A nine year old getting her period - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A nine year old getting her period A nine year old getting her period

Unread 06-18-2003, 12:12 AM
A nine year old getting her period

There are stages (called "Tanner stages") that all girls go through. This is copied from Women's Health website :
  Quote:
Usually, breast budding is the first sign of puberty, followed by pubic hair growth and a growth spurt. Tanner Stage 1 is pre-pubertal. Tanner Stage 2 is characterized by small breast buds and "peach-fuzz" in the pubic area, and its average age is 11-12. During Stage 3, breast buds become larger and pubic hair growth continues, but it is mostly in the center and does not extend out to the thighs or upward. At about age 13 or 14, Stage 4 will occur, which includes noticeable growth of pubic hair, now in the triangular shape of adulthood. Underarm hair growth is noticeable, and breasts will now begin to take on a "mound" form. The first menstrual period usually occurs sometime during the fourth or fifth stage, usually at around 12 or 13 years. A girl has reached Tanner Stage 5 when her breasts are fully formed and her pubic hair is adult in quantity and type, forming the classical upside-down triangle shape common to women.
Many kids today eat a lot more soy, in both prepared products and soymilk, than did the previous generations. I do worry about my DD, who turns 8 this summer and who has lived on soy since she gave up the "boob food". We've already noticed the barest hint of "peach fuzz" on the target areas.
I started at 12, but I would bet she starts a whole lot earlier. I just that it goes easier for her. At least we know so much more than our mothers did! And my DD used to know about the bleeding part...like (((Karen's DD))) she's pretty aware of everything, more so since her dad and I are both in medicine and she is fascinated by anatomy. The fact that she's had three intestinal surgeries, too, makes her much more aware of anatomy than the average kid. We've talked about menstruation and some of its details in the past, when I was bleeding so much prior to my hyst. But I'll be she's forgotten!

to all girls going through this, especially to those so young. It forces them to have to understand far more than any 8 or 9 year old should ever have to hear about! The American Girl book is a good one, and geared for a wide variety of ages; it's available at www.americangirl.com .

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM

I was eleven when I had my first period, I thought that was way to young. Kay

Unread 12-12-2003, 06:56 PM

Audrey thanks for posting the American Girl link. I should start buying one soon. My dd is 7 now and sometime before her 8th birthday I want to talk to her about periods.

I started growing pubic hair at age 9 and when I went to girlscout camp at age 12 and took showers with the other girls, it seemed like I was the only one. I couldn't even ask questions without hearing "I'll tell you when you get older." I was getting older and I went from age 9-12 not telling anyone or knowing why I had hair down there. My mom must have thought I was to young at age 12 to be warned about having periods or any other things I was going through. She never informed me about them till after it was to late. By then I didn't want to talk to her because embarrassment had set in and I didn't want another "you don't need to know this" or "you're too young.". My father on the other hand who didn't live with us notified me of periods and I can talk to him about anything. It was on my own that I heard in sex ed classes in 7th grade about more stuff including why I had hair. I was 13 by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 11:15 AM

(((Karen))):

It's good to "see" you! How's your DD doing with the bladder problems?

The book is called, "Care and Keeping of Your Body" and is widely available, wherever American Girl books are sold, such as Barnes and Noble or Borders. Another book that we like is "The Period Book (Everything You Didn't Want to Ask but Need to Know)" which is also widely available or available through www.chinaberry.com.

I hope it all goes well for her!

Audrey
Unread 12-14-2003, 09:51 PM

My daughter is big for her age, turning 6 in a few days but weighs 70 lbs. I didn't begin until I was about 13 and my mother hadn't told me anything before that. I was the youngest of 5 girls too and none of them were told either. All she ever said to me when she found out by seeing my stained pants ( I guess) was, 'so you've started your period. Iguess we'll have to go get some things."
I want my daughter to be prepared...but what age do you tell them???? Especially if they are starting much younger in many cases now.
I'd also heard about the growth hormones in foods etc causing earlier developemnt. I know darned well I didn't look like many of the young girls I see today!!!
Unread 12-20-2003, 05:28 PM

