A nine year old getting her period - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A nine year old getting her period A nine year old getting her period

Unread 12-27-2003, 08:31 PM
A nine year old getting her period

There's also some evidence out of Europe that girls may have some endometriosis PRIOR to the onset of menstruation and may have pain as early as eight years of age.

For any of you with DDs who have asthma, eczema, severe allergies, etc, realize that endo is a very real risk in these girls, especially if you had it too. My 8 yo DD is at particular risk for it, as she had three intestinal surgeries (first one at two days of age) and has known adhesions from those procedures. So yeah, I worry .

(((Karen))), glad you found the book. I think it's a nice compilation of all sorts of health-related things, that many parents don't even know, sort of like "Our Bodies, Ourselves" only in a young girl-friendly package . I'm going to order the other book, too, and we've already begun the discussion of what to watch for. My DD has a couple of 11 yo friends, one of whom started her periods early (she was born with no thyroid, so they said that her periods would be "eccentric"). So she has something of a model -- and her friend is having no pain or trouble with her periods so far, either, so there's no negative "input" from that source!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2003, 11:22 AM
What age did pubic hair started growing?

Oh great! my dd has asthma and I had a diagnosis of endometriosis but have been questioning the dr. as he was so lap happy and didn't really explain much to me. He was the terrible dr. that let me suffer after the lap. I'm fortunate now I have a very good one that takes great care of me.

Audrey what other book are you talking about ordering? I'd like to know. Thanks.

Question for everyone.........To those that started at age 9 or have daugthers that started periods early, do you remember what age you or they started growing pubic hair?

I started at 9 but didn't start bleeding till 12 and I never told my mom about the hair because I couldn't ask her questions as she didn't want to answer any about personal topics. I guess it's possible to never know with some girls when they started with the hair. My sister had periods for a couple of months and never told mom and when our mom finally found out she was mad at my sister. Wish I could have been around when that coversation was going on so I could get some education. I can imagine because mom never informed us so my sister was just getting pay backs I guess. Just curious about the hair issue. If girls start periods earlier it looks as though the hair starts earlier from the description that Audrey gave?

I still remember seeing a daughter and mom in a Disney restroom and the girl looked to be about 9 or10. The mom had a European-like accent. The daughter was asking about the stuff in the glass container showing boxes of pads and tampons. She said "What are these for?" and her mom said, "I tell you when you get older and was laughing and practically dragged her out of the bathroom and laughed more when her daughter begged her to expalin now. Mom repeated "No I'll tell you when you get older." I was thinking, why doesn't this mother tell her dd tonight before it's too late. I can't believe some parents don't inform their daughters. Also when I was in paramedic training, this one paramedic asked me what age is best to explain to his daughter about periods and I told him age 9 as some girls can start this early.
Unread 12-30-2003, 01:44 AM

(((Karen))):

I mentioned this in a previous post:
  Quote:
Another book that we like is "The Period Book (Everything You Didn't Want to Ask but Need to Know)" which is also widely available or available throughwww.chinaberry.com.
My DD, though, doesn't really want to talk about it; she has a couple of older friends going through it already, and so none of it is a surprise to her, plus she remembers well my horrendous periods...

She already has some peach fuzz, and her hair on the legs is coarse and dark, so I expect that vanity will have her shaving before middle school .

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 04:18 AM

Great to read here about you wonderful Moms who are doing such a great job talking to your daughters.... I love my mother dearly, but I will always remember how angry she got when I started my period. Did not understand her reaction then. Now, maybe I understand a bit more.... She had had a hysterectomy at age 38, and a year or so later my period started... maybe she was angry because it drove home to her that she couldn't have any more children (she had four but wanted more).... I don't know, maybe someday she and I will talk about that....

The funniest thing that happened (most embarassing).... I started my period at age 12 and Tampax had this coupon offer -- you could purchase records with proof-of-purchases plus two dollars. So I got albums by The Carpenters and Elton John. (It was the 70's....) My younger brother went nuts! He was dying to know how I was buying the records! I refused to tell him, because he knew nothing about periods and tampons.... and my parents were no help. He pestered me about the records for ages! I bet he still wonders today how I could afford those LP's on my tiny allowance.
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:26 PM
in the same boat, friend!!!!

My 9 year old ( almost 10 ) just started her period...I started my period at 9 as well...

I personally had no problems during the early years, but I wish that my Mom had carried me to the dr. to make sure everything was okay!!

My dd is handling this well...we are so lucky & blessed to have these children!!!

let me know if you need support & we can go thru this together~!

