn who did your repair? Have you seen a colorectal or a gastro for an opinion about this? I wonder if there is something else that might be going on that might explain the sensation you're getting? Had a colonoscopy lately?

Sorry for the twenty questions... and I'm so sorry you are still having trouble!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Hi Surferbabe .....

My obgyn did the surgery......and I have considered a colorectal surgeon or gastro, but honestly, I hate the thought of a colonoscopy with the repairs I have had done. I was going to have that first, but colon doctor didn't sound too concerned about anything else going on, which led me to believe to stick the the gyn and his diagnosis of rectocele.

I am trying to shed a few pounds, and gonna drink lots more water and add MORE fiber. If that doesn't make me more comfortable, I'm afraid I will have to see a surgeon .......

Waaaaaaa....I don't want to . I don't want to make matters any worse than they are.
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:06 PM

Aw don't be skeered of the colonoscopy... I had A&P repairs done too, and had to have a colonoscopy and barium enema both, about two months post op. They sedate you for the colonoscopy, it's really a walk in the park! It's just the idea that's hard to handle.

I hope the weight loss, water and fiber do the trick for you... those are good things for most of us anyway. I found the Metamucil wafers to be a really great way to get more fiber (the apple cinnamon ones actually taste pretty good, thanks (((Audrey))) for the suggestion!).

I understand you don't want to have to proceed any further... who does? But I hope you will, if you find that things don't improve for you. We'll be here for you if and when you do.
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:38 PM

(((((Debbie)))))))) I'm so sorry you still have these problems, this far down the road

I had a Grade 3 rectocele repaired at the same time as my TVH and I too still have some problems with constipation. I know that the rectocele repair is holding, however, I also have IBS and the surgery has made it a lot worse.... and, as if that wasn't enough, also have hemmorrhoids to contend with

8 months after my hyst, I decided that enough was enough and that it was time to shed those extra pounds. I found that eating right, adding tons of water and some exercise has helped all around. I still battle with the IBS... I think I'll always have that to deal with, but, most of the time, I can curb the constipation.

I agree with ((((Linda)))): the Metamucil wafers are really a good choice. Not only are they effective but the Apple cinnamon ones actually taste great... so much so that I have to remind myself that they are medicine!!!

((((Sweetie))))) consulting another doctor might be the best thing for you to do: you need to address this and to get better
Unread 03-15-2003, 08:21 PM

Thankyou Ladies........I have already discovered those delicious metamucil bars! lol.......but geeze....you really have to drink alot of water with those so they don't stick to your teeth!

I will go the conservative route with diet now, and if this doesn't work, I will have to go on to another doc, if the "sensation" is too bothersome, because I don't want to be miserable.

Thankyou for all your support.

Hugs,
Debbie
Unread 03-16-2003, 11:25 AM

You know, after posting my question asking what a retrocele is.....I went online and looked it up. I think I have one and have had for a couple of years. I've always had trouble with my bowels, have IBS and noticed about 2 years ago that there was a bulge at the back of my vagina. It freaked me out at the time and I meant to talk to my DR but thought I was over reacting so I never brought it up. I checked again the other day and "YEP" its still there, though not as large.

I had a colonoscopy in Oct, wouldn't the surgeon have caught it then? Or was he just looking for cancer due to my family history? I've talked about this with my DSO and he has urged me to change my diet and lose weight. He is doing the same so I guess we'll work together.

Should I bring this up at my consult at the end of the month? I'm seeing a new DR so that I can have surgery in May instead of waiting until Sept/Oct.

Thanks Sister!

Geoqueen
Unread 03-16-2003, 11:53 AM

Since a rectocele is diagnosed by the bulge into the vagina, a colonoscopy is done "up the wrong end" if you know what I mean. The only way the surgeon who did your colonoscopy would have known about the rectocele is if you'd specifically asked him to check for it.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register