A nine year old getting her period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A nine year old getting her period A nine year old getting her period

Unread 03-21-2003, 12:18 PM
A nine year old getting her period

My middle daughter started her menstrual cycle in February. I was floored! She'd put on some weight so I attributed the breast development I noticed to that and when she said her tummy hurt, I thought it was just a tummy ache.

But it wasn't. We just survived cycle #2. I'm not at my wit's end; she's coping very well, but she's just TOO young!

Did anyone else go through this themselves or have a child who did? Any advice on hygiene issues, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 12:41 PM

I started my periods when I was 9, and my oldest dd started when she was 10. My 2nd dd didn't start until age 13 and my other two dd's are only 2.5 & 14 months. I guess since I started so young myself, I didn't find it odd that my oldest did too. But it isn't really all that uncommon these days. There's a lot of speculation as to why, but I don't recall reading anything conclusive.
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:04 PM

There's some speculation that this is becoming more common because of increased amounts of endocrine disruptors in our environment. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals which mimic the effects of estrogens and other hormones in the bodies of humans (and other species). In other words, they act like the products of our endocrine glands (thyroid, ovaries, testes, etc.) but with somewhat unpredictable effects on our bodies. Residues of various pesticides and growth hormones in food and water are big suspects. However, it's always difficult to pinpoint a cause and effect relationship in a single case, because we obviously can't do controlled experiments on humans.

Then again, there have always been both early and late bloomers among us; heredity may play a big part too. Glad to hear your DD is coping well with all of this.

Juliepede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 01:39 PM

I started my period when I was ten years old. I was probably the youngest of any of my friends to start. I thought it was normal then, but looking back now, most of my friends started around 12 or 13. My dd didn't start until she was almost 17, but she's had a lot of female problems since, poor kid.

After almost 30 years of periods, I'm glad I'm done with that forever!!

Lisa
Unread 03-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Wink - A nine year old getting her period A nine year old getting her period

Poor girl! I too started at the ripe old age of 9 (now44). Hope your dd doesn't have to go through as many years as me. (LSH 1/6/03) I hope you had spoken with her (previous to the event) about things so she wasn't as shocked as I was. My mom, (as most mom's back then) didn't talk to me about any of this and I thought I was dying. I started in school and the nurse (Nurse Cratchet) was less then ready in elementary school for such a thing. She didn't call mom and tell her what was happening, and didn't have supplies for me. So what did she do, told me just to go to the bathroom and put a wad of toilet paper between my legs and talk to mom when I got home. She never told me what was happening to me! When I got home, mom told me that I wasn't dying but, because she only used tampons, thought that, what the hell, it would be more convienient and more discrete for me. She sent me off to the bathroom with a box of tampons (Supers) and said read the instructions and grin and bare it. Imagine the horror of a nine year old learning to use a tampon. Not at all a wonderful memory.

Anyway, just explain to your dd the need to keep clean, explain how to be neat about disposal, not to be embarrased too much if she has a leak (we all do at least once in our life). I always had my dd carry a change of undies and pants with them during their time of the month. Tell her not to be embarrased if by some chance a boy finds her supplies and asks what they are. Just tell the boy that they are for something that they probably wouldn't understand anyway.

My oldest dd started at 10, youngest dd at 12. They were so much luckier than I was, because I started looking for the signs around age 9 and had always been open with them as to what and why things went on with me. I vowed the day I had them that they would not be uninformed. I also had asked my GYN if it was likely to happen to them since they were my dds. He told me that it was very likely, especially since it happened at 9 with my mom and my younger sister too.

I think, now that I look back, that it is really harder on us as mothers, because we know that our babies are growing up fast.

Good Luck
Unread 03-21-2003, 03:36 PM

I think one of the biggest reasons I was so shocked is because I was a pretty late bloomer (15) myself so I never expected her to start so young. Plus, my oldest daughter is eleven and is showing now signs at all.

Now I realize that it's not just my genetics involved. The girls have different fathers and after talking to my beloved Mom in law, she's let me know that she was only a little older than DD is now.