I am so glad to have read this post!!
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:17 AM

My oldest DD, age 10 started onnew Year's Day this year. Her period was long and painful and heavy. (8 days).
I hope and pray that she does not have to go through any of what I've been through.
Although I didn't start until I was 12, I always had dreadfully heavy, long (12-14 day) periods. at least two days of which were spent curled up in a ball in my bed.
She hasn't had her second cycle yet, so I am hoping they will be very sporadic for the next year or two.
She is the first in her class to start and she looks like she is at least 14 or 15.
Since she started developing early, we had already discussed what she should expect & she handled the situation in a very grown up manner. after a couple of days, she had some tears, but a heating pad and Women's cramp reliver seemed to help a little.

I hate that our little girls are having to grow up so fast. It just doesn't seem fair.
Unread 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
My dd is 8 and will be starting soon.

I know this is an old thread but I had to reply back to it again. I just had my daughter now 8 soon to be 9 to the gyn with me lately and asked him what is the normal age for girls to start and he said 8 and above. When my dd saw her pediatrician he said to me that she should start within a year to a year and a half because she has these little bumps on her breasts. He also mentioned during the check-up that it's normal for girls to start at age 8 and above but if it's earlier than it could signal a problem. Basically it's normal for an 8 year old and up to get her period. I knew this before even seeing the dr. and even read it in the book called The Care and Keeping of You by the American Girls collection. She has also had them for maybe six months already and has underarm and hair down below. She's in third grade and may start while in third grade or maybe not till next year. I'm so glad that I've prepared her. She has her own supplies in her bathroom and has already practiced using the pads and keeps some in her backpack. She sometimes has bladder problems and leaks at school so she will sometimes wear a pad. The urologist gave her some medicine to help her with her bladder so I will have to take her pads away temporarily out of her bathroom as she seems to be putting one on everyday for the last week. She also has a discharge so it may be sooner than we think. I'm not surprised at the least. My mother-in-law got hers at 10 and her sisters were 10 or 11 and I was 12.
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:10 PM

My DD is 9 yo, almost 10 and has had those little bumps for about a year now. I've also prepared her "for the big day", but haven't gotten any supplies yet (need a "putting your head in the sand" smilie ). I've been dreading that day for a few years now, because my experience with periods was so awful, right from day one (very heavy bleeding, periods that would run into several months... then no periods for as long as a year, etc. etc.)and I wasn't quite 10 when I had my first period. My mother was 10 but my sister was 13. We're hoping that she'll wait a little longer

She's now in the 4th grade, so it will be easier for her if some of her classmate start their periods during that year. One of the hardest thing for me was that I was the first in my class: nobody else had them and the girls would make fun of me, when they found out (that was such an era of misunderstanding of the female condition!!!)

Hopefully, things will wait a little: there's still no sign of pubic hair or underarm hair. She is very sportive and I've read (somewhere) that girls who practice sports may start later (can you tell I was a couch potato)
Unread 10-05-2005, 11:06 AM

My 10 yo also has problems with bladder leakage from prior intestinal surgeries. I cannot convince her to wear the pads, although we've bought them. She keeps insisting that she will go on a schedule, but I know that at school she is too distracted to be vigilant. A couple of her friends have been enlisted (and entrusted!) to remind her periodically, but she doesn't have the sensation any more of "needing" to go. This seems to be a pre-pubertal thing, as she potty-trained early and only developed this problem in the last year or two.

She, too, has those "buds" but as yet only peach fuzz on the pubis and underarms. I hope for another year, at least! She does have a couple of classmates who have already started (as well as one whose mother is putting her on hormones to delay her puberty). We've discussed the mechanics of it all, but I suspect it still won't be "real" until that day actually occurs. I sure hope it's not until she is 12 or so...like (((Dany))), mine were miserable from the start. And we sure don't need any more hormonal drama added into the "drama queen" nature of my child!

(((Karen))), why would you need to take away your DD's pads with the medicine? She may be using them as a "security blanket" until she can trust the medicine to work? We've discussed medication with my DD and our doctor, but since the problem is a nerve problem it may not work...and she already takes meds for asthma and eczema, so I am hesitant to add anything in, especially as she is not particularly compliant with the meds she should be taking now. I hope the meds work for your DD!

Audrey
Unread 10-05-2005, 11:42 AM

I started at age 14. Even then I wasn't totally prepared.

Yes my mother had the "talk." We didn't talk about it in school until 8th grade! It was in a Home Ec class, which was all girls. It was too little too late for most of us.

I remember when my day finally came, I knew exactly what was going on, but embarrased to tell Mom. Dad acted very kind (the only time he was ever good about it!), he was so nice about it I felt like I was dying or something, even thou I knew better.

I am glad that it all over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register