Is it all in my head??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it all in my head??? Is it all in my head???

Unread 03-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Is it all in my head???

I am feeling extremely low this past week. I went to gp last week for several reasons. One of which is I have been having pain in the area where they removed my ovary. The pain is sometimes sharp and stabbing, or dull achy, or pulling. He did a palpatation of the area and said he could not feel anything. I was not having any diverticulitis symptoms, or IBS. And he made the comment "Well I'm not sure what it can be since there is nothing in that area anymore". He was stumped. Well he gave me some pain meds... And they help, but the pain comes back. I have a follow up appt today. I don't know what to say. My surgical report mentioned adhesive disease involving the left pelvic wall, and does not mention removal of it... So now I am wondering... I'm not sure what he will do. Send me back to the gyn. Then I will feel stupid, like I am questioning his surgical abilities. Is a lap the only way to see adhesions? I'm afraid he will want to do that, go in and find nothing..... Then I will feel like a complete idiot. I'm not sure what to say or do at this point. Any thoughts? I'm a little embarrased that I feel this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Is it all in my head???

Susie:

Oh hon, don't feel embarrassed. Sounds like it's in your abdomen, not your head...

You have to ask questions to get answers.

Your pain needs to be addressed. I am quite sure that you are not an idiot. I hope that both of your docs are being supportive. If not, there are other docs who will be.

Remember, just because a doc says "I don't know" it doesn't mean he/she doesn't care or doesn't believe you. It means that he/she does not know....they can't know everything....and that's why we get referred until we find someone who can help.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. Know that you deserve the best outcome that is possible for you. I'll keep you in my ers.
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Is it all in my head???

((((Susie))))) I'm so sorry you're having all this pain I agree that you shouldn't be embarassed: it's not in your head and you have a right to ask the questions in order to ensure that you are ok.

Sending tons of s your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Is it all in my head???

I know just how you feel! I kept my ovaries though and am so sure there is something going on where they are. But I was so sure of that before my hysterectomy and they were healthy ovaries when my doctor was in there, so I would think they would be healthy ovaries now, 10 months later. I just have so much pain that I KNOW something is wrong.....but what if my doctor does a lap and he finds nothing? I think I would feel a little embarassed and feel like it was a waste of time for everyone......but my other thought is, atleast I will know for sure that there is nothing wrong(or maybe there will be something and then I'll know). You need to just let your doctor's know how you are feeling and push for answers. Like I said, I know how you feel, but I also know I don't deserve to live in this pain.....and I don't think I should have to let it go on and on, especially if there is something wrong that will only get worse with time.

Let us know what happens 's
Unread 03-17-2003, 01:33 PM
(((( Pasdechat ))))

You are reading my mind. That is my exact fear that they will get in there and say... Nope nothing wrong, no adhesions...
And I will look like a hypochondriac... I have a feeling my gp IS going to send me back to they gyn... Oh well, I will know soon about that... And I will just chin up and go. Thank you for the support... Atleast I know I am not alone...
Unread 03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
SusieQ

's are on their way to you right now!!

You shouldn't be in so much pain and agony...and your pain is not in your head.

I just had a "diagnostic lap" done this past Friday for adhesions. That is the only way they can diagnose adhesions After suffering through 4 intense months of pain, PT and anything else that gave me relief, my GYN did the lap and found massive adhesions. She but them away and now I'm on the mend.

My GYN did not feel I had adhesions at all, but...because I'd done everything possible to rid the pain (even and MRI) the surgery was the next step. I love my doc but I'll bet her face fell off when she saw the mess in there!

BTW, I always felt it was adhesions...and that just goes to show you we know our own bodies pretty well.

And, I thought what if she doesn't find anything...and even thought, "maybe I should cancel this". I'm so thankful I went through with it. And you will be too...Think of it as a "diagnostic lap" - because that is what it is, and if yoru doc finds those pesky things in there, they can be treated right there and you'll be glad you went for it.

