Help sisters! Urgent sonogram question! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help sisters! Urgent sonogram question! Help sisters! Urgent sonogram question!

Unread 03-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Help sisters! Urgent sonogram question!

Thanks Audrey, for all the valuable info.
I failed to mention that along with the fluid enhanced sono, the doc plans on doing an endometrial biopsy as well. That should give us a little more to go on, right?

So, are you saying that there's really no way to be sure if it's endometrial cancer? Is that correct? I mean, I'm getting two ultrasounds and an endometrial biopsy.....what else should I have to rule out endo cancer once and for all? Or will I always have these worries? If so, just shoot me now.

I'm sorry, you guys are so precious to help me out, I'm just wiped out from worry. I'm going to try to get some sleep.

Love to all,
Tex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 08:15 PM

One more thing, I talked to the nurse in the office afterwards(who is a friend) and she said that the doc suspects an endometrial polyp is causing the cloudiness (and all my bleeding).

Audrey, does this sound feasible?

Goodnight. :-)

Tex
Unread 03-22-2003, 01:21 PM

Anne:

Yes, a polyp could look a bit "cloudy" depending on so many factors, and certainly could be responsible for your bleeding! Hopefully, the saline infusion can define that area a bit better and give your doctor a good "target" for the biopsy.

We always have the concern that a biopsy, if not specifically targeted (especially in a cancer's early stages) may still not define the pathology. My understanding is that a D&C may still be needed to truly rule in or out endometrial cancer (Fran Drescher -- the "Nanny" -- writes about this in her book, "Cancer Schmancer"). And adeno, as I mentioned before, can only be diagnosed truly with the pathology AFTER a hyst.

Now, please, let all that worry go. Hopefully, you will have answers to all these questions with next week's procedure, and can get the treatment that you need, whether it's a hysterectomy or some alternative.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2003, 06:02 AM

Hi Tex,

I just wanted to add my own personal experience, as I had basically the same tests that you are having, to diagnose the cause of dysfunctional uterine bleeding and painful periods. First was a transvaginal ultrasound, which showed some thickening of the uterus. My gyn followed that up with an endometrial biopsy which came back cancer free. After that, we discussed options for treatment, and he did an ultrasound with saline infusion to get a better look. From that, he identified a couple small fibroids and something he though might be a polyp. Because the fibroids were small, we decided on outpatient surgery to remove them, and at the same time, he did a D&C. Labs from that resulted in a diagnosis of endometrial cancer, grade 3. A week after the diagnosis, I had a TAH/BSO, and the cancer was staged at 1b. It had been caught very early, had only minimally invaded the uterine wall, and had not spread.

As Audrey pointed out, the endo biopsy is not foolproof. When mine was done, it was not targeted to a specific area (what my gyn thought might be a polyp turned out to be the cancer, but the endo biopsy was done before the saline infusion ultrasound). Maybe in your case, it can be more targeted, and give a more certain result. I was certainly glad I went the route I did, as my cancer would probably have gone undiagnosed for some time had the D&C not been done. It was outpatient surgery, done first thing in the morning, and I was home by mid afternoon. Some cramping afterward, but no big deal in comparison to the cramping I had been enduring with my periods. I'd highly recommend that you talk to your doctor about doing a D&C, so you can put your worries to rest.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much.

Cheryl
Unread 03-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Wow Cheryl
Our stories are exactly the same......This is so frightening.....but thank God there are tests and/or procedures that can be done to dx this early, which is crucial.
Chris

endometrial (uterine) adenocarcinoma stage 1a, grade 2
Unread 03-24-2003, 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the info on the value of D&Cs.
So, even if my saline infused ultrasound comes back good, and my endo biopsy comes back negative, I still need to press for a D&C?

What if my doc disagrees about doing a D&C in light of negative test results? How much time would I have to find another doc to do a D&C before the cancer would spread?
This is scaring the bejeebers out of me!

Tex

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register