Surgery Monday. home today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Monday. home today Surgery Monday. home today

Unread 03-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Surgery Monday. home today

Hi all:

Home from the castle, Made it in one piece. Both ovaries are gone and now just waiting and wondering what will happen next?

Also had birch sling done on bladder. What an uncomfortable procedure. Catheter came out yesterday along with drainage tube but seem to be in bathroom a lot. Is this normal? Also my stomach looks like i'm due for a baby any day, GAS and wow it hurts. Any suggestions.

Help!

Thanks Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 07:46 PM

Hi Princess Donna!

Welcome home from the castle!!!!

Yes, the symptoms you describe seem very typical to me. I didn't have all the repair work that you did, but my bladder and bowel were both very angry for quite a while after being poked, prodded and slung around during surgery. Pain? Yes. Swelling? Uh-huh. Urgency? Yep, that too. It seemed like when I had to go, I had to go NOW! Normally I'm not like that.

Suggestions? Take it very easy on your delicately healing self. Rest alot, feet up. Drink lots of water, even though this will also cause more voiding.... but it really is something your body needs for good healing right now. Do take some short, easy walks around the house every so often, to get things awake and moving.

Gas? Walking around helps that a bit, too. Perhaps try some soothing peppermint tea.... avoid gassy foods (that varies as to what those are according to the person), and definitely avoid carbonated drinks.

Some say that warmer water (as opposed to iced) can be easier on you, too.

No more ovaries? Try not to expect symptoms; many gals don't have any. Listen to your body and (this may sound silly) write down how you are feeling throughout this recovery.... it will really come in handy when you see the DR for a followup.

Stick around sweetie; read all the stuff about taking care of post op princesses and be very careful not to overdo! ~ we'll be here for ya!

s,
Unread 03-21-2003, 08:06 PM

Hi Donna,

Welcome home and congratulations on being on the other side! I agree, everything you're describing sure sounds normal. And I also want to second the suggestion that you not worry too much yet about the "no ovaries." I also had both ovaries removed, just over 4 weeks ago. No HRT, to try to prevent any further endometrial growth. I was worried that I would be immediately thrust into the intense miseries of menopause. But really, it's been mild. An occasional hot flash, a little sweating at night, my friends tell me I am a little, um, short-fused. But I feel very lucky compared to many women, and I hope you will also have an easier time of it.

Anyway, you're on your way to recovery. Take it easy, now, rest, drink TONS of fluids, short walks. The gas is bad for a little while, and bladder and bowels can both be uncomfortable for a while too, but every day there will be a little improvement and before you know it, you will be feeling SOOOOO much better.

My first few days after getting home from the hospital, I got so much help and support on this message board. Be sure to check back often. Pretty much every issue that arose for me was discussed on this site - it has been invaluable.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 03:44 AM
Toonces & Sandy

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, I am planning on doing nothing but taking care of me for the next 6 weeks and MDH will help also. Thanks so much to both of you.

Donna

P.S. One got up at 1:00am and 6a.m. to pee, pretty good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register