I am a little worried about my pets... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a little worried about my pets... I am a little worried about my pets...

Unread 03-21-2003, 07:26 PM
I am a little worried about my pets...

...jumping up on me after surgery. I know this sounds silly, but I have three, wonderful dogs. They are well behaved, and have pretty good manners (most of the time), but just a few moments ago, while resting on the couch, the golden retriever puppy came flying in the door behind our 4 pound Yorkie, and both of them took a flying leap onto me. All I could think about is my upcoming surgery. AHHHH!
:eyes:

Do I need to build a wall around myself for a few weeks?

The Yorkie usually sleeps under my right side or on top of my tummy...do I need to start teaching her to sleep on DH?

The puppy is learning, but 50 pounds of accidental puppy force could do some damage, I would think.

Sorry, I know it is silly, but I am truly worried...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 07:50 PM

MssBailey,

Yes, I think you need to do something about your animals.

We have a Cairn Terrier (25 lbs) and 2 cats, 12 & 17 lbs. - I did not want any of them jumping on me after surgery.

When I was reclined on the sofa, during the day, I used a baby gate to shield me from them. I positioned it so that my dog could only jump up where my feet were & I had time to raise my hands & discourage him from going further. I kept a couple of pillows around my abdomen to guard against the cats.

None of our animals sleep with us at night. If yours do, you might want to start teaching them to stay off the bed. And, definitely encourage your DH to intercede when necessary.

Good luck!
Unread 03-21-2003, 09:16 PM

I had three small dogs when I had my hysterectomy. (One has since died.) All of my dogs were used to sleeping on the bed and one would occasionally climb on top of me. I used pillows and caution and did OK. As you probably know already, short of locking them up and listening to them cry, once your dog is used to sleeping on the bed you aren't going to change his/her mind!

Joselle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2003, 10:39 PM

I have two cats, one a twenty pounder!! They snuggle in the bed with us and walk all over us to wake us up to feed them in the a.m. I slept with a pillow on top of me (we have feather pillows) when I lay on my back for the first two or three weeks. It wasn't too uncomfortable and made it easier to have something to support my stomach with when I was finally able to roll onto my side. I think they only actually got near my stomach once. One good scream and they were very carefull after that.
Unread 03-21-2003, 11:11 PM

Hi,

You are not being silly in worrying about your dogs, particularly the golden retriever, jumping up on you after surgery. Fifty pounds of flying puppy could certainly cause some damage!

I am also a pet lover and wound up sending three of my dogs (English springer spaniels) to stay at a friend's house until I was a few weeks post-op. The rest of the "kids" got to stay at home.

I have seen anti-jumping harnesses advertised in a few pet catalogs. I haven't personally used this product, but it is supposed to help prevent unwanted jumping. If you're interested, you can view the item online at http://www.petedge.com and then enter jump in the search area.

Good luck,

Jan
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:51 AM

mssbailey, you probably should take precautions, better safe than sorry.

My usually exhuberant 70 pound, 18 month old pup has been as gentle as can be around me. The only near mishap was when she got tangled in the catheter tubing I had to wear home.

The cat is another story. He's a 15 pounder, and must sleep on me. I carry a firm feather pillow around the house with me. I barely feel it when he walks on me, or even when he jumps.

I am more concerned about taking my pup out by myself once DH returns to work next week.
Unread 03-22-2003, 06:44 AM

I have a Bichon, He has always slept with me and thinks of me as his own personal jungle gym :P

When i got home I held a pillow on my stomach as a precaution incase he got the need to climb on my stomach.

Odd though he totally avoided my stomach for some time and just layed beside me and gave me soft kisses on my eye from time to time. I think he just knew something was wrong down there and he didnt bother it.

Hopefully you will be as fortunate
Unread 03-22-2003, 08:20 AM
I agree with Tammers...

Your pets are much more atuned to what it wrong with you than you would ever think!

I have 3 cats, largest one is 18 lbs. They all know that something is wrong and not a one has tried to sit or lie on my tummy.

My Dusty was totally withdrawn while I was in the hospital. My DSO said that he has never seen Dusty like this. Searching the house for me, sleeping fitfully in my place in the bed and not eating.

Once I returned home, Dusty has become my "protector". He doesn't leave my side and follows me around the house. When I go to bed (I sleep on my side with a pillow in front of my incision) Dusty curls up in front of my tummy pillow and meows at the others if they get too close.

Your fur babies know...and it will just take a gentle no and push away and they will not jump on you.

**hugs**
Unread 03-22-2003, 10:21 AM

Do your pets seem to pick up on your body language? One of my best friends has low vision and has a guide dog (a boxer). My friend went through a couple of brief hospitalizations recently. The boxer stayed with her in the room both times. He got up on the bed with her *very* gently, and knew that he should avoid the IV rig. He also seemed to know that she was sore after having her gall bladder removed, and he avoided leaning on her belly. It was amazing. (In comparison, a few years back her former BF accidentally sat on her foot the day after she had it surgically repaired, and didn't understand right away why she was screaming, although I'm sure her foot didn't feel like part of the couch under his butt! Now, which one was more perceptive?)

On the other hand, some relatives of mine have a full-grown golden retriever with absolutely no sense of her own size or strength. She's a sweet-tempered dog, but a complete klutz, and she once walked across the backs of my nephew's legs while he still had sensitive scars after orthopedic surgery. Didn't do any real damage, but the poor kid wasn't pleased about it.

Mongie's suggestion of a baby gate may be a good solution! Maybe you should start getting the dogs used to it now, though; you won't get any rest if they're surprised by the change and whimper at night.

Good luck with the puppy patrol,
Juliepede
Unread 03-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Thanks so much to my new-found friends! I appreciate the advice, and I will look into a gate of some type.

My dogs do seem to be sensitive to my feelings and moods - perhaps this will pour over into them sensing discomfort. I hope so.

Thanks again...it is nice to know that there are other "fur-lovers" our there to help!

mss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register