Liver Function Compromised? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Liver Function Compromised? Liver Function Compromised?

Unread 03-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Liver Function Compromised?

I just got the test results from last week's blood test.

Everything looks good, except the SGOT, liver function test, is at 96. I guess normal is around 40. My doctor asked if that was normal for me.

I've had several blood tests in the last year. In July the SGOT was 36, it raised to 55 in October and now 96?

She asked if I drank alcohol and I do drink white wine most evenings, a few glasses with dinner.

I started researching things that could affect the liver and have found a few things that may have caused this for me: trauma from surgery, anethesia, antibiotics, pain meds & last but not least HRT.

I'm going to see my doctor on Monday and will discuss this with her.

My own opinion is that the level will improve over the next year, if I don't have all the medications and proceedures that I have had this last year.

Has anyone else had their SGOT level change after their hyst or other surgeries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2003, 02:34 PM

Hi there,

wow, sorry about those results. Have you been on HRT since having your ovaries removed? (I see it wasn't all that long ago, so I don't know whether it could have affected your liver function so quickly.) In any event, these results might affect your choice of HRT from now on. Maybe a patch would be safer for you than a pill? I'm sure your doc will have some suggestions.

the other point, of course, is the wine drinking. I too like wine, but I've been trying to cut down, mostly because of calories. Anyway, whereas one glass is probably good for us, several glasses most evenings probably aren't. You might want to try cutting back on the alcohol, especially if you'll be on HRT.

good luck, and let us know what your doc suggests!
Unread 03-19-2003, 05:26 PM

CMCM:

I had been on Premarin and Progestone for about 7 years prior to my hyst. I've tried Menest, then Premarin after the hyst. I am now on Estratest after removal of the ovaries and tubes.

So, don't know that the HRT is the culprit. I intend to curb the alcohol consumption....my only vice! Don't smoke or eat lots of sweets. I even lost 25 lbs since the hyst. Not overweight, just pleasantly plump according to my husband.

I just wondered if anyone else had this happen after lots of medical problems & medications.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2003, 07:30 PM
THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME..

HELLO,

I AM ONLY 4 MONTHS AND I KNOW THAT 2 MONTHS AFTER MY TAH/BSO/APPENDECTOMY MY LIVER FUNCTION (SGOT)TEST CAME BACK ABNORMAL AND I HAD BEEN ON ALOT OF MEDS AND HAD PREVIOUS SURGERIES ALSO AND ONE OF THE CULPRIT WAS ANYTHING WITH IBUPROFEN AND ALSO TYLENOL 3 THAT I WAS ON FOR PAIN AND INFLAMMATION. SO THE DR TOOK ME OFF OF ALL OF IT AND 2WKS LATER DID ANOTHER LIVER TEST AND I WAS OK. THE DR. IS GOING TO DO ANOTHER ONE AT MY SIX MONTHS POST HYST VISIT. I AM STILL ON A FEW MEDS FOR MY ADHESION PAIN AND IBS. SO I AM HAVING MY LIVER WATCHED CAREFULLY..

I DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS. BUT JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WITH ME.. HUGS AND PRAYERS NICKY
Unread 03-19-2003, 09:45 PM

Thanks, Sadly.

I feel fine and don't have jaundice or pale stools.....I think that happens when you are really in trouble.

I'll just make sure they check periodically.

We have to be our own advocates when it comes to health care. I've learned that the hard way.
Unread 03-19-2003, 10:40 PM

(((Kris))), how long have you been on Estratest, and which dose, HS or FS?

The methyltestosterone in Estratest is many times stronger than natural testosterone... it has to be to survive its trip through the digestive system before it hits your bloodstream. Your liver breaks it down, and the breakdown products can accumulate in your liver and can cause liver function problems in some women, especially at the higher dosage. You might want to explore using a compounded natural testosterone cream which would bypass the liver and enable you to take a much lower dosage to get the same result.

Also I agree about the alcohol... one (or even two) glasses of wine are generally considered to be a good thing, but more than that is not. And also consider other meds you may have been on over the past several years.... even Motrin is known to cause liver problems for some patients when taken long term.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-20-2003, 07:57 AM

((((Kris))))) I'm so sorry you're having these problems

I'm not on HRT (yet) but I have been taking pain meds, especially anti-inflammatories, for some time now and my doctors are concerned that this will affect both my liver functions and my blood pressure. That's why I only take the anti-inflammatories when the arthritic pain flares.

I also know that Tylenol, which I will normally take for breakthrough pain, can play havock with your liver. So I've been careful in that area.

Where the wine is concerned, I agree with the others: moderation is the key. I know that can be a little hard, since I also like white wine

I'm glad that both you and your doctor are keeping an eye on it Take care (((sweetie)))). Please keep us posted.
Unread 03-20-2003, 10:40 AM

Surferbabe:

I had just started the Estratest on March 6th and the blood test was taken March 11th. I had been on Premarin 1.25.

The dose is 1.25 estrogen/2.5 testosterone (sp).

I also just changed from Vicodin to Tylenol 3 at the same time.

I had been taking Vicodin from Feb 12th.

I have been keeping a journal of all the drugs and proceedures I've had over the last year. March 19th was my 1 yr anniversary for my hyst. I'd advise anyone that is having surgery or on going health problems to keep a diary or journal. It's too hard to remember what happened and what worked or caused problems when you try to recreate the events later.

Thanks, again for the helpfull advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register