New symptoms, making things WORSE!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New symptoms, making things WORSE!! New symptoms, making things WORSE!!

Unread 03-18-2003, 12:05 PM
New symptoms, making things WORSE!!

Hi sisters...

I have some problems I am hopeing someone can try to explain.. As most of you know I have stress incontinence, cystocele and rectocele. I have had THIS problem for about a week now..

When I go to the bathroom and have to have a BM I can not urinate at all. It is like something is blocking my bladder. Before, I urinated everytime I had to have a BM whether I felt the urge or not, it just came out, more than likely caused from the incontinence. But I have not had this problem of not being able to pee when my bowels are full. Can the rectocele cause this? It is driving me crazy!! I also can never have a complete BM. It is like I go half way, get up and walk around and the rest is ready to come out. Sometimes I will go to wipe and I start going again without any urge. Sorry it is so graphic, at least I did not draw you all a picture though..

Thanks ladies!!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2003, 01:09 PM
((((PAM)))))

I can actually address both your issues. I had stress incontinence, a rectocele and cyctocele before my hyst... YES the full bladder can impair the ability to relieve the bladder as both of these type of problems are failures of the supporting structures and they bulge into each other... As for the rectocele, and not being able to finish, that is the classic symptom of the rectocele. Again the vagina pushing into the bowels causing a blockage so to speak.

I had a bladder sling done for my incontinance, WOOOO HOOOO good now... and I had both the rectocele and cyctocele repaired with hyst.. Now I go like a normal person, and don't have the problems I used to.

Sorry you are having to deal with these yucky issues... They really do drive you nuts.... I completely understand... Hang in there..... ' s .
Unread 03-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks Susie

WOW, you are a pro at that question!!!

The way you put it, it makes alot of sense.. Thanks.

I can not wait to have normal bathroom habits!! I sometimes think (as I sit for an hour on the toilet everyday) that it can be worse than the pain for me. Add hemerroids on top of it and you have a BIG mess!! Too bad I already had my kids, this would be very good practice at how to give birth!!

All I can say is thank god I have not gotten constipated yet..

I pray that I do not have to wait long after my lap to have all of the repairs done. I am not patient at all. I also wonder what the recovery is like.

If anyone has had the repairs done AFTER their hyst I would love to hear what it is like afterwards. I know I will not be able to sit for a while because of the hemerriodectomy, but what is the pain rate for the repairs? Also, what do they do to repair rectocele? I am having the sling made out of fasha for my bladder, but what do they do with the bowels? Why did the chicken cross the road?

Here I go with my 1000000 questions. Be prepared, I am sure as the dates get closer I am going to be a nervous wreck. I just HATE the thought of being laid up yet again. Thank god it is not summer or I would really be upset missing out on the beautiful weather. Like I will really put my big butt in a bathing suit right now anyway..

Thanks for the info.....

to all!!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Your Welcome!!!

So glad to help.... Let's see if I can answer a few more... They used my own fascia for the sling... So if that is the case for you I have a 4-5 inch lower abdominal incision where they got the fascia for... They used staples for that.. No biggie there... They used a supra-pubic cathetor, which is also called an s-p tube. That is inserted into the bladder above the pubic bone, and stiched to the skin.... I called it my little johnson....LOL! That to me was annoying as it is in place we do not usually have anything. For me, because of the a&p repairs, my pelvic floor was so weak, they also sent me home with a foley cath. Wow two for the price of one.... I felt nothing from the a&p repairs... I can only imagine what the hemmoroid thing is... Didn't have that... But dh did, and he said to the nurses, if this is what birth is like, NO THANKS... LOL... Be prepared for the bladder to give you some grief too.... It really gets pee'd off when it is handled.... I had to deal with bladder spasms, and that is pretty common.

I am happy to fill you in anytime. That is what I'm here for.. I know sometimes it is hard to find information on the sling part of the deal... So I just gave you some of my .... Good luck and feel free to contact me anytime.

Good Luck Pam....
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:51 PM
hugs

Hi,
I agree with Susie. Everything she said is true of my experience as well. I had the rectocele repair 8 months after my hyst in Aug. 2001. My urogyn said it was a posterior repair, and I had an incision similar to episiotomy (given during childbirth) at the vaginal opening. That was hard to deal with. It did help the rectocele problem though. I am now 20 days post-op from the bladder sling, so I can't yet give you any insight on how well it has worked. I still have a catheter and it is very uncomfortable. I am getting a cystogram on Friday, and if all is well they will remove the cath, but I may have to self cath for a while - oh how fun huh? In essence I have not dealt with all the repairs at the same time. I had hyst and Burch bladder repair in 2000, but the Burch failed which is why I now had to have the sling. I totally understand how you feel though, and I will pray you get the healing you deserve from the surgeries once and for all.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 03-18-2003, 09:07 PM
New symptoms, making things WORSE!!

Thanks ladies!!!

I am not too thrilled about having it all done at once, (hemerroids, bladder and bowel) but I thought I might as well get it over with since I also have to have the lap. I REALLY do not want 3 surgeries.

Fortunatly she is going to use cadaver fashia instead of my own so I do not have to worry about dealing with one more thing. Have you heard if one is better than the other? Can my body reject something foreign and what are the odds?

She told me that if I can go pee before I am discharged the next day then I can go home without the catheter. Oh how I am going to for that!!

Druid, I have a horrible memory here, what type of sling procedure did you have and why do you STILL have to have the catheter? I can just imagine how that must feel to have it for so long, you must be so uncomfortable. I will be praying that your cystogram goes well and they let you throw that catheter off the nearest bridge..

Thanks again for the information. It puts my mind at ease a bit having some of my questions answered..

Pam
Unread 03-19-2003, 11:10 AM
bladder sling

Hi pam,
I had a bladder sling and the urologist used my own fascia. He told me it may make the surgery slightly longer, but preferred to use my own tissue. My case turned out pretty complicated because I had a burch procedure with my hyst in 2000 and the urologist said he encountered a lot ofscar tissue and had to basically undo the former burch, remove bad stitches and I ended up with a small hole because of that which he said he fixed right away during the surgery. He did not want me to have the suprapublic cath because he thought my bladder was too weak and did not want another incision in my bladder - so I ended up with the foley. It is miserable - I'm 3 weeks today with this awful tube and leg bag. I am praying very hard that the cystogram shows the bladder has healed so the urologist will remove the foley. He told me I may have to self-cath for a while, I've never done that, to make sure the bladder is emptying ok. I also hope I don't have to do that for very long. I believe some ladies have experience with self-cath though. At this point, I'll take that over having this foley - it just plain feels sore and hurts and I get spasms which are awful. I keep saying all will be worth it when I am finally healed - my stress incontinence was really bad - I peed my pants even if I walked up the stairs. So I basically decided I had to go through this and give it one last try. You are in my prayers - ask me any questions.
Live, Light, Blessings
Driud
Unread 03-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Cadavar Fascia

I think the only reason to use your own fascia is for rejection reasons... Anything foreign, even synthetic, can be rejected by the body... Each surgeon is different and has their reasons. Make sure you discuss any concerns you have with them.

Druid, ! I hope you get the foley out soon. I know how miserable they can be. I had mine just about as long, and the sp tube.... Twofers!!! How terrible to have the burch fail so soon. Yikes.

Take care sisters!!! I can do that now...LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register