Well, I just don't know who else to ask....help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well, I just don't know who else to ask....help? Well, I just don't know who else to ask....help?

Unread 03-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, I just don't know who else to ask....help?

I never imagined I'd be here asking for help on Endometrial cancer, but here I am.

My wonderful mother-in-law was diagnosed this past Friday with stage III Endometrial Cancer. My husband and I are stunned.

The research I've done so far says pretty much the same thing regarding treatment; a radical hysterectomy followed by radiation. This was the original plan to be followed once additional transfusions to replace some of the massive quantities of blood she lost on Thrusday were complete.

However, today she met with her doctors who informed her that because she has Muscular Dystrophy, they have opted to forgo altogether the hysterectomy and instead only offer her the radiation treatments.

This is of great concern to me! I just read that *not* having a hysterectomy when diagnosed with Endometrial cancer decreases overall survival rates by approx 20%. This comes after reading that the 5 year survival rate for stage III cancer is around 30%.

What I need are some informative links which would help me clearly understand the rationale' behind her docs not offering surgery. Or, at the least, a shove in the direction leading me to such information. I would like to know what I was talking about before I march into the hospital and demand she have a hysterectomy!

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated by myself and my dear MIL. She has unwavering faith that I will be able to learn enough so that I can conclusively stand behind whatever treatment she is going to be given to battle this cancer--Or inform her otherwise.

I can't let her down.

Thank you so very much!

Ami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Ami, I'm Sorry to Hear About Your MIL

I can't help directly because I have another cancer. One place to start might be with the Muscular Dystrophy Association and see what they might have to say about MD and hysterectomy. Also, are her doctors gynecological/oncologists? They should be. Can you get a second opinion at a major cancer center? I'd check out some more resources and see what they may recommend or learn why the hysterectomy isn't recommended. Good luck and ers for your MIL.
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM

s Ami

You are a dear DIL!!! My own cancer was ovarian, but I agree fully with Margaret. Get a second opinion and make sure it is with a gyn oncologist. Maybe even a third opinion if you should need a majority.
Best wishes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Good information

Ami, the government actually has a very good web site on cancer of all types - www.nci.nih.gov . And you can call for info also 1-800-4CANCER . I have called a few times for info via phone on DCIS. They also sent me a big packet of info including, but not limited to, a lot printed from the web site.

Good luck, Mary D.
Unread 03-17-2003, 07:54 PM

{{Ami}}

Oh hon! I'm so sorry to hear that your MIL is going through this. I wholeheartedly agree with the other gals, second or third opinions with a Gyn Oncologist or Cancer Center.

There alot of links on this thread that are geared toward Various Cancers and treatments. Hopefully some of these might help as well......

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=1434

I hope you both will be able to find more information and that she'll get the best care possible. I'm glad to see you posting, I've missed you gal but sure wish it was under better circumstances.

Let us know how things go.

{{{hugs}}}

Vicki
Unread 03-18-2003, 09:06 AM

Ami,

I wonder if her doctors said WHY the MD would keep them from operating. I also have MD (the form is undetermined). I do know that in some forms of MD, anesthesia can be dangerous, however, that is not true of all forms! I DID have a radical hysterectomy, and I had no problems at all. Of course, every case is different, and you have to help your MIL make decisions based on her situation.

Your MIL is probably under the care of a neurologist (this is the type of doctor who usually treats MD) and possibly she even attends MD clinics which are usually affiliated with major teaching hospitals. I think it would be good to talk with her neurologist or whoever handles the MD, discuss this with them, and then if they are okay with the surgery, let THEM get in touch with the gyn/onc who didn't want her to have the surgery. Of course, if her form of MD is one they have to be careful about with surgery, then you all may have to rethink the situation, but if not, then perhaps her doctors can come to some sort of agreement.

Whatever the doctors end up deciding, of course you will have to abide by. I hope that maybe checking around will either give you a different answer OR give you peace that you have looked into all the possibilities. Good luck on your quest and to your MIL!

Joanie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register