Anyone have an inguinal hernia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have an inguinal hernia? Anyone have an inguinal hernia?

Unread 03-15-2003, 06:42 AM
Anyone have an inguinal hernia?

Hi. I was just diagnosed with a possible inguinal hernia on the right side. Has anyone else had one of these?

I'm due to go for a CT scan on Tuesday and then to see a surgeon on Thursday.

Thanks for any replies.

~Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 07:20 AM

Sue,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I do not have personal experience to share with you...but thought perhaps this would help. I did a search for you (in case you had not done this yet). Here is what I came up with from this wonderful site:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...der=descending

I will keep you in my prayers and want to wish you all the best with your upcoming tests and appointments. Please let us know how they go...

S from,

Jude
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:54 AM

Hi ((Sue)),
Its soo good to *see* you I'm sorry it's for this tho I have no personal experience/advice with this condition but did want to share some links I have w/ some good info on it:

http://www.herniasolutions.com

http://www.hernia.com/

http://www.herniainfo.com

Inguinal hernia:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00364

hernia overview:
www.herniabrief.com

Hernia repair, surgery:
http://www.surgerychannel.com/herniarepair/

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...304#post496304

Understanding Hernia -- the Basics:

Quote:
What Is a Hernia?
A hernia occurs when an organ or tissue squeezes through a hole or a weak spot in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue called fascia. The most common types are inguinal, incisional, femoral, umbilical, and hiatal.

In an inguinal hernia, the intestine or the bladder protrudes through the abdominal wall or into the inguinal canal in the groin. About 80 percent of all hernias are inguinal, and most occur in men because of a natural weakness in this area.

What Causes Hernias? Ultimately, all hernias are caused by a combination of pressure and an opening or weakness of muscle or fascia: The pressure pushes an organ or tissue through the opening or weak spot. Sometimes the muscle weakness is present at birth; more often, it occurs later in life. Poor nutrition, smoking, and overexertion all can weaken muscles and make hernias more likely. Anything that causes an increase in pressure in the abdomen can then cause a hernia, including obesity, lifting heavy objects, diarrhea or constipation, or persistent coughing or sneezing.
What Are the Symptoms?
For inguinal, femoral, umbilical, and incisional hernia:
An obvious swelling beneath the skin of the abdomen or the groin; it may disappear when you lie down and may be tender.
A heavy feeling in the abdomen that is sometimes accompanied by constipation or blood in the stool.
Discomfort in the abdomen or groin when lifting or bending over.

How Do I Know If I Have It?
A doctor's physical examination is often enough to diagnose a hernia. Sometimes hernia swelling is visible when you stand upright; usually, the hernia can be felt if you place your hand directly over it and then bear down. Ultrasound may be used to see a femoral hernia, and abdominal X-rays may be ordered to identify a bowel obstruction. What Are the Treatments? In babies, umbilical hernias frequently heal themselves within four years, making surgery unnecessary. For all others, the standard treatment is conventional hernia-repair surgery (called herniorrhaphy). It is possible to simply live with a hernia and monitor it. The main risk of this approach is that the protruding organ may become strangulated (have its blood supply cut off), and infection and tissue death may occur as a result. A strangulated intestinal hernia may result in intestinal obstruction, causing the abdomen to swell. The strangulation can also lead to infection, gangrene, intestinal perforation, shock, or even death. Conventional Medicine Your doctor may manually press your hernia back into place and advise you to wear a special belt, known as a truss, that holds a hernia in place until surgery. Over-the-counter analgesics can help ease discomfort. Hernia surgery is performed under either local or general anesthesia. The surgeon repositions the herniated tissue and, if strangulation has occurred, removes the oxygen-starved part of the organ. The damaged muscle wall will then be repaired. Increasingly, inguinal herniorrhaphy is performed using a laparoscope, a thin, telescope-like instrument that requires smaller incisions and involves a shorter recovery period. Patients often walk around the day after hernia surgery. There are usually no dietary restrictions, and work and regular activity may be resumed in a week. Complete recovery takes three to four weeks, with no heavy lifting for at least three months. Hernias often return after surgery, so preventive measures are especially important to avoid a recurrence.

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/c.../10/1680_54702
Good Luck ((Sue)) Pls let us know how your upcoming tests goes...(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 06:44 PM

Thanks so much, ladies!

~Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register