Another bladder question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another bladder question Another bladder question

Unread 03-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Another bladder question

Hi, I'm hoping for some experienced voices! Am wondering, if any of you had a problem with UTI's, bladder spasms, etc. after surgery (I am 8 weeks post from TVH w/cystocele & rectocele) did they end up eventually resolving on their own (or w/antibiotics)?

I just finished my second round of antibiotics (first Macrobid and then Cipro) and Uristat for spasms. I am still feeling that full feeling of having to pee, seems like I could be in the bathroom every 10 minutes without relief. But sometimes I am ok for quite a while. There were no bacteria in the culture but doc prescribed antibiotics in case. Am taking lot's of cranberry juice. We are totally snowed in today. Am expecting a call from doc anyway in the next day of two re: results of an ultrasound for gall bladder pain (is minor but nagging for over a year).
So I am wondering, did any of this just "go away" for you, or did you end up needing further treatment in order to resolve all. Could you send me to any links for interstitial cystitis?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Another bladder question

Cathy!

Sorry you are dealing with this. Several here have had bladder issues post hyst. I'm sure others will be along shortly to share their experiences with you.

My gyn told me that extended bladder issues are quite frequent after a hyst. I am 5 months post from a TAH/LSO and have had intermittent problems with spasms and urgency. I even had blood in my urine up until 10 weeks post, but no bacteria. I've tried Pyridium, Ditropan XL, Nexium and even a round of Macrobid to little avail. I have noticed that my bladder seems quite "sensitive" to things I eat or drink....fruit juice, coffee, cola and the Lortab I take for FMS.

Guess I'm not much help, but do know that you aren't alone.
Unread 03-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Another bladder question

Cathy,

I'm sorry you are dealing with this sister, sending s your way with hopes of some real resolutions soon. I don't have any experience with some of the bladder issues you are asking but I did find these links in some past post of SHERI. You can do an add'l search by going to the SEARCH mode and typing in interstitial cystitis to see others info they have posted.

Here ya go:
http://www.interstitialcystitis.co.uk/
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_cystitis.html

Big s,
lenee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Another bladder question

Hello Cathy

Sorry to hear your still having difficulties with the pesky bladder. I sure know how that can be..

Having IC myself, one of the food/beverage items on the no-no list is cranberries! I know, logical choice for a bladder infection, right? But not for someone with IC.

I've been buying low acid OJ and diluting it 50/50 with water. I drink ALOT of water every day ...the more you drink the more you pee but, with IC the more diluted the urine is, the less irritating it is on the ulcers.

As VBjacks5 said, it's not uncommon to have bladder issues after hysterctomy. They are pretty delicate little things...

If your symptoms do not improve, perhaps a call to your is in order, or a referral to a Uro???

Best wishes to you 's

Lori
Unread 03-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Another bladder question

Hi Cathy,
I can sympathize with you because I am going thru the same thing. Have been on three different antibiotics for UTI and the Cipro for the infection and Pyridium for bladder spasms is finally taking hold. I am today finally able to leave the house, where before I had to stay near the bathroom. I would advise staying away from any caffine or citrus.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Another bladder question

Cathy, I just want to echo what others have said about the cranberry juice and other juices. I finally figured out that those juices irritate my bladder and make me feel like I have an infection when a urine culture shows none. I need to do better about drinking a lot of water - I do drink more than I ever used to, but still not enough.
Unread 03-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Another bladder question

Wow, thanks for the info on the juice. I had even more than usual this morning and have had a worse day. That would make sense now. Also wanted to add, besides not having bacteria, they did see blood in my urine. Wonder then if some of this will get better with time as healing takes place and watching what I eat...but I will mention it to my doctor when she calls about the ultrasound. Also am having tiny bit of pink spotting off and on these last couple of days on tissue in the bathroom after I go, not any more spotting than that. Urine is clear not cloudy. Will ask her about that too. Wonder if I will be referred to a urologist.
We are so snowed in that no-one is taking anything other than emergency calls right now, I will wait until tomorrow and see if she calls. Thanks for the links as well. That helps a lot.
PS With this storm I could really get carried away playing with the smilies! Will have to check out the practise forum! Going :eyes: with everyone cooped up here!
Cathy
Unread 03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Another bladder question

Thanks Sheri for all those links! I think you wrote in at the same time I did. :
It sure helps to know I am not the only one going through this.
Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register