My grandmother never told my mom what to expect and I remember her stories of how frightened she was, how she thought she was sick (and she was 17 at the time!) For that reason I've made sure that both girls are well informed about all aspects; if you ask my eleven year old, they're too well informed. Whenever one of her younger sibs asks me a question she always says 'don't ask her THAT, you KNOW she's gonna talk for half an HOUR now!' :lol

My mother had prepared me, basically well enough for what was to happen and I was very thankful. However, when the actual day came, my DAD was the only person available for consult. We were both pretty uncomfortable. Fortunately, DD had me and not her Dad though I'm sure he would have handled it adriotly and w/ as much sensitivity as a 6'4" mechanic can muster.

We're also very lucky that her teachers and the school nurse were super supportive and understanding. I felt a little silly calling to talk to them about something like this. If she had been even in fifth or sixth grade, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but in 3rd I thought they should know. Turns out it was a good thing. Those pesky pads are a little hard to master and DD says her teacher took her to the bathroom and helped her change when she needed. The nurse also let me know that she always had extra clothing and supplies on hand if the need arose.

The only real problem we've seen so far was that DD has something of a big mouth (wonder where she got THAT from) d promptly pretty much announced it to her whole class. The teacher did call to say perhaps it would be good if we all had a talk about being discreet.

I think what I'm most concerned about is that this little girl of mine has been followed by boys most of her life. In the last year, she put on some weight, so they had laid off, but now that the weight is starting to 'settle' into certain areas, they're starting up gain. I'm so worried. She knows 'the facts' but how do I stress that this is something she needs to be aware of NOW? She thinks it's still something that only 'grownups' can do. I can't seem to help her understand that according to her body, parts of her think they ARE grown up.

Please let me figure out how to get it through to her.
Unread 03-21-2003, 04:00 PM

I was 10, and funnily enough,even tho I was well prepared by my mum (embarrassingly so) it was also MY dad who was the only available parent on the fateful day!

As for my own daughters,they were 13 and 12. They, luckily don't seem to have the problems that I have always had, and are now 18 and 16.

Incidentally, I saw a documentary series on the tv about 'growing up' and the difference between girls and boys. Apparently, regardless of age, all girls in our society seem to start their periods when they reach 7 stones in weight.

And all of us with boys.please make sure to explain to them what happens to girls when they start their periods. It will help them understand, as they grow older, and be more sympathetic towards their girlfriends and wives. My sons (aged only 7 and 5) are wonderful at running for tampons and pads,fetching me clean underwear, and generally being sweet when I am in pain.

They are looking forward to my surgery as much as I am. In the words of my 7 yr old......

'Well it'll be sore for a bit......and then it will go away for ever,and you'll be better!'

s

Vicki x
Unread 03-21-2003, 04:22 PM

As she started shortly before I entered the hospital, the whole family joked about the end of one era and the beginning of the next.

She's the second child in a family of five, two brothers coming after her to be ended w/ the littlest princess (born in September). The oldest boy did start to tease her until I explained to him about how some parts of his body might soon be embarrassing him in rather public ways. That coupled w/ how only a few short years after conquering bedwetting he might have to deal w/ a different kind entirely. He's been sensitive ever since

I was concerned that the eleven year old might feel like she was backwards or under developed. Her response to that was "I'm GLAD it's not me! I feel bad for her, but I don't want THAT anyway!"

I guess that's a good thing

[edit: good luck to you, hope that waiting list goes very fast!]
Unread 03-21-2003, 05:44 PM

I was 9 1/2 yo when I started my periods. My mom was 10 but my sister was well past 13... so I guess there's a mixture of many things involved here: seems the women on my mom's side of the family start early and have a late menopause (my mom was almost 60 when she went through a very uneventful menopause). However, the women on my dad's side of the family have their periods late (my cousin started when she was almost 17) and have problems with fibroids. Therefore, I seem to take after both sides of the family

My DD is now 7 and, considering all of the problems have had with my periods, from day 1, I'm really dreading the day she turns into a "big girl" (I hate that expression: at not quite 10, I really didn't feel like a big girl).

I hope your precious DD has none of these problems and only experiences the positive side of womanhood
Unread 03-21-2003, 09:36 PM

My daughter started June of last year, she was 2 mo shy of her 13th BD. She is a little overweight and wears an almost C cup bra.
Never has complained of pain but this last cycle had a tummy ache
and missed 2 days of school. Its a reality check! my baby is growing up and now that I will be 40 next week its even harder.
The beginning and ending of an era is right (my hyster is in May).

Ding

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register