I'm telling my dd before her 8th birthday. I almost took her with me to the gyn for my yearly check up and pap smear but when my dr. asked how my periods were and I said they were gone, I'm glad I decided to wait till next year. She knows a lot about other stuff like what a uterus is, why there are two openings in the genitals for girls and only one for boys, but I haven't told her anything about periods or what pads or tampons are. My son did ask me one day what they were and I just told him it was something for girls. When my daughter asked me one time if I needed any napkins another lady in the bathroom laughed and I did as well and said no I don't. She and son can both read very well. I tell them a little bit each time they ask a question to slowly give them the information so I don't give them to much at once. I started teaching them early on about the proper names for parts when they were potty training. DD has had her share of problems in that area with some UTI's vaginal adhesions as a baby and has been to a urologist. She also had to get catheterized at the hospital for a test and takes antibiotics every day for reflux.
There is a website here http://www.tampax.com/ctry_select.html
with information and a special section for girls, teens, and moms talking with their daughters. Click on your country and then go from there. The page is titled being a girl.com I think they start education for girls as young as 8 but I'm not sure. You can view the page as a guest. There is an option for younger teens or older teens. There is a bar on the top titled with many topics and then you can move your mouse to it to click on the options. Here is one link. http://www.beinggirl.com/en_US/teen/...uestid=5689784

There is even a section in the older teens area about gyn visits what to expect. Should be read in case any age girl needs to go. Here is the link for that. http://www.beinggirl.com/en_US/teen/...nooverview.xml
Unread 12-22-2003, 01:49 PM

I personally started my period when I was 12 but my older sister was also 9. BUT....the good news is that she's now 45 and has already gone through menopause (2 years ago). Maybe by starting so early you go through menopause early.
Unread 12-27-2003, 10:04 AM
I like the book

My husband went out to buy the book "The Care and Keeping of You" last night as we couldn't find it at the other Barnes and Nobel earlier. He asked the sales lady where he could find it and she showed him the American Girls selection. Hubby said I found out the opposite way and the sales lady said she did too. The lady said a lot of parents come into the store looking for that book because their daughters gynecologist or dr's recommended it. I didn't initially understand why younger girls would have to see a gyn but now I do. If they are open talking with their parents they can be treated if needed. I wasn't comfortable talking and I went through some stuff that should have made me go to the dr. earlier on. It was my husband that got me to finally go see a gyn because my mom never mentioned a thing about it or told me I should go see one.

From the looks some women weren't notified and others were. My mom wasn't informed by her mom so my mom didn't inform me and my sister once said to me that our mom shouldn't have repeated the same mistake her mom made.

Anyway the book is awesome. I can let dd read most of the book with me as there is only a few chapters toward the end of the book about puberty and perids. I thought I'd list the topics here in case if others are interested. The whole book has pictures of animated girls. It's titled for ages 8and up,

The first part has topics about hygeine, cleaning face, hair care, hair scare (how to get bubble gum out of hair with peanut butter) eyes, mouth, braces, sun sense, and skin.

Next topics, hands, underarms, breasts, and bras (there is something in there that tells you how to mesure yourself to get the right size bra which I never knew). Hmm.. I also saw on the Berman and Berman show for women about them doing a topic about how to get the right size bra because a lot of women didn't know how to find that out and they mentioned there are women wearing an incorrect size bra.

Third topics under Belly zone shapes and sizes, food nutrition, eating disorders, and body talk food.

The Big Changes topics are about pubic area, period, and body talk Period. (There is a page or two about animated girls inserting a tampon with instructions) It also tells girls what to do if they accidently start bleeding in school and what to do if they start at home before they can get supplies from mom or their sisters.

The last one titled On the Go talks about legs, feet, fitness, sports safety, rest, sleep troubles, and body talk sleep.
Unread 12-27-2003, 04:20 PM

I found a couple more links that may also be helpful.
Age at first Gyn visit
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=45278
Not only are women getting their periods earlier but many have a hysterectomy younger. I'm glad I didn't have to wait till menopause for relief.
KDiet said "And maybe the medical profession has changed its outlook somewhat in the past few years, with more doctors willing to discuss hysterectomies with younger women, instead of forcing them to live 15 or 20 years in pain and discomfort."

Age when you had hyst ? https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=35903
Unread 12-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Red face - A nine year old getting her period Starting early

My oldest daughter (I have 3) started her period at 10 years old. Contrary to what a lot of people say she was regular from the start every 28 days. Our Pediatrician said it could be a few things. Some say it is more hormones in our food, others say our children are eating healthier that they used to (mine do definitely), also, he said that her Greek ethnicity. Shelby is 13 now and doing very well. She showers every day and keeps very clean. Acne hasn't been a problem (yea) but she sure gets Crabby. That isn't the word I would like to use but it is best. All of her friends are just know starting so she is able to give a lot of advice. I too freaked out because she is sooo young but I had to buckle up and be the grown up. My middle daughter will be 10 in July so I'll let you know if this is a family pattern. Just hang in there and be sure to convince her that she is special and that she can get pregnant. My daughter thought I was crazy when I told her because she is so young but after I explained to physics she understood and freaked a bit. She has her head on straight so I am fortunate and now that she is 13 I can tell her she is a young woman now (emphasis on young) and that she should conduct herself as such. Good luck! If I can help at all you know how to find me.
Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register