Good luck to you

Lori
Unread 03-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Is it all in my head???

Oh dear girls I know how you feel!!!! Why do we doubt ourselves when we know we are in pain??? I am so sorry you all feel this way on top of having pain.

Here is my very recent story - hopefully it will help you realise you are not all loopy

I had hyst 2001 kept ovaries. Since then pain in lower abd and around ovaries got progressively worse. I also had bowel problems with the pain.

In the last 2 months I have see a gastroenterologist and a general surgeon. I have had colonoscopy, barium meal, a million blood tests, CAT scan and more... ALL came back showing nothing much, possible cyst on ovary they said was "nothing" cysts on liver, also told nothing to worry abt.

I KEPT telling them it was cyclical and asking if it could be endo returning or adhesions.

I felt like I was going insane. All these intrusive tests and nothing, was SURE the doctors were ready to send me to a psych.

I was then scheduled for gastroscopy last friday. However in the week before my pain was so bad I couldn't wait and went weeping to my lovely GP. He listened (maybe crying works sometimes LOL) and sent me right off to the gyn who did my hyst.

So they (postponed) the gastroscopy, I had a lap on friday and guess what.......... ADHESIONS!!!!! possibly also endo (I get results back later today when I have my stitches out). He removed both ovaries even though before the op he told me he was sure he would not have to.

When I saw the surgeon after the op I was full of demerol and can't remember the conversation. I keep wondering if I yelled I TOLD YOU SO at him LOL, I kind of wish I did!

Don't doubt your own bodies - and keep asking questions and telling them how you feel till you get answers.

I had been keeping a journal since early Jan of all my symptoms and I think this really helped me convince even myself that it was not "all in my head".

good luck to you all, wishing you lovely docs and no more pain.. Steph
Unread 03-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Thank you sisters!

Well I just got back from GP... He has told me to go back to the gyn. Could be adhesions, but it is definitely a gyn thing. Well I will have to wait until April 1st, my gyn will be on vacation until then.... How appropriate, April fools day! So I have my pain med's to keep me ok until then.... Thank you for all your posts... I know this may sound funny, but if I must have a lap, I don't know why, but I am scared to death. Perhaps it is just because it's another surgery.... What kind of recovery time does that take... A couple days? It is outpatient right? I feel so silly not knowing. to all my sisters.
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Is it all in my head???

Susie, So glad you got to see the doc but sorry you now have a wait.

My lap was done as a day patient. I went in at 7am and got out at 6pm. As I mentioned before I had adhesions removed and my ovaries taken out.

I too was scared and thought that "taking bits out" would make it a recovery like hyst. For me it has been easier than that. Really!

I am now day 4 and feel up to driving to the docs this afternoon for stitch removal and to find out all the reports.

Tomorrow I plan to go out for dinner with DH and colleagues, could never have done that after hyst huh?

Not saying I am not sore, and I do have some gas pain, but nothing that ibuprofen and naps can't fix

Truly I am just glad that this should finally end the pain I had before.

Let us know how it goes on the first, good luck
Steph
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi Susie...

I think the recovery time depends upon the individual and the amount of work done, etc. But, Steph is right...it's generally a Day Surgery proceedure. I went in at Noon, surgery was at 1:30 and I was home around 7.

Today, Day 4....I'm still sore but as each day passes the soreness is less and less. Today, I only had to take 1 pain pill and some Ibuprofen. And, I'm using ice packs off and on.

As with any surgery, you should take it easy adding activity as tolerated and of course with your doctors advise. After all, it may have been TOO much activity TOO soon after my hyster that started this adhesion mess...who knows??? My body is one that does make alot of scar tissue when traumatized (from previous shoulder surgery) so it could have just been Mother Nature at work too.

In the meantime, perphaps starting a list of questions for the doctor would help you wait out the time until April 1st.

Good Luck to you and hopefully everything will be a breeze...

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register